Anyone's press in a garage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's press in a garage?

crni4
12-30-2011, 20:37
Thinking of starting to reload, so one of many questions is location. Live in north TX area with very hot summers. Garage is not insulated. Besides the fact that it would be hot for me, any danger or problems with powder, primers, rounds storage in a hot garage? Another option is laundry room, but washer/drier, detergents etc seem to be more of an issue than just heat? Am I wrong?

Thanks, and you all need to stop making reloading sound so much fun. You will cost me a lot of money ! ;)

jdavionic
12-30-2011, 20:55
Thinking of starting to reload, so one of many questions is location. Live in north TX area with very hot summers. Garage is not insulated. Besides the fact that it would be hot for me, any danger or problems with powder, primers, rounds storage in a hot garage? Another option is laundry room, but washer/drier, detergents etc seem to be more of an issue than just heat? Am I wrong?

Thanks, and you all need to stop making reloading sound so much fun. You will cost me a lot of money ! ;)

I live in GA and my reloading bench and supplies are in the garage. I store the primers separate from the powder. Ammo cans for both. My garage is not insulated with the exception that 3 sides are in the earth. It's a drive under 3-car garage.

The only issue that I encounter is in the colder months, it can get pretty cold down there. However I've got a large heater that I keep away from the bench and it takes the bite out of the cold when I'm reloading. I reload pretty often since I need the rounds for competing and I usually shoot matches every week.

ron59
12-30-2011, 21:04
I also load in the garage. I live near Charlotte, NC and it gets HOT here, and very humid. Been doing it 2.5 years, no problems whatsoever, and I've surpassed 40,000 rounds easy. I do keep powders that I'm not using in the house, and most of my primers. I will bring out a brick (1000 primers) at a time, leave the rest inside. But I have an 8-pound jug of TG that I keep in the garage, that's what I'm using right now.

As jdavionic stated... my problems are more with winter. I also have an oil-type radiator heater that I can turn on that raises the temps up 10 degrees or so, makes a difference.

texas 48
12-30-2011, 21:41
I live in San Antonio. Do most of my loading from Nov to March. Keep all my supplies in the Garage. I Make sure I Have small dessicant bags in my powder containers and anti tarnish emitters in sealed plastic cans where I store brass. Bullets are stored in a shaded shed that is 10 to 15 degrees complete in ammo cans with dessicant bags and the emitters in the cans . won't store in the house. Have been doing it for 5 years with no issues.

WiskyT
12-30-2011, 21:42
I live near Charlotte as well and I could load nude in my garage in the winter. I don't even think about doing any activity in the garage after 0800 in the summer. I reload in the house. My casting is done in the garage. I make a heap of bullets in the winter and only cast at night in the summer if I really need something.

SPIN2010
12-30-2011, 21:44
Hmmm ... is it bad to keep your press in the livingroom? :whistling:

Breadman03
12-30-2011, 21:50
Hmmm ... is it bad to keep your press in the livingroom? :whistling:

Only if the better half says so. But don't use a pepper shaker as a powder trickler.

F106 Fan
12-30-2011, 22:30
I live in northern California and we don't really have seasons; we have nuances.

Nevertheless, it gets blistering hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter so I only reload when the garage is comfortable.

I keep my powder and primers inside the house and just haul out enough for the work at hand.

Richard

Zombie Steve
12-30-2011, 23:05
Only if the better half says so. But don't use a pepper shaker as a powder trickler.

Pass the saltpeter and puhraise the Lawd!

Glocklvr
12-30-2011, 23:10
All kinds of ways to overcome that nasty weather. I used to do my handloading after dark with garage door up and back door open and a fan blowing to circulate air. Try and store powder and primers in cool dry place. Be safe and welcome to an enjoyable aspect of our passion.:wavey:

WiskyT
12-31-2011, 06:51
I live in northern California and we don't really have seasons; we have nuances.

Nevertheless, it gets blistering hot in the summer (75) and freezing cold in the winter (55) so I only reload when the garage is comfortable.

I keep my powder and primers inside the house and just haul out enough for the work at hand.

Richard

SinCityGlocker
12-31-2011, 07:02
I had my press in the garage for 2 years in las vegas. No problems even at 115*.

cyberiad
12-31-2011, 07:38
I live in NC too and load in my garage. I keep primers and powder in the house except for a few hundred primers in pick up tubes and whatever powder is in the measure. I put a thermometer and humidity gauge near my bench and in the summer it will get up to the low 80's F with pretty high humidity but I have not had any problem. In the summer I usually load at night.

I load or have loaded 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 special and 9mm and haven't noticed any issues at all.

WiskyT
12-31-2011, 08:04
I had my press in the garage for 2 years in las vegas. No problems even at 115*.

I'd look like one of those worms that tires to make it across a tennis court. My garage gets up to about a million degrees. It's like an attic it's so hot.

Japle
12-31-2011, 08:13
I live in central Florida. All my reloading stuff is in the garage. Most of my loading is done between October and June, when the temps are reasonable.

I just finished loading 9mm (2800 rounds) and am now working my way through my .45ACP brass. I finished my .223s in November.

The heat won't bother your powder and primers at all. The lube in cast bullets might get sorta soft, though!!

ken grant
12-31-2011, 09:05
In my garage I built a small room in one corner,insulated it,installed a small a/c until through the wall and a small electric oil filled heater.

When wanting to load in the summer,I just go out,turn on the A/C and start loading.
In the winter when it is real cold,I go out and turn on the heater, wait awhile and then go out and start loading.

The room cools off much faster than it warms up.

