.40 hornady critical defense or pdx1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 hornady critical defense or pdx1

PhatAlbert
12-31-2011, 14:05
I have limited my options to these. I have heard good things about pdx1 but like the concept of critical defense. I have a .380 and tested some Corbon jhp into jugs and all three time I shot it went through all 6 jugs and the denim. I assume that was because it did not expand so I tested hornady in the Sam regards and each bullet functioned great. I also tested it into homemade gelatin with denim and liked the results. But .40 is new to me and I do not want it clogging. Any input appreciated.

Posted from an iPhone

Brad55102
12-31-2011, 16:24
I wouldn't pick either
I would choose
Speer Gold dots
or
Federal HST's
buy them online in 50rd boxes

DRT
12-31-2011, 16:33
Neither. I'd choose one of the following

180gr Federal HST
or
165gr Winchester Ranger T-series

packinaglock
12-31-2011, 17:58
I agree with Brad & DRT

Merkavaboy
12-31-2011, 19:18
If your ONLY choices are Hornady's FTX or Winchester's PDX1, I'd go with the PDX since it is based on the street proven SXT bullet design.

PghJim
12-31-2011, 19:33
There have been expansion issues with the PDX1 165 gr load and I do not think the CD expands much at all. Yea they expand, but look at the diameters. Those are probably the last two picks I would make. All of the bullets mentioned are good.

PhatAlbert
12-31-2011, 21:09
What's a good place to look online for the "law enforcement" type loads such as ranger t or hst?

Posted from an iPhone

Andy W
12-31-2011, 22:48
What's a good place to look online for the "law enforcement" type loads such as ranger t or hst?

Posted from an iPhone

Ammunition to Go frequently has these loads. Failing that, check Kyle's Gun Shop. You were looking for .40 S&W right? Here you are:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/40-sw-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php?seller=KylesGunshop&navt1=51732

Hour13
12-31-2011, 23:17
Well, the thing is, your talking about two rounds that, while both being HPs, are designed for two different purposes.

The Hornaday CDs are designed for maximum expansion, and to reduce the chances of over-penetration. They are not intended for barrier penetration. These are a great HD round, particularly for those who live in apartments or duplexes. Also, the rubber booger in the cavity prevents the HP from being plugged with fabric, to ensure good expansion in the target.

The PDX(and Win's similar lines) was meant to be a do-it-all pretty well round. The bonded jacket is thicker near the cavity opening, helps to retain the bullet's shape when hitting glass, drywall, etc. Designed to provide the benefits of a JHP, while still offering barrier penetration ability. Primarily designed for LE/Agency type use, it simply put, gives a decent balance between the ballistic performance of a JHP, and the barrier penetration of a FMJ.

My HD G22 is loaded with the Hornadays. My carry is 180gr Ranger Bonded JHPs.

Ak.Hiker
01-01-2012, 00:08
Good info on both loads. I have tested the 180 grain PDX 1 and they are good at barrier penetration for a hollow point. As stated the Critical Defense is designed for personal defense. Hornady also loads the Critical Duty designed for barrier penetration as well as there XTP line also know for deep penetration. Lots of choices.

dkf
01-01-2012, 00:11
Not really a fan of the CD because of its somewhat poor performance against barriers.(and 20rd box only) So between the two I would choose the PDX1. (Would buy Ranger Bonded due to 50rd box availability) The HST or GD in 165gr or 180gr are also good choices.

Andy W
01-01-2012, 01:35
Another thing, if you really want the PDX1, you would probably be better off buying the Ranger Bonded. It's the same round but comes in a box of 50 rather than the stupid 20 round boxes with prices approaching, or even exceeding $1 per round. You'll save yourself some money if you go with the Ranger Bonded.

jaklcrow
01-01-2012, 01:45
I agree with going with Gold dots or Fed. HST. I just ordered 2 boxes of 9mm HST here today,

http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-40HST

hotpig
01-01-2012, 02:06
I sell all of the above ammo except CorBon and Hornady because demand was so low it was not worth buying stock.

I prefer the Ranger Bonded in most of my guns.

