Help; Searched but can't find this one [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help; Searched but can't find this one

wingwlkr
12-31-2011, 12:56
I just purchased a new Colt Defender with 100 Years of Service roll marks in .45.

Now that I have it I've been reading in other forums how poorly many SD JHP's perform from the short barrel .45. I want to order ammo, but don't know which to choose.

I did a search here looking for ammo recommendations on the short barrel .45 but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

I feel almost certain this topic has already been discussed here on this board, so will someone please direct me to that thread/thread's, either here or somewhere else.

Thanks,
Ed

ADK_40GLKr
12-31-2011, 13:46
I just purchased a new Colt Defender with 100 Years of Service roll marks in .45.

Now that I have it I've been reading in other forums how poorly many SD JHP's perform from the short barrel .45. I want to order ammo, but don't know which to choose.

I did a search here looking for ammo recommendations on the short barrel .45 but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

I feel almost certain this topic has already been discussed here on this board, so will someone please direct me to that thread/thread's, either here or somewhere else.

Thanks,
Ed

You might want to ask Mas Ayoob over in GATE Self Defense Forum.

I've seen him field that type of question frequently.

PghJim
12-31-2011, 19:29
There are different approaches. Some say to go to a lighter bullet, say 185gr +p. The barrel on my Kahr P45 is 3.5" and I use HST 230gr +p. Others will tell you to scrap the +p and go with a standard pressure 230. It may not open much, but heck it is a .45. I really think 3" is pushing it for a 45. A thought may be Corbon's 165 or 185gr loads. I tried copper +p bullets out of my Kahr and they did not open well in water jugs, Ranger T 230gr did not open either, or not by much. I have not tried Speer "Short Barrel" loads and you may want to look into that.

wingwlkr
12-31-2011, 19:43
I thought about querying Mas on this one, but didn't want to jump on the "ask the celebrity" band wagon. I'm sure he's a very busy guy and has been very gracious in taking time from his busy schedule to answer questions that could have been easily answered on other boards by the knowledgeable denizens of glocktalk.

I figured this is the sort of question that has been discussed at length here on this board, but I wasn't able to find the thread. As a newby to this particular board I didn't want to start a new discussion, just find links to info, already discussed, about short barrel .45 ammo from guys who give this sort of subject a considerable amount of thought.

PghJim
12-31-2011, 19:50
It has been discussed, but Mas will not mind if you ask him which 45 round would he think to be the best out of a 3" barrel.

Here is a thread I had on it.: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372774&highlight=short+barrel

barth
12-31-2011, 19:51
I thought about querying Mas on this one, but didn't want to jump on the "ask the celebrity" band wagon. I'm sure he's a very busy guy and has been very gracious in taking time from his busy schedule to answer questions that could have been easily answered on other boards by the knowledgeable denizens of glocktalk.

I figured this is the sort of question that has been discussed at length here on this board, but I wasn't able to find the thread. As a newby to this particular board I didn't want to start a new discussion, just find links to info, already discussed, about short barrel .45 ammo from guys who give this sort of subject a considerable amount of thought.

Talk to Mas.
I felt the same way when I realized who was answering that forum.
Don't worry about that.
I would recommend doing a search of his forum using the automated search function,
to make sure he hasn't already answered the question.

If not, be short and to the point.
He'll answer you and usually within 24 hrs.

The people here are very educational, but Mas is icing on the cake.
He really seems like a nice regular guy - really.

BTW Speer makes a Short Barrel round that I would go for if I were you...
The Short Barrel line has specially designed HPs that expand at low velocities.
Paired with fast burn, low flash, powder that gets good velocity from a short barrel.
http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23975

I use their SB 38 +P 135 gr in my 1-7/8" snubbie.
Look at the FBI protocol test results for a 38 from a 2" barrel and see what I mean -
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm

Merkavaboy
12-31-2011, 19:55
There are many good bullet designs out there including Gold Dots, HST, Golden Saber etc. any good HP load should work fine. But the major concern is finding a HP load that will reliably function 100% in your pistol. A minimum of 200 rounds of your chosen carry/SD load should be cycled thru your pistol with zero malfunctions before you rely on that round. 1911 models are known to be picky regarding feeding wide mouth HPs. The 230gr Hydra-Shoks have a very good reputation both for feeding and actual street results.

wingwlkr
01-01-2012, 14:16
Sorry, I made a double post.

wingwlkr
01-01-2012, 14:23
Took almost an hour but in going back through Mas's board history I finally found the answer to my question. Was an enjoyable search because I got sidetracked along the way reading his interesting posts. He really is a helpful guy.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370940

Just as you guys here on Caliber Corner told me, Mas likes the 230 grain Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, Federal HST, and the Winchester Ranger T, because all three of those are "designed with a wide velocity window to assure expansion even at lower velocities."

Thanks again for you help,

Ed