Post xmas CM9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Post xmas CM9

bklynpete
01-01-2012, 11:29
My girlfriend and her family gave me some Sportsman's Warehouse gift cards, so I bought a Kahr CM9 for $429.00. I also bought a 20rd box of Speer Gold dot 147gr jhp's. I have some 124 +p, short barrel Speer ammo, so we will see which shoots better in it. They didn't have any spare mags, so I called around and scored 2-6rd mags for $27.00 each on sale at my range. Even better then the $32 from Midway, which was out of stock anyway.
Boy is it tight. I did the cursory take down, clean and lube, but what a pia to put it back together. The recoil spring was extremely difficult to put back in correctly. It took me awhile, but it"s ok now. I'm hopeing after firing it, it will loosen up. I will hit the range tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

dp509
01-01-2012, 12:06
I have the CW9 and love it.

It is my off duty gun.

Shoot it 200 times to get used to it and to break it in.

You will love it.

bklynpete
01-02-2012, 18:42
Took it to the range today. I had 2 failure to lock back after the last round using Federal American Eagle 124gr fmj. After 50 rds, no problems.

I tested Speer Gold Dot 124 +p and 147gr jhp's. The 124gr +p's shot to point of aim, so that's what I will go with. I shot 150 rds today, and like I said, no failures after the first 50rds. It fits in the pocket holster that I had for my BG380 and I ordered a OWB Hume, JIT belt slide holster. It's backordered, so hopefully, it will come in soon.

All in all, I am happy with it.

Bruce M
01-02-2012, 19:10
Hoping you continue to enjoy your CM9.

bklynpete
01-02-2012, 19:22
Thanks Bruce!!

arrtvandelay
01-02-2012, 19:35
My girlfriend and her family gave me some Sportsman's Warehouse gift cards, so I bought a Kahr CM9 for $429.00. I also bought a 20rd box of Speer Gold dot 147gr jhp's. I have some 124 +p, short barrel Speer ammo, so we will see which shoots better in it. They didn't have any spare mags, so I called around and scored 2-6rd mags for $27.00 each on sale at my range. Even better then the $32 from Midway, which was out of stock anyway.
Boy is it tight. I did the cursory take down, clean and lube, but what a pia to put it back together. The recoil spring was extremely difficult to put back in correctly. It took me awhile, but it"s ok now. I'm hopeing after firing it, it will loosen up. I will hit the range tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

i also just bought a cm9. i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but i did break it down and clean/lube it. it took me about 30mins to get the takedown pin out, and another 30 mins to get the recoil assembly back together. hopefully it will get better after break-in.

i'm taking it to the range this weekend for 50-100 rds so that should help. i also have a new walther pps to break in as well so maybe the 200rd break in on the kahr will happen as my ammo supply allows. and what a difference in takedown ease. the walther is just like a glock, no takedown pin, captured recoil spring. i can't wait to try these 2 out...

Supertuck
01-02-2012, 19:47
Please keep us updated. I think I have finally narrowed the single-9 choice down to the CM9 or the PM9. Still trying to decide and save a little extra $$.

HKLovingIT
01-02-2012, 19:57
Sounds good. After 200-500 rounds it will settle in nice and loosen up a touch. Enjoy.

BrewerGeorge
01-02-2012, 20:46
I wouldn't even try to judge ammo reliability until you put 200 down range.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-02-2012, 21:08
Welcome to the club. Take down and reassembly is easy after you know how to do it. Align the witness marks, then align further based on least resistance to the pin and it slides in and out easy. Never had an issue compressing the recoil spring.

craig19
01-02-2012, 21:11
Nice, congrats!

Seven High
01-02-2012, 21:15
Check the Kahr website. They were offering a free magazine for the CM9 if you register the firearm with them before a certain date.

KarlThomas
01-03-2012, 08:46
Congrats! Don't worry about those failures to lock back. Kahr advertises these guns as having a break in period, so hopefully that problem will disappear completely (I think it will).

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

bklynpete
01-03-2012, 12:49
Congrats! Don't worry about those failures to lock back. Kahr advertises these guns as having a break in period, so hopefully that problem will disappear completely (I think it will).

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

LOL, I was waiting for someone to ask for a pic, here it is.

bklynpete
01-03-2012, 12:58
i also just bought a cm9. i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but i did break it down and clean/lube it. it took me about 30mins to get the takedown pin out, and another 30 mins to get the recoil assembly back together. hopefully it will get better after break-in.

i'm taking it to the range this weekend for 50-100 rds so that should help. i also have a new walther pps to break in as well so maybe the 200rd break in on the kahr will happen as my ammo supply allows. and what a difference in takedown ease. the walther is just like a glock, no takedown pin, captured recoil spring. i can't wait to try these 2 out...