Quarter Tank
01-01-2012, 07:35
if you had to choose between the 2 it would be PDX1 in 180gr

I would rather have

GD 180gr
HST 180gr
Ranger T 180gr

Yankee2718
01-08-2012, 23:51
I've tested the 165 pdx1. It works very well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NG VI
01-09-2012, 10:05
I'm with Quarter Tank and everyone else who would rather have more proven, better performing, and less expensive loads.

Critical Defense has the plug to prevent an issue which hasn't really been an issue in any of the other current bullets around today. It doesn't expand much. It doesn't penetrate much.

It's like an XTP without the penetration, and with added cost. No thanks.

cowboy1964
01-09-2012, 10:35
I have never been impressed with CD testing I've seen. And you never hear about actual LE street feedback because it's just not used. Pass.

Between those two I'd go PDX1. But my order of preference is Gold Dot, HST, Ranger.

Glolt20-91
01-09-2012, 15:53
Ranger T
Gold Dot
Ranger bonded

SGAMMO.com

PhatAlbert
01-09-2012, 17:23
So what you guys are saying is you want law enforcement ammo for home defense? I don't think we shoot through auto glass? Or steel? Just wondering?

Posted from an iPhone

dkf
01-09-2012, 18:28
There is glass and steel in your house. If someones outside my window pointing a gun inside at me I would prefer that it has been proven to work in such a situation. I don't buy separate ammo for home defense and carry, there is no point IMO. A round that is friendly against walls will be friendly against humans or animals as well. "Law Enforcement ammo" is usually a proven design that works and which you can find some testing and information on.

NG VI
01-09-2012, 20:22
Why would you want to use anything but the best available loads, especially since they come packaged in normal-sized, non-patronizing boxes that cost only slightly more than the 20/25 round boxes of "civilian" loads?

What does "law enforcement" pistol ammunition do, what goal is it designed to meet, that doesn't make it equally well-suited for use in any defensive shooting, regardless of the occupation of the person pulling the trigger?

PhatAlbert
01-09-2012, 22:31
So the glass in your house is automotive glass? I have two kids in my home and even with hd ammo penetrating 13 inch I think would get any vital organ in the body. I believe the standards for testing le ammo was because of not enough penetration in the shoot out? I just don't see why hd people need the same standards as le I don't get it

Posted from an iPhone

NG VI
01-09-2012, 22:59
I think you're missing the point, LE-intended ammunition is loaded to exactly the standard that you would want from your defensive bullets. The bullets like the Ranger-T and HST tend to penetrate between 12 and 14 inches, and expand better than older-tech bullets.

There are plenty of acceptable choices out there, but if you're counting on a service caliber pistol bullet to not go through a wall into your kids' room, you need to revise your plan of action.

And better performance against auto glass or through heavy clothing doesn't mean the bullet has any more penetrating ability than another bullet in the same caliber, it just means it is more reliable and will behave more consistently after passing through one of those barriers. A non-duty load doesn't penetrate any less, it is just less likely to do what the designer and shooter wants it to after passing through some glass or whatever.

You want your JHP to expand the way it was designed to so, and you want your bullet to operate in a fairly predictable way. Expansion isn't just to cause more tissue disruption, it's also to regulate penetration.

dkf
01-09-2012, 23:53
So the glass in your house is automotive glass? I have two kids in my home and even with hd ammo penetrating 13 inch I think would get any vital organ in the body. I believe the standards for testing le ammo was because of not enough penetration in the shoot out? I just don't see why hd people need the same standards as le I don't get it

Posted from an iPhone

For the most part glass is glass whether for house windows or car windows. Where it is different is in thickness, temper and etc. Windshields have plastic in between the panes of glass to prevent shattering but the others usually do not. Anyway it is barrier.

Basically between the two rounds you have a thoroughly professionally tested, proven design at a very good price (the PDX1/Ranger Bonded) vs a round that is basically the opposite(Hornady CD). A no brainer to me.

