Taper crimp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taper crimp

themighty9mm
01-02-2012, 04:35
I have loaded close to 15K pistol bullets between 9mm 38/357. Have been tryin for the past 6 hours to work up some loads for 223. I'm having a huge problem with the crimping though. 6 hours and alot of cursing latter, and I cant figure it out. Never had a problem with crimps for 38s or 357 infact found that quite easy. This one eludes me though.
Problem is, with a fairly small amount of pressure I can set the bullet back to the top of the cannelure. I'm using a dillon 550, dillon dies, lake city brass, 55 gr bullets. Not sure of the make of the bullets, they were cheap. Supposed to be just like xm193. Bought em at wideners I beleive. Using the same set up I dont have this problem using 62 gr pulled m885 bullets. I have tried everything I can think of. Followed the directions perfectly. Even tried excessive crimp, and that was no go. Width of both bullets is the same near as my calipers can tell anyways. Any advice? I'm very confussed as to what the problem could be

Steve in PA
01-02-2012, 07:00
What COL are you using for the bullets?

I use a ton of the 55gr FMJ bullets from Widener's and never have a problem. When I load up some 62gr or even 75gr bullets, the only thing I have to change is the COL. All bullets are held in by nck tension and I've never had one back out or get pushed in. My dies are all RCBS.

Hoser
01-02-2012, 07:24
Dont crimp.

There is more than enough neck tension there to hold the bullet in place.

steve4102
01-02-2012, 07:56
If you haven't already done so, seat a few bullets without any crimp applied. See if you can set the bullets deeper as with the crimped rounds. If not, you have adequate neck tension and you know that your crimp is the problem.
Have you measured the diameter of the 55gr bullets? Should be .224.

Personally I do not crimp rifle rounds with the seating die, for semi-autos I use the Lee Factory Crimp die.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 10:10
I don't really crimp so much as just bump the case mouth a bit. Unless the cannelures are at diff locations on the bullet, you should be pretty close to correct OAL, within bullet tip variation.