Subsonic 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic 9mm?

ronin.45
01-02-2012, 16:06
Im getting my suppressed SBR together and want to have some subsonic on hand for the inaugural firing. What do you guys like and where do you get it?

chemcmndr
01-02-2012, 20:36
Pretty much any 147 grain 9mm ammunition is subsonic. Since I reload, I used a friend's recipe for competition 147 grain rounds as my subsonic load.

ronin.45
01-03-2012, 11:18
I was more wondering if anyone preferred 147/158 and where they have found the best prices. I don't reload so making my own is out.

Mayhem like Me
01-03-2012, 19:21
Hydrashock 147 sometimes goes SupaSonic.. I like the Remmington 147 HP subsonic ...
158 grain stuff is ifffy.

TTM65
01-04-2012, 00:20
I use federal 147gr or my own 147 gr gold dot reloads that I load to 1000 fs. I am shooting it out of an integrally suppressed 9mm AR without issues.

01-08-2012, 19:43
Im getting my suppressed SBR together and want to have some subsonic on hand for the inaugural firing. What do you guys like and where do you get it?

I've used I.M.I Samson 158gr FMJ in many different firearms in both suppressed and unsuppressed, as well as in; H&K's MP5 and MP5SD’s they worked great.
There very easy to identify by the "baby blue" tip on the bullet.

cdog533
01-08-2012, 21:04
147's are tough to get expansion out of subsonically, just keep that in mind. Some of the newer loads seem to be better than what was out there, but 5-10 years ago, the loads sucked.

Every 147 I've dug out (of dead tangos for internet purposes) of my backstop is usually intact.

ronin.45
01-09-2012, 07:37
I'm not worried about expansion. This is a competition/fun gun. I just want good sound signature and cheap price. I plan on shooting the hell out of it so I'm going to buy in bulk.

RWBlue
01-10-2012, 14:55
I'm not worried about expansion. This is a competition/fun gun. I just want good sound signature and cheap price. I plan on shooting the hell out of it so I'm going to buy in bulk.

I am going to suggest buying a box or two to start and understand what works best for you gun.

First there is the the feeding and ejecting. You are not a novice so you know sometimes what works for one gun will not work for another.

Second, the closer you are to the sound barrier the louder the shot. When breaking the sound barrier there is a crack that is louder. This is why some people like the 158gr ammo, it is suppose to be quieter.

Third, 147gr is usually subsonic for me, but I can not remember if it is the guys in high altitude or low altitude that tell me it sometimes goes supersonic.

Beyond that,
:needspics:
I want to see the new setup.:supergrin:

01-10-2012, 19:59
Well since you’re just shooting loads for paper and steel, maybe this might work for you.
Awhile back I wanted a good subsonic heavy hitters but I didn’t want too play the price of factory ammo, especially for IMI’s 158gr FMJ.
So I took .358” diameter 160gr RN lead bullets that I used in my .38 Special.
I’d bought about 10,000 of these at one time; for next to nothing. These bullets were very hard cast; now remember they have to be “hard cast” I ran them through my RCBS bullet sizer and lube press to .355” diameter, lubing them at the same time. Loaded them into my 9mm’s and as long as I kept them at about 950 fps and under they shot great with no leading on the baffles or in the barrel. They even worked in our MP5 & SD and my suppressed Colt AR15 9mm without a hitch. The gun that really liked them the best was my H&KP7M8

ronin.45
01-11-2012, 12:15
I am going to suggest buying a box or two to start and understand what works best for you gun.

First there is the the feeding and ejecting. You are not a novice so you know sometimes what works for one gun will not work for another.

Second, the closer you are to the sound barrier the louder the shot. When breaking the sound barrier there is a crack that is louder. This is why some people like the 158gr ammo, it is suppose to be quieter.

Third, 147gr is usually subsonic for me, but I can not remember if it is the guys in high altitude or low altitude that tell me it sometimes goes supersonic.