Either round is lethal and will go through walls and such but the LE round has proven its salt. The goal is to stop the threat.

cadillacguns
01-10-2012, 03:29
Win PDX-1/Speer GDHP, very close, almost same/same in my book. Both bonded JHP.
I would carry either, and I do. Federal HST is next IMHO. I have a box of Hornaday Critical defense, just don't use it.

greentriple
01-10-2012, 19:48
For personal defense, non-law enforcement work, if you find yourself shooting through barriers, in particular from inside you home to the outside, you are likely to find yourself on the loosing end of a manslaughter charge.

As an attorney who represents many, many people in lawful and unlawful shootings I often giggle to myself when reading recommendations for personal defense "loads" and self-defense recommendations.

Good luck.

PhatAlbert
01-10-2012, 22:49
For personal defense, non-law enforcement work, if you find yourself shooting through barriers, in particular from inside you home to the outside, you are likely to find yourself on the loosing end of a manslaughter charge.

As an attorney who represents many, many people in lawful and unlawful shootings I often giggle to myself when reading recommendations for personal defense "loads" and self-defense recommendations.

Good luck.

That's what i was getting at if your shooting through glass metal etc more than likely it's not home defense it's on a street. So it wouldn't matter why it went through as long is it can defer a person close range. I can understand for carry guys (I live in il) Pdx might be good for you because you basically have same environment as police.

Posted from an iPhone

NG VI
01-10-2012, 23:20
I guess my question is, what does a 'police' JHP do that you DON"T want your own JHP to do?

Today's crop of bullets that are loaded and advertised to police departments penetrate about the same as any other JHP, they actually tend to have less variation, because of the FBI protocols that most agencies and manufacturers have heavily embraced, so your Cor-Bon or Glaser or other limited penetration non-duty loads might only go through 8-10" of soft tissue or simulant, your XTPs, Remington Classic, or WWB may go through 14-20" of tissue or simulant.

If you pick a bullet that isn't recommended for duty use, you are picking a bullet that is less tested (or equally tested but with poor results), less consistent in its behavior, and is likely to be less reliable. The reason so many groups and people have settled on using the FBI protocol to rate the performance of their carry ammunition is because shooting a human being in a fight for your lives is an inherently unstable and unpredictable event. What a bullet that does well in the FBI protocol gives you is an assurance that it will penetrate deep enough to have some physiological effect on your opponent given any reasonably well placed shot, as well as showing you whether the bullet is likely to be erratic against a clothed target. Because of the widespread use of those protocols, most of today's bullets are not very sensitive to clothing.

There's not much available out there that's a pure 'civilian' defense bullet anyway, for example the Speer Gold Dot is exactly the same in it's cute little 20/25 round personal defense packaging and it's less expensive 50 round packaging for 'law enforcement'. Federal's HST was originally designed as the company's next personal defense offering, and then the company switched gears and made it a (company policy) restricted LE offering instead. Remington doesn't even have a separate pack for it's Golden Sabers, although some of them are available in 50 round boxes. Winchester's PDX1, as far as I can tell is just their newest iteration of the Ranger Bonded.

All of Federal's "personal defense" advertised bullets happen to be their old-school, less reliable law enforcement bullets in little packaging, sometimes downloaded while they're at it.

What I'm trying to say is that those bullets are the best for home defense because they are the product of at least 25 years of ongoing testing and refinements in bullet design, and the advantages they give are primarily in reliability. Today's HST, Ranger-T, and Gold Dot are far less sensitive to clothing than older-tech bullets are, they are much more likely to expand properly and fully in a person, which means they more consistently either stay in the body of your attacker or leave it without enough force left to seriously injure another person, they are not dependent on fragile bullets and high velocities to do it, which means they are less likely to not penetrate deep enough to be effective, and they also seem to feed in about any working gun you can stuff them into.

Every single thing a person would want from their defense bullet is offered by the name-brand duty loads, while many loads that don't quite meet that description are sold as defense bullets without the level of testing or merits of the Winchester/ATK/Remington bullets.

NG VI
01-10-2012, 23:24
And again, just because a bullet is designed to be more consistent after passing through glass or metal doesn't mean it is only good for shooting through glass or metal, or that it is more consistent because it punches through them more forcefully or easier than an equivalent offering in the same caliber. Barrier performance from service pistol bullets is all about the design of the bullet, ones that don't do well generally either shed their jackets in glass exhibit shallow, weird penetration without much expansion, or they get their cavity swaged shut as they pass through sheet metal and act exactly like an FMJ.