Yes, after you put some rounds through it, take down and reassembly is much easier. You really have to make sure all pressure is off the takedown pin, before it can be removed. The recoil spring will also loosen up with use.
I really don't see any reason to buy the PM9 any longer. The extra $200 or so for prettier markings on the slide, extra mag, just isn't worth it in my opinion. The gun functions and shoots well without the extra's.

Supertuck
01-03-2012, 18:08
LOL, I was waiting for someone to ask for a pic, here it is.

One great looking gun. Congratulations......and yes.....I'm a little bit jealous. :embarassed:

bac1023
01-03-2012, 21:18
Congrats! :cool:

Chonny
01-04-2012, 07:10
Whats the difference between the CM9 and the PM9.

BrewerGeorge
01-04-2012, 08:59
Whats the difference between the CM9 and the PM9.
$200 :supergrin:

http://photos.gunsamerica.com/d/4259-1/cm-chart.jpg

SeventyGTX
01-04-2012, 09:26
I know what you mean about TIGHT. I recently picked up a new PM9 and did the obligatory racking of the slide about 500-600 times before I even fired it. At first, I was only good for about 30 racks and my hand has dead. It did start to loosen up to where I could go about 60 or 70 times without taking a break.

The first time I took it out to fire it, I got about 70 rounds through it before the 30 degree temps took its toll on my hands and I called it a day. The gun fired fine with the exception of the 7 round mag. If loaded with 7, it would not feed properly and jam up. With 6, it was fine. Not sure what is causing that. The 6 round mag was flawless.

boomhower
01-04-2012, 10:56
A CM9 is going to be my next buy. I have been hunting for a pistol to pull double duty as a duty BUG and a pocket pistol on my off days. This little guy seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Nicko
01-04-2012, 10:58
Nice. Congrats

BrewerGeorge
01-04-2012, 12:10
.... The gun fired fine with the exception of the 7 round mag. If loaded with 7, it would not feed properly and jam up. With 6, it was fine. Not sure what is causing that. The 6 round mag was flawless.
The 7-rounder is my problem mag as well. No problems with two 6's, but that extended 7 just doesn't work well.

bklynpete
01-04-2012, 12:48
I guess I lucked out by getting additional two six round mags instead of a 7rd one. Dumb luck, there were no 7rd mags around where I live.
By the way, I noticed I didn't get a fired casing with the new gun, did anyone else have this issue?

bklynpete
01-04-2012, 18:02
OK, just got back from the range and ran another 150 rounds through it; SWEET. I ordered a Hume jit slide for it, and can't get the vendor to reply. They don't even answer the phone, just a recording (Not a good sign). Gunnersalley.com is the name of the company. Anyone else have any dealings with them? I just emailed them also. If I don't hear back from them by the end of the week, I'll notify my credit card to not honor the sale and send a cancellation to the company. I think I'll look at the com-tac site for an IWB holster just in case. I really figured since it was so small and slim, a OWB holster would work. Oh well.

SeventyGTX
01-04-2012, 19:34
I guess I lucked out by getting additional two six round mags instead of a 7rd one. Dumb luck, there were no 7rd mags around where I live.
By the way, I noticed I didn't get a fired casing with the new gun, did anyone else have this issue?

No fired casing in my PM9 either.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-04-2012, 19:34
I know what you mean about TIGHT. I recently picked up a new PM9 and did the obligatory racking of the slide about 500-600 times before I even fired it. At first, I was only good for about 30 racks and my hand has dead. It did start to loosen up to where I could go about 60 or 70 times without taking a break.

The first time I took it out to fire it, I got about 70 rounds through it before the 30 degree temps took its toll on my hands and I called it a day. The gun fired fine with the exception of the 7 round mag. If loaded with 7, it would not feed properly and jam up. With 6, it was fine. Not sure what is causing that. The 6 round mag was flawless.

Nosedive under the feedramp? That is a known weakness, with at least two different approaches to fix it.

JBarbaresi
01-04-2012, 21:43
nice pick up. i've carried mine about 90% of the time since i bought it. have about 1500 rounds through it at this point without a single problem.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0026.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0560.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0564.jpg

SeventyGTX
01-04-2012, 22:02
Nosedive under the feedramp? That is a known weakness, with at least two different approaches to fix it.

Exactly, whats the remedy(s)?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-04-2012, 22:56

Approach 1: The mag spring is too strong, causing friction where upper round drags next lower round forward a bit, until one of the lower rounds can't clear the bottom of the feedramp as the round tries to rise. Some suspect the 7 round mag has too much tension and is more likely than the 6 round to cause the jam. When the mag gets broken in it may work better. Some snip a bit of the mag spring off.

