My frog lube update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My frog lube update

awdxtc
12-30-2011, 21:10
I'll keep this short and sweet. I got my frog lube a few months ago. I went to the range about 3 days ago and put a few hundred rounds through the gun. I shot cci blazer, Hornady 155 gn xtp and underwood 135 gn noslers. I got around to cleaning the gun today. I ran two cleaning patches through the barrel then the brush that glock supplies. There was almost nothing on the brush. The point is this product works....period. Clean up could not be easier. Dirt, carbon, etc simply wipe off. The gun was flawless as always.

21Carrier
12-31-2011, 03:43
I agree. It has made my Glock barrels INSANELY easy to clean. All I have to do is run the Glock brush through a few times, then run a patch through it, and it looks new. And there's no more copper fouling. Some guy in General Glocking said it reduced and/or eliminated leading in his barrels. I don't shoot lead, so I don't know. I love the stuff. I especially love that it's non-toxic and doesn't stink. I didn't think that I cared about that stuff until I started using it. Now that I don't have to deal with the smell of the other stuff, I really like that about it. It has worked great on all three Glocks and the Delta Elite for a few months now. I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Oh yeah, it also worked wonders on my reloading press.

nickE10mm
12-31-2011, 07:38
I'm intrigued....

Definitely a product I'll try out in the future....

rcd567
12-31-2011, 09:35
Ya know, I'm not even sure how you guys are catching these frogs???:dunno: Earlier this fall, I'm chasing grass frogs around the yard, diving at these things, grabbing and trying to hold on. They are definately slippery. I ended up catching a couple...but wasn't sure exactly where the lube comes from? Sooo, I ended up just kind of wringing them out kind of like a wet rag over the broken down parts of my gun.

I gotta tell ya. I'm not too impressed.

What? What?
Happy New Year.:supergrin:

inspectorjj
12-31-2011, 09:40
Ya know, I'm not even sure how you guys are catching these frogs???:dunno: Earlier this fall, I'm chasing grass frogs around the yard, diving at these things, grabbing and trying to hold on. They are definately slippery. I ended up catching a couple...but wasn't sure exactly where the lube comes from? Sooo, I ended up just kind of wringing them out kind of like a wet rag over the broken down parts of my gun.

Fer some reason, I pictured your avatar doing exactly what you said up there and busted out laughing to myself.

nickE10mm
12-31-2011, 09:40
I agree, wringing them out was a good idea.

JimIsland
12-31-2011, 10:06
Works for me too. Very easy clean up even after a heavy shooting day at the range.

arushus
12-31-2011, 13:50
So thats how you get the lube huh? You have to wring it outta the frogs?!?! Man do I feel stupid now, here Ive been holding the damn things over my guns waiting for them to piss on the guns for me! Glad we got that straightened out!

rcd567
12-31-2011, 14:02
So thats how you get the lube huh? You have to wring it outta the frogs?!?! Man do I feel stupid now, here Ive been holding the damn things over my guns waiting for them to piss on the guns for me! Glad we got that straightened out!

Dang, they gotta pee on the gun? Wringing them out kind a leaves them in bad shape so maybe your right. If you force feed them some Budweiser maybe they'll pee faster?

Edit to say, isn't it a lot easier just using something like WD40? Or is this frog pee that much better?

glock20c10mm
12-31-2011, 14:39

I find the chemical properties of the oil in the frog's hair work the magic. Seems to work well just rubbing the gun parts on the frog. Though when it comes to the inside of the barrel I simply push a small tree frog through with a brass jag. And before the PETA folks get excited, YES, I first file off the spike at the forward end of the brass jag. Leaves the frogs happy, the gun happy, and me happy. What's not to like?:dunno:

21Carrier
12-31-2011, 19:37

Dang, they gotta pee on the gun? Wringing them out kind a leaves them in bad shape so maybe your right. If you force feed them some Budweiser maybe they'll pee faster?

Edit to say, isn't it a lot easier just using something like WD40? Or is this frog pee that much better?

It works either way. If you wring them out, they are only good for one use (unless the excess is promptly mixed with unicorn tears, whipped with a walrus's ***** bone, then refrigerated to -11*F). This is how Frog Lube extracts the paste form. For the liquid form, the most efficient method is to insert a catheter (it's tough locating a frog's pecker). From there, you can collect the urine. A steady diet of Budweiser helps, but can dilute the extract.

For real, though, the stuff works well. I just hate all the salesmen that over-hype the product. They make it sound like genuine snake oil.

danattherock
12-31-2011, 23:46
Bought a kit (paste and oil) from Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out soon. Any tricks to putting it on the first time. Heard you need to heat the gun, but not sure how a blow dryer will get the metal hot enough to matter. Any suggestion? Got a few guns I want to apply it on. All reports have it sounding like the bee's knees.