I don't understand why you would go out of your way to look for a bullet with ****ty barrier performance and ignore how it stacks up in every other type of shooting test.

joeglock40
01-11-2012, 02:56
I'm with NG VI , I carry 165 pdxs in my35 and wife has180s in her 23 and the 38 plus p in a lcr. I carry hst at work in 9 mm but we had gold dots when we had 40s.. if a leo trusts their life with the ammo so many other depts do than I'd go with that over something that has very lil real world results like the CD. Ask Mas on Gate if u wana respectable opinion.

greentriple
01-12-2012, 22:26
Again, there is no comparison with police and civilian needs. Police are involved in ferreting out crime, which often leads to them shooting "bad guys" through barriers, although they rarely do that (liability issues - oops I did not realize the perps kid was behind the wall in his arms). Civilians cannot engage in ferreting out crime and, trust me, if you start capping off rounds through non-transparent barriers and kill someone, even the guy who started the deadly firefight, you are off to the pokey. If your assailant "retreats" behind a barrier and you keep shooting, well you may now have terminated you SD prerogative. I'm not saying you should not pick a round BC it penetrates barriers, I'm saying if hats why your picking it you are perhaps doing the wrong analysis.

NkySpike
01-13-2012, 01:44
Sorry, posted in wrong area. Will not let me, delete this post.

NG VI
01-13-2012, 10:08
It seems like you don't really understand why police-oriented bullets work better after passing through barriers. They are no more likely to punch through a barrier than any other bullet of the same caliber, any bullet that you would rely on for defense will go through walls, will go through sheet metal, will go through glass, and be easily capable of killing someone on the other side, no matter who the bullet was originally designed for.

The difference between "police" and "self defense" bullets is really just a weird set of corporate policies and advertising decisions. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the bullets themselves. In fact, the Gold Dot and PDX bullets are exactly the same when sold to private consumers in twenty round boxes for "personal defense" or in bulk to government agencies. There is literally NO difference between them, and the Gold Dot is probably the gold standard of both the defense and duty ammunition worlds, because of it's long track record and good performance.

I haven't seen you or PhatAlbert name a single bullet that you think is a viable "non-cop" load, or explain why it is a better choice for 'civilian' defense other than to make extremely vague statements about how unreasonable it would be for you to go shooting through walls at people. It says to me that neither of you have a clear understanding of how bullets work or why someone might want a bullet that is going to perform basically the same no matter what it has to go through.

You don't even seem to realize that 'police' and 'civilian' bullets are basically identical, the only real difference being that a couple of manufacturers don't openly advertise and sell their newest bullet design to private consumers.

dkf
01-13-2012, 11:10
Again, there is no comparison with police and civilian needs. Police are involved in ferreting out crime, which often leads to them shooting "bad guys" through barriers, although they rarely do that (liability issues - oops I did not realize the perps kid was behind the wall in his arms). Civilians cannot engage in ferreting out crime and, trust me, if you start capping off rounds through non-transparent barriers and kill someone, even the guy who started the deadly firefight, you are off to the pokey. If your assailant "retreats" behind a barrier and you keep shooting, well you may now have terminated you SD prerogative. I'm not saying you should not pick a round BC it penetrates barriers, I'm saying if hats why your picking it you are perhaps doing the wrong analysis.

Good luck. Thats the problem with lawyers. They think/act like they know everything when in fact they actually know nothing about the subject at hand.

You are making broad statements considering laws vary from state to state. A lawyer should know that.

greentriple
01-13-2012, 13:12
The police round is designed to hold its shape/expand consistently and uniform ally and still provide an acceptable level of lethal penetration.

Yes the nits are different across the country when defining SD and often that nit is picked by the temperament of the prosecutor or judge. However, what I was alluding to was tort liability for the killing ad Wil as potential criminal sanctions.