Approach 2: Basic design flaw. Test to see if you can wiggle a round forward enough from an inserted mag to get it stuck under the feedramp (use a dummy round), if you can then your Kahr can jam too. Even if it hasn't happened yet, change in humidity or other increase in friction between rounds can potentially cause it at any time. Solution is to grind back the feedramp so it doesn't overhang the mag.

One would think the factory could tweak the design so there is no gap and no overhang between the mag and the bottom of the feedramp. Maybe models that exhibit this gap, allowing you to make a round get stuck, are out of spec for all I know.

I chose to grind my PM9 feedramp back, and repolished it, to solve the problem. I can no longer get rounds stuck under there even if l try. Nosedive jams are a bear to clear and l want no part of them : )

Glock40man
01-05-2012, 00:18
Congrats!

BrewerGeorge
01-05-2012, 08:25
Many of the magazines also benefit from a gentle squeeze at the top with a pair of (protected) channel locks. Holds the top round sturdier so it doesn't slide forward as easily, and it also helps with drop-free.

The method is to load the magazine (as a sizing guide) and give a very gentle squeeze along the sides at the top.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-05-2012, 11:10
I have bought several Hume holsters from Gunnersalley and would buy from them again, good in stock selection and back orders filled quickly.

bklynpete
01-05-2012, 16:23
I have bought several Hume holsters from Gunnersalley and would buy from them again, good in stock selection and back orders filled quickly.

They finally sent me an email last night, told me a 10 week wait for the holster. I cancelled the order. I actually found an old De Santis Speed Scabbord that I had (Don't even remember what pistol I bought it for), it fits but a bit too long. I brought it to my shoe repair guy, he's going to cut it down for me. This is what I was looking for, a high ride owb holster.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-05-2012, 17:45
Many of the magazines also benefit from a gentle squeeze at the top with a pair of (protected) channel locks. Holds the top round sturdier so it doesn't slide forward as easily, and it also helps with drop-free.

The method is to load the magazine (as a sizing guide) and give a very gentle squeeze along the sides at the top.

Cool, hadn't heard of that. Might also help prevent rounds slipping out of the spare mag pocket carried.

BrewerGeorge
01-05-2012, 23:47
Cool, hadn't heard of that. Might also help prevent rounds slipping out of the spare mag pocket carried.

Yeah, it works pretty well, but I'm talking GENTLE squeeze. Check the kahrtalk forum for more detailed info.

Chonny
01-06-2012, 01:27
So the 6 round mag has no feed issues?

I always prefer standard grips on small pistols like this.

BrewerGeorge
01-06-2012, 06:43
So the 6 round mag has no feed issues?

I always prefer standard grips on small pistols like this.
Not for me. The squeeze still helped it drop free much better.

arrtvandelay
01-06-2012, 20:04
shot 75 rds through my new cm9 tonight with no issues whatsoever, which considering my luck is very good. i traded for a used pm9 a few wks ago, which ended up being a dud, so i was a little apprehensive about a new kahr. at least with a new one i'd have a warranty. well this little pistol was a great shooter, and hopefully i'll complete the breakin next wk, so i can begin carrying it.

it still is a royal PITA to field strip though, but it was def easier to put back together after cleaning it. that takedown lever just does not want to come out...

JBarbaresi
01-06-2012, 21:30
shot 75 rds through my new cm9 tonight with no issues whatsoever, which considering my luck is very good. i traded for a used pm9 a few wks ago, which ended up being a dud, so i was a little apprehensive about a new kahr. at least with a new one i'd have a warranty. well this little pistol was a great shooter, and hopefully i'll complete the breakin next wk, so i can begin carrying it.

it still is a royal PITA to field strip though, but it was def easier to put back together after cleaning it. that takedown lever just does not want to come out...

it will loosen up a bit after you shoot some more rounds and field strip it more often. make sure you oil the peg part of the take down lever before you put it back together.

tpr7304
01-08-2012, 10:25
Great choice. I love my CM9 which has been flawless after 1000 rounds.

Skates94
01-08-2012, 19:57
Been a long time since I posted on GlockTalk...... Picked up a PM9 this week as my off duty gun. Hope to run some ammo through it Tuesday. Ordered a iwb holster from Tagua Gunleather and the decal grips from Kahr. Prior to this I would carry a G23 or G27.

I must say I have high expectations for this little guy....... It's gotta be better then the LCP I gladly dumped.

Congrats on your new Kahr as well

RYT 2BER
01-08-2012, 20:04
These threads leave me speechless.. its a conversation about jams, mag malfunctions and trading off a "dud" gun, followed by a slew of "Congrats" and "what a great gun".. :upeyes:

I have some desert scrub brush to sell... I must be in the right place...