WiskyT
12-31-2011, 09:26
In my garage I built a small room in one corner,insulated it,installed a small a/c until through the wall and a small electric oil filled heater.

When wanting to load in the summer,I just go out,turn on the A/C and start loading.
In the winter when it is real cold,I go out and turn on the heater, wait awhile and then go out and start loading.

The room cools off much faster than it warms up.

That's not a bad way to go for a guy who can frame out a couple of walls. I'd need a contractor of course.

jellis11
12-31-2011, 09:28
Thanks for asking that question. I live down in SC and was wondering the same thing. Was probably gonna ask this in the next week to see what you all thought about it.

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 09:34
I know two people who do. I keep mine in my reloading room.

WiskyT
12-31-2011, 10:00
Thanks for asking that question. I live down in SC and was wondering the same thing. Was probably gonna ask this in the next week to see what you all thought about it.

you can start a new thread next week. Most of us will have forgotten this whole exchange by then.

crni4
12-31-2011, 10:18
Thanks for all replies. Just came back from a gun show, and my first reloading purchases ( except ABC of reloading i got few weeks ago) block of cci primers, some bullets, flip tray, and lyman 49th edition book. Later today ordering the press.

Lots of going back and forth on which way to go (lee turrent clasdic v 550 v square deal). Been leaning towards Lee for cost reasons, but as soon as my wife saw the youtube videos of lee and 550, she said i MUST get 550. Buy once, cry once. Who am i not to oblige? :)

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 10:41
your wife is right.

F106 Fan
12-31-2011, 11:25
You can save on the freight if you order your Dillon stuff through BrianEnos.com. Free shipping on orders >= $400

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

There are some 'packages' that include the other 'must have' stuff.

Richard

GioaJack
12-31-2011, 11:47
What's a garage and why do you people insist on having so many children that you dont have a spare bedroom?

Jack

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2011, 12:09
What's a garage and why do you people insist on having so many children that you dont have a spare bedroom?

Jack

Working on it, last one in the house is a junior in HS, when she moves out, her room is mine. I already have one "man room", which was the compromise to allow more than four pillows and occasional lace in the master bedroom. Mrs. Cavalry Doc took the oldest kids room, so the next one is mine.

Until then, my garage is insulated, sides, ceiling and door. I had a large AC/Heat vent run out to the garage too when I upgraded my AC/Heating unit, it stays pretty comfortable.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/reloadingstation.jpg

thorn137
12-31-2011, 12:10

My reloading bench IS in my daughter's bedroom ;).

thorn

TX Archer
12-31-2011, 16:38
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/reloadingstation.jpg
That's purty! With the exception of the ugly rug. :whistling:
http://www.patiostore.com/backyard/images/Team-Sports-America-mats-texas-tech.jpg

michael e
12-31-2011, 16:46
I used to when I still lived at my parents house. It was hell in Texas summers, but since I woke up at 4am to go to work it was ok to load a few every morning. I stored my primers and powder in the house when not using, the dies all in ammo cans. Now my setup is in my extra bedroom, no way could I go back to having to load in a garage.

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2011, 17:24
That's purty! With the exception of the ugly rug. :whistling:
http://www.patiostore.com/backyard/images/Team-Sports-America-mats-texas-tech.jpg

What team is that?

TX Archer
12-31-2011, 17:39
What team is that?
The team that didn't play in late December or early January. :embarassed:

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2011, 18:55
The team that didn't play in late December or early January. :embarassed:

Just joking with you. I am not a sports guy. My wife asked me about some bowl game, and I had to ask which sport, I think it ended up being field hockey or synchronized swimming....... I only participated in extreme sports, not skateboard or things like that, just military stuff.

My degree says "University of Texas", but all of my instructors were military. Been on campus maybe three or four times.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-2.gif

PCJim
01-01-2012, 10:45
South Florida here. All the reloading equipment is in the garage - no heat or a/c. Powder and primers are stored inside where the a/c keeps conditions proper. I have had a can of Unique go bad on me in the garage, not sure whether it was bad when purchased or after storing for a year. Either way, the shrubs sure liked it.

Most important is to keep an eye on your equipment. Spray a light mist of some kind of rust inhibitor (oil or other) on the equipment, especially Lee dies, if a rust sheen bothers you.

FLSlim
01-01-2012, 14:50
Looks like this has been covered. Mine is in the garage (coastal FL), but I do keep powder and primers in the house. With our humidity, I keep dies, etc wiped down with a little gun oil to prevent corrosion.

GioaJack
01-01-2012, 14:52
What's humidity?

Jack

PCJim
01-01-2012, 20:30
What's humidity?

Jack

Its what keeps us flatlanders' skin looking so healthy. Not to mention that it also works to influence the local womenfolk to wear a lot less than those sub-zero parkas that you're used to seeing at altitude. :wow:

Zombie Steve
01-01-2012, 20:34
Its what keeps us flatlanders' skin looking so healthy. Not to mention that it also works to influence the local womenfolk to wear a lot less than those sub-zero parkas that you're used to seeing at altitude. :wow:

When it's cold out they don't go wandering off. Also, things aren't as stinky in the cold.

Cavalry Doc
01-01-2012, 21:08
When it's cold out they don't go wandering off. Also, things aren't as stinky in the cold.

Hmmmm. Ask them to try soap.

Zombie Steve
01-01-2012, 21:13
Just less sweating. What did you think I meant? :whistling:

Cavalry Doc
01-01-2012, 21:21
Just less sweating. What did you think I meant? :whistling:

Having lived outdoors for a month at a time, in several feet of snow, trust me, soap is still nice to have around. If you didn't get what I meant, you (and your women) obviously have access to running water and soap. Good for you.