More thoughts on Unique ( Sorry Jack!!) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More thoughts on Unique ( Sorry Jack!!)

davesretired1
01-01-2012, 22:23
Tried my second round of using Unique for 230 gr. 45. This time I dropped the test loads from 6.2 and 6.5 to 5.6 and 5.8. Verified as best I could on two scales. When chrono'd, they had the following ES's.....5.6=104fps, and the 5.8 was 137. This from a G30 ( and as per previous suggestions I did move the chrono back to 10ft ). As a test, Cor-Bon 200 gr. JHP was 1060 fps, and Hornady Critical was 940 fps.

I had also loaded up 20 rds. with 6.2 of WSF. Chrono avg for 10 rds was 810fps, and an ES of 30. Just ordered 8#'s of WSF. Unique might be a great powder for many people, just not for me.

Dave

Zombie Steve
01-01-2012, 23:35
Prolly like the small primer .45 brass too, don't you heathen? :tongueout::supergrin:

What bullet were you shooting? Fmj?

davesretired1
01-01-2012, 23:42
Yep. 230 gr FMJ.

Zombie Steve
01-01-2012, 23:52
I've always had great luck at 6.2 grains of Unique and a 230 fmj, 1.260" OAL. It doesn't surprise me that the extreme spread of your shots got bigger as you lowered the charge.

Not to take anything away from WSF... great powder.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 09:21
Unique just doesn't work for low pressure loads, it leaves unburned powder & you get wild vel swings. Run it above midrange, it settles down nicely & accuracy is quite good in any caliber, especially w/ lead bullets.

davesretired1
01-02-2012, 09:55
Thanks for the responses. Main reason I dropped down was due to the fact that the 6.2-6.4 loads of Unique were in a league with the Cor-Bon rounds, at least in the way they felt. Not something that I'd want to shoot a few hundred rounds of in a days practice. WSF is a lot nicer shooting powder ( for me at least ), and at just over 800fps is what I was aiming for. I still have some room before I hit the maximum loading for WSF, so I may try to up it a little. Ideal for me would be around 850fps. As they stand now, both my wife and I enjoy shooting the current loading and it's very accurate.

WiskyT
01-02-2012, 10:01
10 feet is still too close for some chronos. Is it only a 10 foot range? I had the same "problem" with Unique when I first got it. Other ES's were fine, but the Unique was 100 or more. I was inside and figured if he chrono was reading without an error indication, it was reading properly.

I clocked the same loads outside in proper light and the ES's fell in line. I then played around with the chrono a bit. I got good readings at 20 feet. I then shot the same load at 15 and they were still good. At ten feet I got some lowball numbers in the string. At 5 feet the 900fps rounds were all reading in the 600's.

Different powders and guns and bullet weights will give different amounts of blast that can effect the chrono.

tjpet
01-02-2012, 10:02
You're miles ahead going to WSF. Good for you. Great way to start the new year.

cole
01-02-2012, 13:41
I've tried many types of powder over the years. Unique is a good powder for me. I currently run Unique in 9mm plated and BE in .45acp LRN and LSWC. Both may not be as "good" as others (e.g. as clean), but they offer a better value... and value is what I often go for in plinking loads. Guns get dirty, then guns get clean, whereas the extra money spent is gone for good. I use Unique and BE because they are cheapest, load data is abundant, they meter well in my SDBs, they are versatile and they plain work very well. I reload mainly to save money. IMO, safety as a given, some dudes way overhink things.

MoneyMaker
01-02-2012, 13:45
6.0 grn Unique and 230 fmj MG or Remington bullet never failed me COL 1.255

davesretired1
01-02-2012, 16:49
I've tried many types of powder over the years. Unique is a good powder for me. I currently run Unique in 9mm plated and BE in .45acp LRN and LSWC. Both may not be as "good" as others (e.g. as clean), but they offer a better value... and value is what I often go for in plinking loads. Guns get dirty, then guns get clean, whereas the extra money spent is gone for good. I use Unique and BE because they are cheapest, load data is abundant, they meter well in my SDBs, they are versatile and they plain work very well. I reload mainly to save money. IMO, safety as a given, some dudes way overhink things.

Where I am, I get Unique and WSF for close to the same price. In fact, through my club, it's cheaper than in any LGS. I tend to value consistancy in my loads over saving a buck or two ( literally ). The difference between 6.2 of WSF versus 6.0 of Unique poundwise ( 7000gr per pound ) is 37 rounds. Personally, not enough for me to be concerned about especially when I consider the wide range of fps readings I'm getting from Unique. No disrespect is intended towards those who like Unique. It just doesn't work for me. Thanks for the comments.

GioaJack
01-02-2012, 17:20
Those who can't get Unique to meet their expectations have a very viable options... I believe they're called, AIRSOFT GUNS. :whistling:

These pills are great! :banana::banana::banana:

Jack

cole
01-02-2012, 19:30
Where I am, I get Unique and WSF for close to the same price. In fact, through my club, it's cheaper than in any LGS. I tend to value consistancy in my loads over saving a buck or two ( literally ). The difference between 6.2 of WSF versus 6.0 of Unique poundwise ( 7000gr per pound ) is 37 rounds. Personally, not enough for me to be concerned about especially when I consider the wide range of fps readings I'm getting from Unique. No disrespect is intended towards those who like Unique. It just doesn't work for me. Thanks for the comments.

