How exacting are you when it comes to COL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How exacting are you when it comes to COL?

robinsok
01-01-2012, 22:57
So I found a load a while back that showed some promise out of my tikka in 6.5x55. I went down tonight and put together some more rounds to try out, and as I was checking the overall length of each cartridge, they seemed to vary from 2.916 to 2.925. 2.92 being my Target length. Would you guys consider this to be standard deviation in length? I'm not sure if it is just the way I seat the round in when measuring, or if my seating die varies that much?

steve4102
01-02-2012, 08:04
From your numbers I am going to guess you are measuring off the tip of the bullet. Measuring off the tip of the bullet can produce large variations in COAL, especially with soft lead tipped bullets. You will get much more accurate readings if you measure COAL off the Ogive of the bullet with some type of comparator.

Three-Five-Seven
01-02-2012, 09:05
From your numbers I am going to guess you are measuring off the tip of the bullet. Measuring off the tip of the bullet can produce large variations in COAL, especially with soft lead tipped bullets. You will get much more accurate readings if you measure COAL off the Ogive of the bullet with some type of comparator.

What he ^^^^ said.