-Dan

GoBigOrange
01-01-2012, 00:28
Aside from its ability to make clean-up easier, have you all noticed how well it lubricates? Or is it not a lubricant?

I'm interested in trying it but I don't know much about it. I'm hesitant because it is quite expensive.

rcd567
01-01-2012, 08:00
Bought a kit (paste and oil) from Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out soon. Any tricks to putting it on the first time. Heard you need to heat the gun, but not sure how a blow dryer will get the metal hot enough to matter. Any suggestion? Got a few guns I want to apply it on. All reports have it sounding like the bee's knees.

-Dan

Are you kiddin me? Bees knees? Isn't collecting frog pee hard enough? Now we have to collect bee knees? Holy crap! Who normally does this job?:shocked:

glock20c10mm
01-01-2012, 12:39

-Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTY3W-awET4

Wonder140
01-01-2012, 13:51

What? What?
Happy New Year.:supergrin:

I could see this whole thing play out in my head and it made it all the better. Awesome!! lol!

gofastman
01-01-2012, 17:40
When a weapon is fired, carbon, lead, copper, brass and other fouling particles are produced. FrogLube™ is a heavy specific gravity food grade substance that creeps deep into the pores of the metal and acts as if to ‘season’ the surface of the bore, any friction points and all areas treated with the lube
:upeyes:
I'm not saying it doesnt work, but come on...

danattherock
01-01-2012, 18:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTY3W-awET4

Thanks man, I appreciate the link.

rcd567
01-03-2012, 11:06
:upeyes:
I'm not saying it doesnt work, but come on...

Egg Zactly. It's easier to believe my story about frog pee and bee's knees than lube creeping into the pores of the steel.:rofl:

glock20c10mm
01-03-2012, 17:13
Thanks man, I appreciate the link.
:thumbsup:

We have to give 21Carrier some credit too. If I'm not mistaken he did the video.

BTW, I do not use Frog's Poob. I may at some point, but for now am extremely happy with M-Pro 7 cleaner and oil and have been for years (same as the newer labeled stuff under Hoppe's Elite).

The main thing that leaves me thinking twice about the Frog Lube is it is two separate products (oil and goop) and both do the same thing for different applications in the same application of a single cleaning process per gun. Now how much sense does that make over what I use currently that also makes consecutive cleanings much much easier over most other conventional products?:supergrin:

awdxtc
01-04-2012, 19:47
I only used the paste the first two times, from there on I have only used the oil. Maybe some of you guys should try it and see if you like like before saying it couldn't

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

glock20c10mm
01-04-2012, 23:54
I only used the paste the first two times, from there on I have only used the oil. Maybe some of you guys should try it and see if you like like before saying it couldn't

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Couldn't what?

bruzer
01-05-2012, 00:11
Excellent.
Mike

awdxtc
01-05-2012, 18:44
Couldn't what?

Work.

21Carrier
01-05-2012, 21:48
Here's my take on Frog Lube:

They are WAAAAAYYYYYYYY over-selling this stuff. They (Larry Lasky [owner] and vendors) are making OUTRAGEOUS claims trying to sell FL. All the crap they are saying is total horse ****, and is really doing a disservice to the product. They are making incredible claims that are not true (I have personally debunked the increased velocity claim), and bragging about test data that they will not release. To me, and everyone with any sense, it sounds like pure snake oil. That the name is so similar to snake oil really doesn't help things. In my opinion, if they continue with their marketing strategy, they will run the product into the ground. As it is, Frog Lube is becoming a joke around here, which is truly a shame. But I don't blame you guys for joking about it, they make it sound ridiculous.

HOWEVER, the stuff works. I am a huge believer in Frog Lube's abilities. I've now used it for 3 months, and it works great. I've used it on all of my Glocks, my Delta Elite, my Dillon press, and now my LC9 (hasn't been fired yet). It lubricates VERY well, and it makes cleaning unbelievably easy. I no longer get copper fouling in my Glock barrels (still do in rougher, non-Tenifer barrels, but not as much), and cleanup in Glock barrels only requires the nylon Glock brush and about 2 passes. Everything else cleans up with a simple wipe-down. It also made my triggers feel MUCH better, and that goes for all of my guns. Finally, the smell/non-toxic nature is a huge benefit, and one that I didn't realize I would appreciate.

Anyone that's on the fence, I highly recommend you try it. I've only heard of one negative report, and that was a guy that ran a 1911 dry. No 1911 should be run dry. I do heat my guns for the first few applications, but not because I believe there are magic "pores" in the metal. When the metal is hot, the paste melts when you apply it. That makes application much better, and it allows it to get down into all the nooks and crannies. Also, after wiping treated metal dry, if you heat it back up, it does start to "sweat" liquid Frog Lube. It's pretty cool. Even though there aren't "pores" in the metal, all metals have tiny hills and valleys, and I'm convinced small amounts of the stuff get caught in them. When the gun heats up during firing, it melts, and lubricates.

