Reloading for the G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the G19

TX expat
12-31-2011, 09:45
First off, let me say I'm not trying to stir up any more debates on reloads and Glocks. If that happens, I apologize.

Here's my dilemma and my reasons for asking: I'm currently giving serious thought to switching to a G19 as my primary CCW pistol. The one major concern I have is all the kB stories and mixed opinions on shooting reloads out of the unsupported chamber that the Glock utilizes. I reload because I shoot a fair amount and most of my shooting is primarily with my carry weapon; probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rounds a week, every week minimum.

I'm a conscientious reloader. I don't push max charges or take undue risks, so I'm not concerned about blowing up a firearm because I did something dumb. I load everything on a single stage press; no hands off automation. I always give each piece of brass a once over and toss it if it shows any signs of being overstressed or a loose pocket, etc... I don't, however, have the desire to have to buy new brass every other week because anything that's been used a few times might be too weak to fire out of an unsupported chamber. And with 3 other 9mm firearms to load for, doing something to keep Glock brass separated would be more effort than I care to go through.

I'd like to hear from you guys that do a fair amount of reloading for any of the 9mm Glocks. Should I have any concern or not? Do you treat your Glock reloads with any more care than you do your other firearms? Any information like that is going to help me figure out if I need to go bark up another tree or stay at this one.

tjpet
12-31-2011, 09:55
The unsupported case problem was with the early .40 cal Glocks. That was cleared up some time ago.

I don't reload any differently for my Glock 9mms. In fact, I run them with just about any type ammo I'm in the mood to use from target to +P+.

You don't need to have any concerns.

ron59
12-31-2011, 10:43
Your concerns are so far off the mark it's not funny.

As tjpet said, the "unsupported chamber" issue related ONLY to the original .40 guns. Glock has redesigned that TWICE now, to the point where it is supported the same as everybody else's barrels. It was *never* an issue with the 9mm barrels.

I've shot 40,000+ reloads through my G17 which is not even 3 years old yet. I have a G30SF (.45ACP) that I reload for now as well. I will probably have a G35 (.40) and I will reload for that. In none of those will I have any concerns. Give a cursory examination of your brass maybe and that's it.

Get a press and start reloading.

TX expat
12-31-2011, 10:54
Well that's why I'm asking here in the reloading forum because only the guys who actually reload for the 9mm are going to be able to give me an actual hands on opinion.

I'm really glad to hear this from both of you. I want to just go with the Glock and not worry about it but there are plenty of people (even some on here) who are swearing that any reloads in any Glock are a total no-no. Trying to figure out who is speaking from experience and who is just propagating hype is tough to do.

Thanks for the help, I'll feel a whole lot better about switching to the 19 knowing this!

rickrope
12-31-2011, 11:01
I couldn't even begin to guess how many 9mm reloads I've ran through my Glocks and run a somewhat stout load of Power Pistol through them. I toss the brass when I loose it. :shocked: I don't think my 26, 17 or 34 have even seen a factory load. The only factory ammo my 19 has used is the stuff I carry.

Well that's why I'm asking here in the reloading forum because only the guys who actually reload for the 9mm are going to be able to give me an actual hands on opinion.

I'm really glad to hear this from both of you. I want to just go with the Glock and not worry about it but there are plenty of people (even some on here) who are swearing that any reloads in any Glock are a total no-no. Trying to figure out who is speaking from experience and who is just propagating hype is tough to do.

Thanks for the help, I'll feel a whole lot better about switching to the 19 knowing this!

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 11:01
Trying to decide if you are serious or are a troll.

People on this forum alone have reloaded 100K +++ for their glocks.

TX expat
12-31-2011, 11:16
Trying to decide if you are serious or are a troll.

People on this forum alone have reloaded 100K +++ for their glocks.

Ummmm. I'm totally serious. I could see you thinking I was trolling if there weren't so many "I blew up my new Gen4 with a reload" stories out there (and no, they aren't all old first gen .40). I'm trying to get some experienced opinions because I know there have to be plenty of folks out there who are reloading for their 9mm and I'm just trying to see if people treat their Glock 9mm loads any differently than other reloads.

If you guys are telling me that it's all BS, then great, because that's what I want to believe. I just don't want to spend the money on the G19 and then find out that I've got to be extra careful, or only use brass two times, or buy some aftermarket barrel. There's plenty of that misinformation out there. So no, I'm not a troll. Just looking to be sure that I actually know what I think I know.