No-brainer there as I would likewise buy WSF over Unique if the price was the same for me. It's not, so I don't. Special circumstances, applications, deals, etc. are not the norm by definition (by being "special"). Online it's (typically) $20/8# difference and I buy 32# at a time. $80 is $80, especially given Unique works fine for me. Same deal with BE.

arclight610
01-03-2012, 20:44
I use Unique pretty much exclusively for 45 ACP and 38. I think I load 5.8gr under a 230 SWC for .45.

SPIN2010
01-03-2012, 21:07
My fave is 6.0 grains of Unique and a 230gr Berrys TCJ RN, 1.260" OAL, works like a charm in my 1911 or G21 weapon being both smooth and accurate.

I am going to break with tradition though in my next session of .45 ACP by using AA#5 for about one hundred rounds of work up. :dunno: Might like it.

D. Manley
01-04-2012, 12:20
I love Unique for my bedded plants...roses seem to thrive on it.

:supergrin:

GioaJack
01-04-2012, 12:25

CITIZENS BEWARE... yet another horticulturist flatlander with a gun. :supergrin:

Jack

fredj338
01-04-2012, 12:25

Try TG, my fav lawn fertilizer.:wavey:

GioaJack
01-04-2012, 12:28

Good God, another flower freak... I'm gonna go take more morphine. :faint:

Jack

unclebob
01-04-2012, 12:39

Fred just curious did you blow up a gun with TiteGroup? There has to be a reason you dislike it so much.

fredj338
01-04-2012, 14:15
Fred just curious did you blow up a gun with TiteGroup? There has to be a reason you dislike it so much.
NOPE! I tried a #, found it lacking for what I like a powder to do. It's fine for the exp reloader, but I get a bit tired of gunshop minions & others recommending it to noob reloaders. It is NOT nood reloader friendly. I have read fo far too many guns going KB running TG. Sloppy reloading practices are probably the cause, but be that as it may, there are more reports of KBs using TG than all others I have seen. So I'll continue to try to change minds & influence the ininitiated. The exp reloader can even get by reloading WTF & survive.:supergrin:
Besides, the concept of manuf a powder tha occpies so little space & has a steep/fast pressure curve defies logic. IMO, the faster the pwoder the bulkier it should be, much like TrailBoss. The slower the powder, the more volume you need for higher vel & making it less volumetric makes sense. I tend to shy away from things that make little sense. Why I have so few Liberal friends.

Zombie Steve
01-04-2012, 14:21
Fred, if all the newbies blew their fingers off by using TG and sloppy technique, component costs might come down and a guy might be able to find wheel weights every once in a while.

ALL HAIL TITEGROUP!!!

PCJim
01-04-2012, 18:59
good god, another flower freak... I'm gonna go take more morphine. :faint:

Jack

poppy lover!

snowwdog
01-04-2012, 20:07
i never see any of you guys mention universal clays for 45. why is that? ive had great success with it and it burns clean. I use it with berrys 200 grain flat point and swc and it just shoots like a dream. Maybe i should try something new after i empty this 8 pounder.

F106 Fan
01-04-2012, 22:14
i never see any of you guys mention universal clays for 45. why is that? ive had great success with it and it burns clean. I use it with berrys 200 grain flat point and swc and it just shoots like a dream. Maybe i should try something new after i empty this 8 pounder.

I use 700-X for .45 ACP. I don't think it is clean but it sure shoots nice. It is only somewhat faster than Universal Clays.

It was convenient to just use the same powder I used for 12 ga shotgun back in the day.

Richard

fredj338
01-04-2012, 23:43
I tried a # of Univeral, works fine, like Unique, but I don't get the accuracy w/ lead bullets that I get using other powders. A good choice though.
F106, if 700X meters like 800X, it would be one I would shy away from for any pistol use. 800X has to be hand weighed to get acceptable accuracy in charge wts IME.

JTSmith
01-09-2012, 14:09
I've only used Unique and Power Pistol at this point in my reloading career, but I have already given up on Unique. Meters like absolute crap. I don't see myself ever buying it again.

F106 Fan
01-09-2012, 14:36
F106, if 700X meters like 800X, it would be one I would shy away from for any pistol use. 800X has to be hand weighed to get acceptable accuracy in charge wts IME.

I haven't used 800-X so I wouldn't know. I do know that I can consistently throw 4.8 gr and I verify it every time I start a session. It is a flake powder but it seems to meter pretty well. Four consecutive drops -> 19.2 gr every time.

I have been using 700-X for .45 ACP since the early '80s. It made even more sense when I shot a lot of 12 gauge because I would buy it in kegs. Locally, all I can get is the 14 oz bottle. Next time I will just bite the bullet and buy an 8# keg and pay the hazmat fee. It's still cheaper.

Richard

Pathfinder20
01-09-2012, 14:48
If Unique is a bit too slow consider Green Dot and Red Dot. Both are great flake powders.

F106 Fan
01-09-2012, 15:14

One interesting observation: no two burn-rate charts are the same! In Hodgdon's view (and they own IMR, the manufacturer of 700-X) 700-X is faster than Bullseye which is faster than Titegroup.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

On another chart Bullseye is fastest (#10) followed by Titegroup (#26) followed by 700-X (#43)

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

And a third variation with Bullseye (#6), Titegroup (#12) and 700-X (#28):

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Not that I care very much but I suppose I would consider the Hodgdon info as the more accurate although I wonder why they rate 700-X as faster than Bullseye.

I'm still going to use 700-X but I will admit to some confusion.

Richard