Gen 4 G21 reduced power loads vs. recoil spring [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G21 reduced power loads vs. recoil spring

akroguy
01-01-2012, 13:55
I have a favorite load that is 5.6 gr of HP38 behind a 200 grn lead flat nose bullet from Missouri Bullet. My XD tactical loves it but it won't reliably cycle my Gen 4 21...just not enough oomph to cycle it with stock recoil spring. Does anyone have a spring setup for reduced power loads in the Gen 4 21? I can get a Gen 3 spring adapter ring for the gun, but then what pound spring to install? I'm using a Wolf barrel.

The load is really nice and easy to shoot and I'd like to be able to feed it to both guns!

Thanks.

F106 Fan
01-01-2012, 14:02
Wolff makes 'calibration paks' that have various spring rates. You could start with the heaviest and work down.

One problem: if the recoil spring gets too light, there is an interaction with the striker spring when you pull the trigger. The slide will come out of battery.

Richard

D. Manley
01-01-2012, 14:08
Yes. You can get an adapter to run conventional Gen. 1, 2, or 3 recoil springs. As for spring weight, they are inexpensive enough to experiment a bit. You might want to start with the OEM 17 Lb spring weight but FWIW, I run 15 Lb springs in all my range Glocks including, 9MM, .40 and .45. The 15 Lb springs run anything from factory velocity to very soft loads reliably in my guns and I just like the feel of the gun better.

akroguy
01-01-2012, 14:17
The loads are sooo close to working, and some do, so I think the next step down will work fine, and that would be a 15 pound spring? I have loads with the same powder charge, but behind a 230 gr lrn, so they generate enough chamber pressure to cycle the stock spring assembly just fine. It looks like the 15 pounder would optimize the gun for both loads nicely.

D. Manley
01-01-2012, 14:53
The loads are sooo close to working, and some do, so I think the next step down will work fine, and that would be a 15 pound spring? I have loads with the same powder charge, but behind a 230 gr lrn, so they generate enough chamber pressure to cycle the stock spring assembly just fine. It looks like the 15 pounder would optimize the gun for both loads nicely.

I have no experience with the G4 spring setup but from what I hear, they require a little more pressure than the G1, 2 or 3 OEM arrangements to run. You may well be able to run a 17 Lb spring (stock weight) if you wish but in my experience, there's no down side to a 15 Lb. I personally use the uncaptured rods so spring swaps are quick and easy but captured or uncaptured, it's no big deal. I do run stock spring weights in my defensive guns but there, I'm using pretty high pressure stuff.

WiskyT
01-01-2012, 18:49
I don't know what the Gen4 setup looks like, but with the old system, you can use IMSI springs on the factory platic rod.

If you take a straight piece of wire coat hanger and run it up the rod from the rear through the hollow rod, you can push off the little platic cap that captures the factory spring. It snaps right back on. I've heard of people just leaving it off without problems. The IMSI springs are made of the same shape flat wire and fit the stock rod.

The Wolff round wire springs might work on the stock rod, but they don't look right on there.

shotgunred
01-01-2012, 20:36
On my Idpa gun (G35 gen 3) I run 15 pound springs. I have dropped as low as 13 but settled on 15 as the best for my gun.

akroguy
01-01-2012, 23:58
Ok, got a 15 lb spring/stainless rod and spring adapter ordered. Thanks for the help, gentlemen!

WiskyT
01-02-2012, 07:26
Ok, got a 15 lb spring/stainless rod and spring adapter ordered. Thanks for the help, gentlemen!

That should do it.

Messenger
01-02-2012, 11:38
I have been running a 13lb un-captured spring shooting target loads in 3rd gen 21sf. I can't remember ever having a malfunction.