I'm not advocating one round or another, but rather trying to add information about potential liability. I'm confident all rounds from .22 to .45 and type from FMJ to JHP to all led are potentially fatal when striking a person. One does not need the most powerful, hardest hitting, etc..., round to defend oneself.

But hey, it's what I love about America, everyone's an expert, and the Internet is their soapbox. But, most important, we can make up our own mind.

dkf
01-13-2012, 13:45
The police round is designed to hold its shape/expand consistently and uniform ally and still provide an acceptable level of lethal penetration.

That is exactly what the Hornady FTX bullet was designed to do as well as any other self defense bullet I know of. Whether marked LE on the box or not.:wavey:

pisc1024
01-13-2012, 15:38
I'm just going to put this out there in ref. to the Hornady Critical defense.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm

PhatAlbert
01-13-2012, 19:50
Ok so found out sgammo will ship to my location (was finding probs from other sights shipping to il) Now choice between 180 grain fed hst 50 for 20 bucks... Or the gold dot 180 grain 50 rounds for 30 bucks??

Posted from an iPhone

hotpig
01-13-2012, 20:04
Most of us have no problem shipping outside of Chicago.

PhatAlbert
01-13-2012, 20:12
Well the websites say different.. My local shops don't carry anything but Corbon and out of cd ammo... Then big shops 40 miles from me only carry the Pdx and some other crap..

Posted from an iPhone

hotpig
01-13-2012, 20:18
There is no market in Illinois other than LE for Ranger and Federal Tactical products. I average less the 1000.00 per year in regular consumer sales of this ammo in Il. The rest are LE Agency or officer purchases. The other states are my customer base.

PhatAlbert
01-13-2012, 20:22
Yea makes sense... Like I said I was hoping for hornady cd but that impossible around here and Pdx is available but sounds like gold dot or hst is better and preferred better so that's what I will try.

Posted from an iPhone

hotpig
01-13-2012, 20:32
Not any real choices down here either. I do not think there is much in Springfield or St Louis. They are about equal distance from me.

PhatAlbert
01-13-2012, 20:35
Not any real choices down here either. I do not think there is much in Springfield or St Louis. They are about equal distance from me.

I sent you a message about where I live but yea I know what your saying

Posted from an iPhone

NG VI
01-13-2012, 21:48
Go HST, to me it's the better bullet and if it costs 50% less, there's no question at all which is the better choice. Also, I've never had a malfunction in any gun with HST in 9mm, .40, or .45, but I've had a (very) few with loads using Gold Dot bullets before.

If you can afford to it would be worth it to spend a couple hundred bucks on it now, in the off chance your pistols don't care for it you will not lose money on the unopened boxes, and that way you won't have to worry about tracking down more defense ammunition for a very long time.

I think that with the HST and Ranger-T that jacketed lead service-type pistol ammunition has become essentially a mature technology, the next time we see a meaningful upgrade in defensive handgun technology it's going to be something truly different than the type of cartridges and chamberings we rely on today.

PhatAlbert
01-13-2012, 23:02
Ok my decision was hst this time

Posted from an iPhone

G21MAN
01-14-2012, 10:48
The 180 grain HST has a great street record in Columbus and San Diego. I researched the ATK website and averaged all of their data from the various tests that they have done on the Gold dot and HST.

The HST wins with more expansion.

bare gel: 11.5 inches/.90 inch/100% weight retention.
Heavy clothing: 13.7/.75/100.
4layer denim by TNOUTDOORS on youtube: 16.0/.72/100.

The HST also expands after going through plywood or wallboard which is great for HD.

Go to http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf for some excellent data.

Also, the .40 round was designed for 180 grains out of a 4 inch tube at 980 fps, and the 180 grain HST runs at 1010 fps and 408 ft lbs of energy. Hits 'em hard and the cops love 'em.

The HST is not a bonded bullet, and it sheds it's jacket sometimes after going through auto glass. This is bullet failure, but I chose the HST because I don't shoot through autoglass and I love the expansion through what I would shoot through(clothing).

Hope this helps.

PhatAlbert
01-14-2012, 13:20
The 180 grain HST has a great street record in Columbus and San Diego. I researched the ATK website and averaged all of their data from the various tests that they have done on the Gold dot and HST.

