tell me about gas checks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tell me about gas checks

interlake869
01-01-2012, 22:23
yep- gas checks on lead bullets- specifically .44mag- tell me about them, when do i need them? just ordered some 305grn wfn gas check bullets and it got me thinking about thoes funny little copper things on the back.... do you guys use them and if so when? lead seems like the natural direction for loading .44mag and all your imput will be appriciated

interlake869
01-01-2012, 22:30
oh and what hardness (bhn) is recomended for shooting out of the ole 44mag? ruger redhawk if that makes any difference

Hoser
01-02-2012, 06:27
I cast all my 41 mag and 454 ammo with Linotype and gas checks.

At the velocities and pressures I run them at for silhouette shooting, the gas checks keep the leading down to a dull roar.

Those are the only two calibers I use lead in.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 09:17
BHN is not as important as bullet fit. A hard undersized bullet will lead, a softer oversize bullet will usually not, regardless of vel within reason. My 44mags & heavy 45colts see nothing but lead bullets. Some are gc design but the gc is really needed IMO, until the bullet gets really soft or the pressures get really high, as in most rifle rounds.
I can shoot shoot plain base lead in my 45-70 @ 1600fps w/ no leading. The bullets are usually cast w/ clip ww alloy & they leave little leading. The gc will make up for an ill fitting lead bullet, probably why they are as popular as they are, but cast them your self, match the bore size + 0.001" & make sure the cyl throats are at least the same size, leading should be at a min for any sane 44mag rev load w/o a gc.

atakawow
01-02-2012, 09:44
Depends on how fast you wish to push the bullet. The general rule of thumb is GC anything faster than 1600 fps. Some swear they can get as high as 2000+ fps without, some puts GC on anything they shoot. I see a noticeable improvement with GC boolits shooting the 30-30 with 16 gr of 2400.

Now, just because a bullet is a GC design does not necessarily mean it will need a GC. Some say you might experience a slight loss of accuracy.

Copper GC can be quite costly. Heck, at $35 - 40 per k, they become the most costly component for me. Another alternative is aluminum GC. You can find them for about half the price of copper. Some don't like aluminum checks. I, myself, use them exclusively. Try it out first before you put in a large order.

WiskyT
01-02-2012, 09:55
They aren't needed if you use the appropriate speed powder for the velocity you want. If you run full bore magnum pistol loads with a medium or fast powder, you will get leading without a check. If you use a slow powder like 2400, you won't. I'm talking about pistol since I haven't shot cast in rifles.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 13:25
They aren't needed if you use the appropriate speed powder for the velocity you want. If you run full bore magnum pistol loads with a medium or fast powder, you will get leading without a check. If you use a slow powder like 2400, you won't. I'm talking about pistol since I haven't shot cast in rifles.

I think that is matching the alloy to pressure thing. I can run Unique pretty hard in magnums & it does fine, but you are right, slower/lower pressure powders usualy offer less issues, especially w/ bullets softer than lino. The gc thing is reallyover done, but some great bullet designs have them unfortunately. This bullet doesn't need a gc, but it's really a good shooter out to 100yds in my RBHB.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg

WiskyT
01-02-2012, 16:14
I think that is matching the alloy to pressure thing. I can run Unique pretty hard in magnums & it does fine, but you are right, slower/lower pressure powders usualy offer less issues, especially w/ bullets softer than lino. The gc thing is reallyover done, but some great bullet designs have them unfortunately. This bullet doesn't need a gc, but it's really a good shooter out to 100yds in my RBHB.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg

Yeah, soft lead exacerbates things. With hard enough lead, the limits are high enough that faster powders can be used for higher pressures.

Zombie Steve
01-02-2012, 22:38
Haven't used a gas check yet in .357 or .44 mag. I have found that water dropping my 240 swc's for the .44 mag seems to help. Likely a sizing issue, but I can't slug the bore as it's a 5 groove barrel. :okie:

I might open up my sizing die a thousandth and see if it helps.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 23:17
Haven't used a gas check yet in .357 or .44 mag. I have found that water dropping my 240 swc's for the .44 mag seems to help. Likely a sizing issue, but I can't slug the bore as it's a 5 groove barrel. :okie:

I might open up my sizing die a thousandth and see if it helps.
Then just go bigger. Even 0.0005" makes a diff in gas cutting. If your cyl throats are small, open them up to 0.431" if using a 0.431" bullet.