Shooting with injuries [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with injuries

acaligunner
12-30-2011, 11:05
Hi Mas, I own a few Benelli SG's (M1,M2, & Super Nova), the problem I have is that I have a Rotator Cuff tear on my R shoulder. No matter what position I shoulder the SG, I'm done by the 3-5 shot. I can shoot my M1A, FN, and H&K 308's fine but have a lot of trouble shooting my SG's. Since you See a lot of different shooters I am wondering if you have ever seen a situation like mine? I grew up reading your many articles and SD tactics, I learned about the G17 in a gun article you wrote in, Lol. Thank you Mas. acaligunner

Mas Ayoob
12-30-2011, 19:24
Yow, rotator cuff injuries are VERY susceptible to being aggravated by heavy recoil from long guns. Be REALLY careful.

When I had a torn rotator cuff, I used a Steyr AUG .223 for my long gun needs until it healed up.

If you just gotta shoot a shotgun, I'd consider a "bird cage" muzzle brake, Limbsaver recoil pad, maybe a mercury insert in the stock, and anything else I could do to reduce recoil and save the shoulder.

Another option is the pec-vest technique, developed by Bill Groce when he was head of firearms training at OPOTA, the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy. It requires body armor (works fine with soft, concealable Kevlar.)

Take a wide stance, strong side leg back. Pivot at the hips to square your chest with the identified threat. Mount the butt of the shotgun on the upper pectoralis muscle, instead of the shoulder. Keep shoulders forward, pull in tight, and get to shooting. It's amazing how well the vest absorbs the recoil.

Because squared chest pulls the support arm back a little, you may find yourself holding the rear of the forend. If you're going to shoot this way all the time, have the buttstock reduced to a shorter pull length. The technique is explained in more depth, and illustrated, in my book "StressFire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun" and my training DVD "StressFire Part II, Shotgun"), both available at Police Bookshelf, 800-624-9049.

Best of luck to you, and please, BE CAREFUL,

Mas

acaligunner
12-30-2011, 21:56
Thank you Mas, I will look into that shooting position. If that does not work, it looks like I just may transfer all 3 of my SG's to my Brother. I was thinking about it may just be the Benelli's lighter weight (compared to my other rifles). I think re-learning the 5.56 rifle may be a good idea
Also. Thank you once again, acaligunner