What about roofing lead? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What about roofing lead?

Messenger
01-02-2012, 12:22
As I write this the pounding of hammers is deafening as my house is being re- roofed. While looking out the door my lead alarm started going off. Two lead stacks were laying out in the front yard, but not no more! This lead seems very soft. Is it good for black powder and sinkers only?

RustyFN
01-02-2012, 13:54
No, it can be mixed with wheel weights, lino or mono to make it harder. I would pick up all that I could.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 13:57
Casting good lead into sinkers should be a felony. Use the crappy zinc you find in ww bucketrs for that & use that lead flashing for casting handgun bullets. Just add some tin, linotype or ww alloy & go shooting.

Messenger
01-02-2012, 14:10
Oh well, I try to make the rounds at the tire stores, now I'll have to start lurking around roofing jobs.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 14:16
Oh well, I try to make the rounds at the tire stores, now I'll have to start lurking around roofing jobs.
Easer still, ask your roofing guy to call you & you go get his roofing lead that they demo. Most states require it to now be dispposed of in a HM site, so you are doing him a favor taking off his hands.:supergrin:

Messenger
01-02-2012, 14:22
Easer still, ask your roofing guy to call you & you go get his roofing lead that they demo. Most states require it to now be dispposed of in a HM site, so you are doing him a favor taking off his hands.:supergrin:

That's a good idea. It shouldn't be a problem, it turns out he likes to shoot and I've talked him into shooting at our Thursday night Bullseye league.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 14:27
That's a good idea. It shouldn't be a problem, it turns out he likes to shoot and I've talked him into shooting at our Thursday night Bullseye league.

Boom, there ya go! It's always about who you know. Muzzle laoding guys are also willing to trade pure lead for ww alloy, often to your advantage. So if yo uget a lot, offer up a trade for some clip ww alloy.:wavey:

Messenger
01-02-2012, 17:20
Thanks for the Ideas Fred. Time to get those wheels in motion.

dkf
01-02-2012, 17:30
Casting good lead into sinkers should be a felony. Use the crappy zinc you find in ww bucketrs for that & use that lead flashing for casting handgun bullets. Just add some tin, linotype or ww alloy & go shooting.

Zinc is worthless for casting any type of fishing lures. It is not dense enough. The same reason you wouldn't use zinc for casting bullets is the reason we don't use it for fishing lures. Believe it or not tungsten and even gold is used to make fishing lures due to both being heavier than lead. The smaller and denser the faster the sink rate.

fredj338
01-03-2012, 00:36
Zinc is worthless for casting any type of fishing lures. It is not dense enough. The same reason you wouldn't use zinc for casting bullets is the reason we don't use it for fishing lures. Believe it or not tungsten and even gold is used to make fishing lures due to both being heavier than lead. The smaller and denser the faster the sink rate.
The diff between wt of zinc & lead is there but the reason you don't cast bullets from zinc is they don't fill the molds out as readily. While that really doesn't matter to the fish. Beside, I am thinking ocean rigs where the wts are larger, guys out here use zinc all the time for deep see stuff.

Three-Five-Seven
01-03-2012, 10:48
Beside, I am thinking ocean rigs where the wts are larger, guys out here use zinc all the time for deep see stuff.

Yup. When you put a boat into salt water, you've got a battery because of the dialectric potential of the different metals that are submerged. The main concern is that the bronze components (propeller, shafts, etc) will sacrifice to the steel. So, they put zinc on the steel components so the current flows in the opposite direction. Zinc is used on gear for a slightly different purpose. Many old salts believe that fish are very sensitive to small electrical currents and that they will only approach an object that electrons are flowing from.

dkf
01-03-2012, 12:43
The diff between wt of zinc & lead is there but the reason you don't cast bullets from zinc is they don't fill the molds out as readily. While that really doesn't matter to the fish. Beside, I am thinking ocean rigs where the wts are larger, guys out here use zinc all the time for deep see stuff.

