Magnum vs. small pistol primers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magnum vs. small pistol primers?

Glockfelty
01-01-2012, 14:00
I am getting back into reloading with a G23 3gen. I have Unquie and W231 left over and have about 800 Fed. Magnum small pistol primers. Has anyone used these in place of regular small primers?

ColoCG
01-01-2012, 14:38
Yes, you can use the magnum primers in place of standard primers as long as you are not using max loads.
The magnum primers generate more pressure than standard, so if your using max loads you should drop your powder charge down to starting loads or low midrange and work up slowly.
With the 2 powders you mention you shouldn't have a problem.
Anytime you change componants, It's always best to start off low and work your load up again slowy, looking for pressure signs.

Good Luck.

dbarry
01-01-2012, 15:56
yeah, I used them in place of reg spp back when you couldn't find primers... what cCG said - drop you starting charge down... I wouldn't use them w/ Blue Dot powder with the pressure spikes that some have reported (though I've not had any problems w/ BD in 44 or 357 mag loads -with regular primers that is).

F106 Fan
01-01-2012, 16:11
The .40 S&W is a high pressure round and it would seem to me that changing components would be a bad idea.

It is really worth the risk just to save $35 on a thousand primers?

I just don't see the upside in using a hot primer and I can see a whole lot of downside.

Richard

shotgunred
01-01-2012, 18:13
The .40 S&W is a high pressure round and it would seem to me that changing components would be a bad idea.

It is really worth the risk just to save $35 on a thousand primers?

I just don't see the upside in using a hot primer and I can see a whole lot of downside.

Richard

Unless you are going to shoot high pressure rounds it does not make a lick of difference. There is no downside. A lot of people including me have used thousands of magnum primers in place of regular primers. I have a several year supply of them left and haven't used anything else in the last several years in my glocks.

cole
01-02-2012, 14:30
I've run SPP, SPPM, SRP and SRPM interchangeably in mid-level 9mm loads. Has never mattered, though the rifle primers can offer more of a light show, especially in shorter barrels. However, my striker-fired Glocks have had issues popping the harder rifle primers (~10% failure) so I'll often run those in my hammer-fired CZ.

Rinspeed
01-04-2012, 21:42
duplicate post.

Rinspeed
01-04-2012, 21:45
A lot of people including me have used thousands of magnum primers in place of regular primers.

I have as well and if I remember right there is maybe 15-25 fps difference.