Anyway, decide for yourself, but it's been exceptional on everything in my experience. It also conditions leather well.

nickE10mm
01-06-2012, 05:34
Here's my take on Frog Lube:

They are WAAAAAYYYYYYYY over-selling this stuff. They (Larry Lasky [owner] and vendors) are making OUTRAGEOUS claims trying to sell FL. All the crap they are saying is total horse ****, and is really doing a disservice to the product. They are making incredible claims that are not true (I have personally debunked the increased velocity claim), and bragging about test data that they will not release. To me, and everyone with any sense, it sounds like pure snake oil. That the name is so similar to snake oil really doesn't help things. In my opinion, if they continue with their marketing strategy, they will run the product into the ground. As it is, Frog Lube is becoming a joke around here, which is truly a shame. But I don't blame you guys for joking about it, they make it sound ridiculous.

HOWEVER, the stuff works. I am a huge believer in Frog Lube's abilities. I've now used it for 3 months, and it works great. I've used it on all of my Glocks, my Delta Elite, my Dillon press, and now my LC9 (hasn't been fired yet). It lubricates VERY well, and it makes cleaning unbelievably easy. I no longer get copper fouling in my Glock barrels (still do in rougher, non-Tenifer barrels, but not as much), and cleanup in Glock barrels only requires the nylon Glock brush and about 2 passes. Everything else cleans up with a simple wipe-down. It also made my triggers feel MUCH better, and that goes for all of my guns. Finally, the smell/non-toxic nature is a huge benefit, and one that I didn't realize I would appreciate.

Anyone that's on the fence, I highly recommend you try it. I've only heard of one negative report, and that was a guy that ran a 1911 dry. No 1911 should be run dry. I do heat my guns for the first few applications, but not because I believe there are magic "pores" in the metal. When the metal is hot, the paste melts when you apply it. That makes application much better, and it allows it to get down into all the nooks and crannies. Also, after wiping treated metal dry, if you heat it back up, it does start to "sweat" liquid Frog Lube. It's pretty cool. Even though there aren't "pores" in the metal, all metals have tiny hills and valleys, and I'm convinced small amounts of the stuff get caught in them. When the gun heats up during firing, it melts, and lubricates.

Anyway, decide for yourself, but it's been exceptional on everything in my experience. It also conditions leather well.

Well said... maybe they should use YOUR posting to make a believable advertisement, bud. :cool:

nickE10mm
01-06-2012, 05:37
...and now my LC9 (hasn't been fired yet).....

I'd like to hear your impressions on this pistol as I've been considering one, myself. Are you posting in the "9" forum or ... ?

21Carrier
01-06-2012, 09:54
I'd like to hear your impressions on this pistol as I've been considering one, myself. Are you posting in the "9" forum or ... ?

I'll post my impressions here in the 10 Ring. I know it's not a 10, but they're not too strict around here about our subject matter, and it seems there are a few people interested in it. I'll make sure I let you know how it works out.

arushus
01-06-2012, 12:21
I'll post my impressions here in the 10 Ring. I know it's not a 10, but they're not too strict around here about our subject matter, and it seems there are a few people interested in it. I'll make sure I let you know how it works out.

I'd do the same thing. There is rarely ever a mod here, and Ive never seen a locked thread here. I post pretty much everything here, 10mm or not, because the only people's opinions I really care to hear are the fellas around here, not some smartass in general glocking that has to flame every question, then there is the grammar nazi's - and of course I know how to spell and punctuate correctly, most, if not all, of us do, but I choose not to out of expediency - anyway, I like it here, and unless I really wanna hear what every tom, dick, and harry thinks, I post it here for you guys!

nickE10mm
01-06-2012, 12:26
I'd do the same thing. There is rarely ever a mod here, and Ive never seen a locked thread here. I post pretty much everything here, 10mm or not, because the only people's opinions I really care to hear are the fellas around here, not some smartass in general glocking that has to flame every question, then there is the grammar nazi's - and of course I know how to spell and punctuate correctly, most, if not all, of us do, but I choose not to out of expediency - anyway, I like it here, and unless I really wanna hear what every tom, dick, and harry thinks, I post it here for you guys!

Right you are!

21Carrier
01-06-2012, 22:46
Ive never seen a locked thread here.

Was Fedor before your time? He got one locked once. Well, I helped. He was the biggest d-bag I've ever encountered on a forum. Thank god he got banned. That moron hounded me everywhere I went. He HATED Glocks, and 10mm (despite buying a G29SF, and deciding to sell it without shooting it), yet he would continually spend time in GG and the 10 Ring to stir up trouble. What a turd he was.