Glock 30 sf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 sf

Ken43
12-31-2011, 18:53
Hi Mas:
Hope you have a happy new year.
I have a G36 and for some reason I would like another .45 cal Glock. I was thinking of the G30sf. What is your opinion of the 30sf and is there enough difference between the 36 and the 30sf to make it worth having both?

Mas Ayoob
12-31-2011, 20:01
The G30 is my favorite Glock, and I really like the SF version. I acquired mine because my "carry" G30 had its grip trimmed by Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm, www.tarnhelm.com, and was thus no longer stock and could not be used in the Major Sub (now Heavy Metal) category at GSSF matches. I've been very happy with the G30SF.

I have a G36, one of the first ones that came out. Mine has been trouble-free. However, I've seen a bit less reliability with them in generaly than with the G30. For my particular needs the 36 is not so much smaller than the 30-series that I'm willing to sacrifice four rounds of -in-gun capacity, OR the ability to reload with a 13-round Glock 21 magazine. Also, I've found the G36 to have adequate accuracy, but the G30 to have AMAZING accuracy, and since that's important to me, it's another reason I'm partial to the 30-series. Therefore, Glock 30 is a gun I carry regularly (for most of December, in fact, until this morning when I switched to a Glock 31 for a while) and my 36 dwells in the safe.

Is it worth having both? It never hurts. If you search Glock Talk for G36/G30 hybrids, you'll find that each frame will take the other's top end. Some have reliability problems with that, some don't. Some CCW folk like the thinner G36 slide atop the eleven-shot G30 frame, and some who shot Major Sub competition in GSSF matches where round count was limited to the G36's seven cartridges anyway, appreciated the ability to get more hand around the gun and the trigger finger deeper onto the trigger with the smaller G36 frame, while still maintaining the relatively short/stiff/heavy G30 top end for maximum accuracy.

Understanding that different shooters have different needs,
Mas