BrewerGeorge
01-08-2012, 20:30
These threads leave me speechless.. its a conversation about jams, mag malfunctions and trading off a "dud" gun, followed by a slew of "Congrats" and "what a great gun".. :upeyes:

Does seem to be a lot of love 'em or hate 'em going on.

JBarbaresi
01-08-2012, 21:34

kind of like a whole lot of the glock threads being posted over the last few years, eh?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-08-2012, 23:53

Well if you shoot enough and have enough guns, you are bound to see stuff happen, no?

Even my Gock 17 had 1 jam. My Beretta 92 has never had any. My Kahr had a few until I fixed the problem. My Dan Wesson .44mag revolver had a few jams until I fixed the problem. My S&W 642 .38 has never had any. My Ruger LCP had a few until l fixed the problem, and might still not like Gold Dots. And so on.

Every model gun made has had jams or other problems.

I still think the Kahr PM9 and CW9 are great guns, but the owner should be aware of possible issues and fixes:)

got2hav1
01-09-2012, 07:46
Congrats on your new CM9. I just bought a CW9 and went thru the fluff and buff, along with 200 manual cycles of the slide. Greased it up good and have put about 300 flawless rounds thru it. And as others have said the take down and re assembly will become much easier with more use. These are really nice guns when you get a good one. Their P380s not so much, I would not buy another P380. The nines usually get good reviews by most everyone. :cool:

RYT 2BER
01-09-2012, 10:31
kind of like a whole lot of the glock threads being posted over the last few years, eh?

I guess but Ill take a glock over a kahr every day of the week and 2x on Sunday :supergrin:

JBarbaresi
01-09-2012, 21:40
I guess but Ill take a glock over a kahr every day of the week and 2x on Sunday :supergrin:

i like both enough to trust my life with either. although i wouldn't take a cm9 with me into combat, when the g19 is not deep enough concealment for certain applications the cm9 does the trick quite nicely.

bklynpete
01-11-2012, 12:24
I do love my CM9, yes it does have a break-in period because it's made to very tight tolerences, but I can deal with that. It's running without any mishaps now, just like my G-36, and my Gen4 G19. I had worse problems with both of those Glocks. I now carry mostly my SA XD45C and keep a SA XDM45 for a nightstand weapon, neither had a problem at all when I first took it to the range. Do I feel that they are any better then a Glock, maybe in some respects. Now my CM9 will be used when I need a smaller lightweight weapon because I am wearing a tailored suit or sport jacket. I own many different brands of weapons, but have an allegiance to none of them. I buy what best suits my needs for the specific purpose. I'm not a kool aid drinker, and I won't put down people for their choices.

bklynpete
03-16-2012, 13:53
Just an update: I got a Thommy Theiss IWB holster for my CM9 and I really like it. I normally get M-Tacs, but was looking for something maybe a little less expensive. I bought a Galco Super Tuck for one of my guns and threw it out, but someone here recommended the Tommy Theiss holster and I'm glad i tried it out. It worked out really well for my new CM9 :cool:.

L Pete
03-16-2012, 14:56
I love mine......I didn't do the "kill you hands" bit racking the slide a couple of million times.
I just shot it a couple of hundred, and started shooting Gold dot +Ps, for a little while. It works great. No problems. It carries like it's nothing. There's nothing but love with this gun. It has become my EDC.

bklynpete
03-18-2012, 13:37
Yep, and it's very accurate and soft shooting for such a small pkg. Thanks all.

Paul7
03-18-2012, 14:59
Approach 1: The mag spring is too strong, causing friction where upper round drags next lower round forward a bit, until one of the lower rounds can't clear the bottom of the feedramp as the round tties to rise. Some suspect the 7 round mag has too much tension and is more likely than the 6 round to cause the jam. When the mag gets broken in it may work better. Some snip a bit of the mag spring off.

Approach 2: Basic design flaw. Test to see if you can wiggle a round forward enough from an inserted mag to get it stuck under the feedramp (use a dummy round), if you can then your Kahr can jam too. Even if it hasn't happened yet, change in humidity or other increase in friction between rounds can potentially cause it at any time. Solution is to grind back the feedramp so it doesn't overhang the mag.

One would think the factory could tweak the design so there is no gap and no overhang between the mag and the bottom of the feedramp. Maybe models that exhibit this gap, allowing you to make a round get stuck, are out of spec for all I know.

I chose to grind my PM9 feedramp back, and repolished it, to solve the problem. I can no longer get rounds stuck under there even if l try. Nosedive jams are a bear to clear and l want no part of them : )

From my experience, I vote for Approach 2.

Paul7
03-18-2012, 15:01

Funny, ain't it? I'll give the Kahr points for looks, but I want something more reliable in a CCW.