Beyond that,
:needspics:

I want to see the new setup.:supergrin:

I'd love to show it to you, but it will be several months until I can put it all together legally.:crying: I'm using that time to get all the parts and accessories together.

ronin.45
01-11-2012, 12:18
Well since you’re just shooting loads for paper and steel, maybe this might work for you.
Awhile back I wanted a good subsonic heavy hitters but I didn’t want too play the price of factory ammo, especially for IMI’s 158gr FMJ.
So I took .358” diameter 160gr RN lead bullets that I used in my .38 Special.
I’d bought about 10,000 of these at one time; for next to nothing. These bullets were very hard cast; now remember they have to be “hard cast” I ran them through my RCBS bullet sizer and lube press to .355” diameter, lubing them at the same time. Loaded them into my 9mm’s and as long as I kept them at about 950 fps and under they shot great with no leading on the baffles or in the barrel. They even worked in our MP5 & SD and my suppressed Colt AR15 9mm without a hitch. The gun that really liked them the best was my H&KP7M8

I don't currently reload, but I might start using a buddy's equipment just for this gun.

01-11-2012, 15:12
I don't currently reload, but I might start using a buddy's equipment just for this gun.

Anytime you want to shoot cheaply; you'll need to make the initial investment in basic equipment'..., then buy a "crap-pot" of components, after the first investment you are in the money as they say.

RWBlue
01-11-2012, 15:38

Understand you will not save money by reloading, but you will shoot more and you will learn lots by reloading.

I would also suggest you DON'T reload for this gun first. Everyone makes mistakes when they first start reloading. Because you will be using a silencer, it may be very costly mistake and it may be very hard to know you had a mistake until after it becomes painfully obvious.

I suggest trying to reload a non-suppressed pistol round first. 9mm is ok, but 45ACP and 44mag are easier for my fat fingers..

ronin.45
01-11-2012, 20:40
I don't currently reload because I don't have room. I share an apartment with a roommate and a dog. We fill this place pretty full. A friend of mine is looking at a 650. I might go halves with him so I can go over there and load.

@RW- I'm with you on choosing a different gun to start reloading for. This suppressed SBR would be a very pricey reloading mistake. I shoot a bunch of .45 as well, so I can start there.

RWBlue
01-11-2012, 22:09
I don't currently reload because I don't have room. I share an apartment with a roommate and a dog. We fill this place pretty full. A friend of mine is looking at a 650. I might go halves with him so I can go over there and load.

Sounds like a good idea, but....

1. Lock up your powder. Not that I don't trust your friend, but if the wrong powder in the wrong container, your screwed.
2. Sharing dies could be difficult. If you are going to share the 45ACP dies, set them up to work with all the different bullets. Remember you do not have to setup the cartridge for max length. You do have to setup the cartridge to feed in the magazine. I have my dies setup to work with all the different bullets. I don't change the bullet seating depth. This way I should be able to go back to a load years later and continue from the point that I was at earlier. A separate plate may be the easiest way to know that your friend didn't change something.

ronin.45
01-12-2012, 08:28
We'll both be loading generic competition fodder. Neither one of us has any interest in loading powder puff loads or defensive ammo. It'll be basically factory spec 45 ball ammo just to save money. We'll probably get an 8# keg of bullseye or unique and both use it. If I decide later to try subsonic 9mm I'll get separate components for that.

Rumbler_G20
01-12-2012, 18:54
http://www.nationalgunforum.com/showthread.php?28885-Winchester-Ranger-147-Grain-SXT-500rd-Case

:wavey:

TTM65
01-12-2012, 20:52
I have built several integrally suppressed 9mm AR's and I use 147 gr federal ammo. It cycles the guns reliably and I have never had an issue with it.

ronin.45
01-13-2012, 10:34
Thanks TTM65.

Yellowfin
02-04-2012, 20:45
Silver Bear 145 is really affordable and works quite well, if you can find it.