I forgot your out there by the coast. Can you still use lead on the inland freshwater lakes in Cali? New lead bans were put into effect on freshwater inland lakes for some New England states in the beginning of 2012. Which basically means some guys have to spend thousands to replace their tackle with lead in it.:faint:I fish primarily freshwater but do dip a line from time to time in the Atlantic. Has been a while though, havn't been out since they started to require licenses to fish in the ocean.:shocked:

I cast all my own jigheads because the junk coming from overseas doesn't cut the mustard. Plus I can use better quality hooks in different sizes. For casting jigheads the softer the lead the better. I got some old bullets years ago and tried them for casting but didn't work so well.

fredj338
01-03-2012, 14:13
I forgot your out there by the coast. Can you still use lead on the inland freshwater lakes in Cali? New lead bans were put into effect on freshwater inland lakes for some New England states in the beginning of 2012. Which basically means some guys have to spend thousands to replace their tackle with lead in it.:faint:I fish primarily freshwater but do dip a line from time to time in the Atlantic. Has been a while though, havn't been out since they started to require licenses to fish in the ocean.:shocked:

I cast all my own jigheads because the junk coming from overseas doesn't cut the mustard. Plus I can use better quality hooks in different sizes. For casting jigheads the softer the lead the better. I got some old bullets years ago and tried them for casting but didn't work so well.

I don't fish much, but if I can't shoot lead core bullets in Condor country, I doubt I can fish w/ lead wts. Stupid rules of course, but Kommifornia is full of stupid rules put in place by even more stupid politicians elected by even more stupid voters. Honestly, listen to Boxer or Pelosi talk & then try & figure out who the F--- would vote for anyone that stupid?:steamed: Oh wait, the same ones that believed in "hope & change".:upeyes:

garander
01-03-2012, 14:40
Your right Fred. I once heard Dennis miller say that pelosi could lose a game of tic tac toe, To an amoeba.

labdwakin
01-03-2012, 16:16
Some of the muzzie guys are having trouble finding soft lead to the point that they'll trade you WW lead 1.5-2 for 1. If it were me, I'd do it that way and not be having to scrounge stuff to alloy with.

fredj338
01-03-2012, 21:23
Your right Fred. I once heard Dennis miller say that pelosi could lose a game of tic tac toe, To an amoeba.

That is actually insulting to the aomeba.:highfive:

dkf
01-03-2012, 21:27
You can't forget Waxman. Hes right in there with the Pelosi lack of brain trust.

fredj338
01-04-2012, 13:23
You can't forget Waxman. Hes right in there with the Pelosi lack of brain trust.

Waxman makes Pelosi look like a Mensa member, god she is so stupid.:steamed: "We have to pass the bill so we can know what is in it"! "food stamps & unemployement insurance are the best bang for our stimulous $$"! Really?:faint:

Messenger
01-08-2012, 16:18
Have you ever noticed the longer an individual is in Washington the more they loose touch with reality? Pelosi & Biden aren't qualified to be dog catcher but are right in line for village Idiot. These to clowns have been there around 40 years. Can you think of a better reason for term limits?

fredj338
01-08-2012, 16:59
Have you ever noticed the longer an individual is in Washington the more they loose touch with reality? Pelosi & Biden aren't qualified to be dog catcher but are right in line for village Idiot. These to clowns have been there around 40 years. Can you think of a better reason for term limits?
:arg: COngress will NEVER vote themselves out of office which is what term limits are. I blaim the voter more than the idiot/moronic polictician. After all, they elect the fools w/o doing their due diligence. I often think voters should be means tested, many aren't smart enough to get out of their own way anymore.:steamed:

Messenger
01-08-2012, 18:08
Well, since around 50% pay no Federal tax and/or are on some sort of public assistance, they will of course vote for whom ever will give them the most entitlements.

fredj338
01-09-2012, 01:17
Well, since around 50% pay no Federal tax and/or are on some sort of public assistance, they will of course vote for whom ever will give them the most entitlements.

Exactly! Maybe we should go back to the way it was; propety owners only.:whistling: