I finally bought a 1911...looking for insight. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I finally bought a 1911...looking for insight.

MaximaDrvr
12-31-2011, 11:15
I decided I really don't like revolvers, so I traded my S&W 642 Airweight for this.
It is a Caspian frame on a Para GI upper.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/MaximaDrvr/DSC06110.jpg

The frame is in decent shape, with a few nicks here and there. Everything seams to function without problems.

So, on to some questions.
1. How do I break it down to clean it. I know different makes use different methods. Can someone link a youtube video for me?

2. The seller recommended Chip McCormick mags. Are there others I should look at?

3. Does anyone have a preferred vendor for new grips?

4. I've heard some people show an 'idiot mark'. What is that from?

5. I've seen skeletonized triggers on some 1911 pistols. How hard is it to change the actual trigger on the pistol?

I'm excited to shoot this next week and see how it performs. I'm sure I will like it better than the revolver.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2011, 11:38
I decided I really don't like revolvers, so I traded my S&W 642 Airweight for this.
It is a Caspian frame on a Para GI upper.

The frame is in decent shape, with a few nicks here and there. Everything seams to function without problems.

So, on to some questions.
1. How do I break it down to clean it. I know different makes use different methods. Can someone link a youtube video for me?
-You Tube would be your best option, tons of detail strip videos!

2. The seller recommended Chip McCormick mags. Are there others I should look at?
-Tripp Research, Wilson Combat, MecGar are my choices

3. Does anyone have a preferred vendor for new grips?
-VZ grips for a man made product, Esmeralda for wood

4. I've heard some people show an 'idiot mark'. What is that from?
-Slide stop slipping and scratching frame/slide

5. I've seen skeletonized triggers on some 1911 pistols. How hard is it to change the actual trigger on the pistol?
-Not extremely difficult, You Tube......

I'm excited to shoot this next week and see how it performs. I'm sure I will like it better than the revolver.

My replies in red,......a Para/Caspian would not have been my suggestion
for a first 1911, but congrats!

MaximaDrvr
12-31-2011, 11:43
Why not? What is 'wrong' or bad about it.
I know I could get a RIA for $500 new OTD, or a Springfield for $800 new, but this was a good trade and I wanted away from the revolver.

I'm open to any and all info at this point.

Bowtie
12-31-2011, 12:31
As others have stated, Youtube has a lot of info to help with your questions.

If the seller recommended CMC mags then that's more than likely what the gun likes so I'd go with that. I had one 1911 that would not function with Wilson mags. Find what works with the gun and stick with them..

knedrgr
12-31-2011, 15:21
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?286-Field-and-detail-stripping.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2011, 15:56
I know I could get a RIA for $500 new OTD, or a Springfield for $800 new, but this was a good trade and I wanted away from the revolver.

Not saying anything is WRONG with it. I'm just not a fan of Para or Caspian.
I would not recommend that build combo for a new 1911 owner.

bac1023
01-01-2012, 09:34

Para slides are cast, which isn't a good thing. I have no problem with cast frames, but cast slides are another story.

I do own two Paras that have ran perfectly. However, they are below average from a quality standpoint.

Either way, congrats. I hope it serves you well.

Giggity
01-01-2012, 09:55
Considering the used market value of a 642 I'd say you did quite alright.

Although, personally I wouldnt spend a lot on "upgrades" on it. I'd slap some plain jane grips on it and shoot to poop out of it. Then if you decide you really like the platform, buy a new one of higher quality that is worth the expense and effort of "making it your own".

Rally Vincent
01-01-2012, 12:24
Don't like anything Para. But you can't go wrong with Caspian.