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 11:38
my g35 and 17 have never seen a "factory" cartridge.

F106 Fan
12-31-2011, 12:50
It's possible to blow up any gun with a bad reload. In fact, there are even 'factory' reloads that have been known to blow up a gun or two. Maybe even store-bought new loads...

But 9mm is probably the most reloaded cartridge on the planet. I would expect .45 ACP to be a close second (maybe the order is swapped). In both cases, brass will last until it is lost assuming the loads are reasonable. I suppose loading to +P+ might be detrimental to case life.

There is some debate about using lead bullets in Glock barrels. The factory says NO but many reloaders do it anyway. They just make sure that the cast bullets are hard enough to prevent leading the barrel. Personally, if I had a Glock 9mm, I would use FMJ or change the barrel. I DO have a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) and I DO load FMJ. I might change the barrel at some point but maybe not. I can get 230 gr FMJ for $130/1000 and 230 gr LRN for $90/1000. The difference may not be enough that I even care.

It's kind of like buying IBM - nobody ever got fired for shooting FMJ. Besides, I have received 'guidance' from the 'powers that be' to not load lead bullets if my grandson will be shooting them.

I do load 9mm for the XD9 and while I take care in the process, I don't obsess over it. I wouldn't give a moment's thought to whether or not they would be fired in a Glock.

Richard

TX expat
12-31-2011, 13:12
Thanks. I'm glad to see so many people say they aren't doing anything differently.

I'm careful by nature, but I didn't want to have something that I had to take extra steps for. That would have been more overhead than it would have been worth. Since I'm sold on the G19 for all my other criteria, I am glad to see that I can go with it and not worry about any issues.

I do shoot a lot of lead, but I wasn't planning on it for this gun. I try to work up a load that 'feels' close to the defensive load that I'll be carrying in it, so I just stick with FMJ rounds to keep that part simple.

F106 Fan
12-31-2011, 13:48
I do shoot a lot of lead, but I wasn't planning on it for this gun. I try to work up a load that 'feels' close to the defensive load that I'll be carrying in it, so I just stick with FMJ rounds to keep that part simple.

I have often thought that factory loads are kind of 'bangy' with a rather sharp impulse. It is unlikely that the factory powder is anything like what you can buy over the counter so it may not be possible to exactly duplicate the factory 'bang'.

Probably the closest you can get is to try to match power factor (bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second) and that would require a chronograph.

Personally, I load down a little bit to make practice enjoyable. I figure the adrenaline will make up the difference. My 9mm make 130,000 power factor (somewhat higher than Federal Champion) and my .45 ACP make 168,000 - just enough to be certain of qualifying for IDPA.

Richard

fredj338
12-31-2011, 13:56
Honestly, I have never heard of anyone KB a Glock 9mm. Most stories are form the 40 & the GLock's ealry unsupported chamber issues + bullet setback issues & the lack of the knowledge back then about how much that increases pressrues. Throw in the thin weak brass & there have been a lot of 40 KB stories. I have put some stupidly hot 9mm loads thru my G17 w/ zero ill affects, even a large amount of lead bullet loads. If shooting an exclusive lead diet, I would opt for an aftermarket bbl just to ease your mind. My G17 only sees lead bullets in a LW bbl as well as the G32 w/ SL 9mm bbl.

TX expat
12-31-2011, 14:04
I have often thought that factory loads are kind of 'bangy' with a rather sharp impulse. It is unlikely that the factory powder is anything like what you can buy over the counter so it may not be possible to exactly duplicate the factory 'bang'.

Probably the closest you can get is to try to match power factor (bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second) and that would require a chronograph.

Personally, I load down a little bit to make practice enjoyable. I figure the adrenaline will make up the difference. My 9mm make 130,000 power factor (somewhat higher than Federal Champion) and my .45 ACP make 168,000 - just enough to be certain of qualifying for IDPA.

