Do your own reloads make smily brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do your own reloads make smily brass?

Wash-ar15
01-01-2012, 14:34
It been my opinion for a while that factory SD .40 is loaded extremely hot. every time i shoot some, I get guppy brass. Never have this problem with my reloads, even when they are loaded to the max load.

Would you agree with me that factory 40 is overly hot?

Do you get guppy brass with your reloads?

D. Manley
01-01-2012, 15:01
It been my opinion for a while that factory SD .40 is loaded extremely hot. every time i shoot some, I get guppy brass. Never have this problem with my reloads, even when they are loaded to the max load.

It's gonna' depend on what they're shot in. I don't get "guppied" brass from my reloads or, factory either for that matter. My .40 gun is a G-35, Generation 3 which has pretty good support at the 6 o'clock position but some earlier versions (and, some other brands) are not as well supported. I've picked up thousands of pieces of .40 range brass and almost never see any severely bulged brass. If I did, I'd toss 'em...too much good brass to fret over whether it's dependable or not.

FLSlim
01-01-2012, 15:37
Like DManley, I haven't had any brass issues with factory or reloads (always midrange loads) with my G23 (gen 3). In the .40 I usually drop the sized round in a gage and about 2-3% need a push to fully seat. They don't have an obvious bulge and they fit the barrel, but I put those through a Redding GRx--just because.

WiskyT
01-01-2012, 19:22

The only guppied brass in 40 I have ever seen was in my buddy's SW99. It did it with two different brands of facotry ball, but not my reloads which were listed as max in the loading manual.

GioaJack
01-01-2012, 19:56
I've never even shot a .40... I feel so old. :fred:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-01-2012, 20:20
I require proof of these Guppies.

WiskyT
01-01-2012, 20:24

All I've got is my honor as a gentleman. Jack will attest to that.

XDRoX
01-01-2012, 21:10

A bunch of my brass starting coming out like this. The Lee Bulge Buster takes it right out though.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/smilbrass.png

shotgunred
01-01-2012, 21:39
On my face sometimes but never my brass.