The HST wins with more expansion.

bare gel: 11.5 inches/.90 inch/100% weight retention.
Heavy clothing: 13.7/.75/100.
4layer denim by TNOUTDOORS on youtube: 16.0/.72/100.

The HST also expands after going through plywood or wallboard which is great for HD.

Go to http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf for some excellent data.

Also, the .40 round was designed for 180 grains out of a 4 inch tube at 980 fps, and the 180 grain HST runs at 1010 fps and 408 ft lbs of energy. Hits 'em hard and the cops love 'em.

The HST is not a bonded bullet, and it sheds it's jacket sometimes after going through auto glass. This is bullet failure, but I chose the HST because I don't shoot through autoglass and I love the expansion through what I would shoot through(clothing).

Hope this helps.

awsome information thanks for sharing... yea i was reading a test they did with Butte police department and seen the following with their tests...

Bullet Caliber/Weight Penetration Expansion (in.) RetainedWeight
Federal HST 40 S&W 180 gr. 14.25 0.623 92.78%
Winchester SXT 40 S&W 180 gr. 10.25 0.563 **73.56%**
Speer GDHP 40 S&W 180 gr. 12.25 0.622 85.17%
**Core Jacket Separation **
Core jacket separation is common when firing
through auto glass, however both the Federal HST
and Speer GDHP round did not shed its jacket and
out-penetrated, out-expanded, and retained more
weight than the SXT load. With further penetration
and larger expansions the HST and Gold Dot are
creating a larger permanent wound cavity than the
SXT.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Butte_WBW_5_27_09.pdf

zman537
01-21-2012, 03:48
Neither. I'd choose one of the following

180gr Federal HST
or
165gr Winchester Ranger T-series

I dont mean to hijack a thread. But so many people recommend these two types of ammo and I was wondering why they do. are these types of ammo less likely to have over penetration or is there some other reason? I know there is jacket separation with some types of ammo. But im looking for a round that is less likely to have over penetration and go through someone into the next room in my house.

barth
01-21-2012, 04:09
Generally, for 40, I stick with LE 155/165.
Winchester Ranger Ts
Speer GDHP
Federal HST
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/s/c/scgunguy/Pics/RA40TA.jpg

If none of the above are available?
And Hornady CD or Winchestter PDX1 are my only options?
I'm still going with Winchester PDX1 165.
It's looks like the civilian version of their Ranger LE line.

Winchester PDX1/125 is what I run in my S&W 640-1 357 Magnum revolver.
http://www.huntingsuppliesoutfitter.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/wincpics357mpdb.jpg

NG VI
01-21-2012, 15:01
To the guy with the last post on page 2, I like them because they are the two widest-expanding bullets available, and work best in their heavy for caliber versions. That means that their penetration is more consistent than a lighter weight bullet, they are designed to work at much lower velocities than lighter bullets, so they are an excellent choice in your home defense Glock 34/35 or carry 26/27, barrel length isn't really a performance modifier for them, and they tend to be extremely reliable at expanding, even after clothing.

Also, the HST is very much an affordable option, it's not like the DPX where the cheapest you're likely to see it is $20 or more for a box of 20 or 25 rounds.

pisc1024
01-22-2012, 01:59

I'm not an attorney, but in my opinion nothing could be further from the truth. I could think of any number of scenarios where you could be well within your right to continue to use deadly force with some one behind a barrier.
There is nothing wrong with having the best equipment, even if you are not the police.

AWESOMO 4000
01-22-2012, 08:03
CorBon 140 DPX a solid choice too. Does exceptionally well against hard barriers. Even their 135gr JHP is a great load. It's basically a .40 .357SIG (135gr @ 1325fps). Some will say it sucks because it frags...which it might when shooting into a bucket of water, but it still seems to get the job done.

NEOH212
01-22-2012, 18:29
My choice would be either:

Speer Gold Dot

Ranger T series

Federal HST

All in the 165 grain loading and not necessarily in that order. They are all great defensive loads.

ArmedMikeQ
01-23-2012, 19:14
This guy does great tests ammo. I filtered for .380 cal ammo

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/search?query=380