New Lyman Mold [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman Mold

norton
01-01-2012, 16:29
I cast about 200 .452 RNFP bullets today. It was very windy here in God's country. That helps to blow the casting fumes out of my unheated garage.
Anyway this was my first go with the Lyman mold. Seeing that it cost approx. 5x what I paid for my Lee mold of the same bullet, I was hoping to see improvement.
I did.
My bullets out of the Lyman almost all measured out at .452. With my Lee mold, they cast anywhere from .452 to as high as .456. I ran a few of the Lyman bullets through my Lee sizing die, then realized I don't need to bother.
The one obvious change is the weight of the mold and handles. The steel Lyman is much heavier, which caused my forearm to ripple in a most delightful way.

As the New Year begins, I want to thank all of you who helped me during my newb casting year of 2011. I still have things to learn, but the trip has been great.

And of course what made today's casting session even better-listening to the Colts lose today, so they are now in line for the #1 2012 draft pick. Hello Andrew Luck.

Colorado4Wheel
01-01-2012, 16:51
I had a great casting day as well. Cast up a bunch of bullets. Worked on some of my molds to make them drop a little better. I got a bunch of good bullets for my effort.

paintballwannab
01-01-2012, 17:04
Mold temp has alot to do with size and quality, I noticed when I first started my lee mold gave me all kinds of problems till I started pre heating it.

Never tried a Lyman, might have to pick one up and try it out.

EL_NinO619
01-01-2012, 20:37
I like my Lyman also, just need to bump it up a thou of a inch... Ya man I got the 4 Cav and when I first start out my arm gets tired, but as the sess goes on I get used to it..

fredj338
01-02-2012, 10:24
Mold temp, alloy temp, alloy type all play a rol in the final size of the bullet. Consider tha most molds are designed to cast a bullet slightly larger than stated using Lyman #2 or sim harder alloy. Softer alloy = smaller bullet, harder alloy = larger bullet, higher casting temp = smaller bullet. Happy casting!

norton
01-02-2012, 11:54
Mold temp, alloy temp, alloy type all play a rol in the final size of the bullet. Consider tha most molds are designed to cast a bullet slightly larger than stated using Lyman #2 or sim harder alloy. Softer alloy = smaller bullet, harder alloy = larger bullet, higher casting temp = smaller bullet. Happy casting!

Hi Fred
All of my alloy is mixed. Its from recycled- mostly jacketed- pistol bullets dug out of the berm. No wheel weights, linotype or anything else. Not that I wouldn't love to use them, I just don't have any.
Blocks on my Lee molds do not fight as tightly as the Lyman blocks.
Well, its about 25 degress and snowing in the land of Lincoln's boyhood. Out to the unheated garage to do some more casting. Its good to be off work today.

Colorado4Wheel
01-02-2012, 12:41
I may start buying some Tin and Antimony Mix to make casting easier. I have some Linotype that I have reluctantly started using just to get my range scrap to cast better. I am a cheap guy but I am sick of fighting my range lead to cast larger bullets more consistently. The link below is a mix
An excellent casting pewter that contains approx 92% Tin, 7.75% Antimony and .25% Copper.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/alloy_ac_pewter.htm

I don't know if the small amount of copper is a issue.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 14:19
Rotometals guys are great, their prices are fair but not cheap. The free shipping helps.
Range scrap can be anything Norton. Mine comes in around 10BHN. So adding lino @ 4-1 lead/lino rate makes a nice pistol alloy for most anything. Cast straight range scrap for 45acp & midrange anything else. Every once & awhile I come across lino for sale @ $1/# & will buy 50#. I use to for "sweetening" alloys. I never get too worked up over exact formulas. If it's soft enough to cast, it's good enough to shoot. Proper bullet size is always more important than BHN of the alloy IME.