Richard

Yeah, I got pretty close with my .40 but you're right, it didn't replicate it every aspect. I pretty much went by how it 'felt', which I realize is nothing but a subjective opinion. Blew through a fair amount of carry ammo doing three shot comparisons, but I got close enough that it does the job without having to shoot up a bunch of factory SD ammo. You're right though, I doubt you'd feel any difference in an actual encounter assuming your practice load isn't a bunny fart.

michael e
12-31-2011, 14:07
I have been loading with lead for my glocks with titegroup. I have never had an issue. It's all about paying attention to what you are doing.

platoonDaddy
12-31-2011, 14:10
My Glock 17, 19 and 26 run on reloads with thousands of rounds down range.

If you are a fan of hickok45, he uses reloads for his glocks.

fredj338
12-31-2011, 14:13
My Glock 17, 19 and 26 run on reloads with thousands of rounds down range.

If you are a fan of hickok45, he uses reloads for his glocks.

Geeze, doesn't everyone on this forum?:supergrin:

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 15:31
Does jack even own a glock? He doesn't normally like things less than a century old.

GioaJack
12-31-2011, 15:41
I've got one, I've got one! I'll have to chip the cobwebs off it to see what it is though. G30 sounds familiar.

I'm waiting until spring so I can buy a small remote control boat and use the Glock as an anchor.

Not a big fan of the plastic kid's guns.

Tonight will be a 2 1/2 inch Smith model 19 in a shoulder holster under the tuxedo jacket... no belt loops on the pants. (Bought it in '74... the gun, not the tux. :fred:)

Jack

PCJim
01-01-2012, 11:35
To add to what has already been said... I shoot reloads exclusively (except for .22), and probably 99% of it is lead. While a P226 is my go to, all time favorite, I do own and shoot several Glocks. For the 17 & 19s, I have a SL or LW aftermarket barrel for the lead. The 26 only sees FMJ as I don't shoot it often enough and don't want to invest in another barrel.

fredj338
01-01-2012, 13:25
To add to what has already been said... I shoot reloads exclusively (except for .22), and probably 99% of it is lead. While a P226 is my go to, all time favorite, I do own and shoot several Glocks. For the 17 & 19s, I have a SL or LW aftermarket barrel for the lead. The 26 only sees FMJ as I don't shoot it often enough and don't want to invest in another barrel.

HA! Sounds like me. I shoot te G26 just enough to stay familiar w/ it. I actually prefer it to the full size 1st Gen G17, but in general, I am not a GLock fan. Give me steel & wood any day.

XDRoX
01-01-2012, 14:07
I have three 9mm Glocks and two and never tasted a factory round. I treat all my brass the same and don't worry about what gun I'm shooting it from. I also have never "bulged" a case from any of my Glocks.

Here's a picture to get a better idea of what people are referring to when they say "unsupported."

SA XD9 on the left, G19 in the middle, and Sig P228 on the right.

According to this picture none of them are completed supported, but then again if they were they wouldn't feed. The less support the more reliable feeding. The Glock is a little less supported than the other two but not enough to be treated any differently.

Also I have never had a failure to feed in thousands of rounds through any of these barrels except once and it was actually the G19. But it was not the Glock's fault. It was a bad piece of brass. I put it in my pocket and reloaded it again. Again it failed to feed in a couple different guns.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/unsupported.jpg

dbarry
01-01-2012, 15:53
my G19 only get fed reloads (and some of them lead)... gaaaasp! yup, lead. almost exclusively bullseye powder...

TX expat
01-01-2012, 17:08
Thanks for that pic, it sure doesn't seem any less supported than the Sig anyway.

Very interesting about the lead. I can't tell you how many reloading threads I've read talk about no lead in the Glock... One more myth cleared up, I suppose.

XDRoX
01-01-2012, 18:44
Thanks for that pic, it sure doesn't seem any less supported than the Sig anyway.

Very interesting about the lead. I can't tell you how many reloading threads I've read talk about no lead in the Glock... One more myth cleared up, I suppose.

The lead issue isn't complete myth. If you shoot a load that leads pressures will increase. If not cleaned regularly then the pressures could raise to unsafe levels. If you shoot a load that doesn't lead then it's perfectly safe. A lot of guys don't want to worry about it and buy an extra barrel to be safe.

So the advice to not shoot lead in factory barrels is sound advice IMO. But avoiding reloads in glocks is not.

cardinalfan
01-02-2012, 07:42
I shoot both lead and plated reloads in my G23, same in my wife's G19. Not worried about either. I clean my guns everytime I get home from the range. No issues with leading for me in factory barrels.