Slug question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slug question

G19Tony
01-02-2012, 19:33
I'm taking a shotgun class this Saturday and we'll be shooting some slugs during the COF. I have some rifled slugs that I've had for some time. Can you shoot these from a non rifled barrel?

Thanks for your help.

Goldstar225
01-02-2012, 19:40
The standard rifled (full caliber) slug is the correct round for non-rifled barrels. Sabot slugs are at their best in rifled barrels.

G19Tony
01-02-2012, 21:10
Thank you for the information.

owl6roll
01-03-2012, 07:51
10-4...what he said.

collim1
01-03-2012, 16:04
Be sure to bring a few different types of slugs to try. Some guns significantly favor one brand of slugs compared to the others.

My 870 shoots Brenekke KO slugs very well.

PlasticGuy
01-04-2012, 15:47
The rifled slug question has been answered well already, but I do have something to add.

If you can find them, get low recoil buckshot and slugs for your class. I've attended shotgun classes that only involve a small number of shells fired. However, I have attended a few LEO Instructor classes that had us firing 300-400 shells per day for 3-5 days. With full power slugs and buckshot, everyone in the class was hurting pretty bad. The guys with low recoil ammo were hurting a lot less though. Less recoil is better, and worth a little extra money if necessary.

G19Tony
01-05-2012, 08:40
The rifled slug question has been answered well already, but I do have something to add.

If you can find them, get low recoil buckshot and slugs for your class. I've attended shotgun classes that only involve a small number of shells fired. However, I have attended a few LEO Instructor classes that had us firing 300-400 shells per day for 3-5 days. With full power slugs and buckshot, everyone in the class was hurting pretty bad. The guys with low recoil ammo were hurting a lot less though. Less recoil is better, and worth a little extra money if necessary.

I have low recoil buck. The slugs are Wolf, probably not the best, but we are only going to shoot 15 and this would be a good chance to get rid of them.

CAcop
01-05-2012, 10:07

At our instructor course we ran birdshot for most of it. Since most of it was close range training on steel it made sense.

If I were running a shotgun course there would be lots of birdshot, some slug drills, and a little bit of buckshot patterning.

PlasticGuy
01-05-2012, 16:29
At our instructor course we ran birdshot for most of it. Since most of it was close range training on steel it made sense.

If I were running a shotgun course there would be lots of birdshot, some slug drills, and a little bit of buckshot patterning.
That is what I have seen in private classes, and in most LE classes. Unfortunately, the indoor range at our state police academy has a filtration system that gets plugged with birdshot. Fortunately, they are now running their shotgun classes off site at an outdoor range. The last shotgun instructor class I took was the last taught at the indoor range. Lucky me.

method
01-05-2012, 18:17
I have low recoil buck. The slugs are Wolf, probably not the best, but we are only going to shoot 15 and this would be a good chance to get rid of them.

Wolf's not a bad slug. I've never shot groups with them out of my 870, but they've hit what I aim at.

G19Tony
01-05-2012, 20:08

That's exactly what it will be.

100 birdshot

50 buck

15 slug

B Coyote
01-06-2012, 02:22
Wolf slugs are actually excellent, and I'm not the greatest shot in the world.

25 yards from my 1187P:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/arvg1/th_1187PSlugsWolf25yrds.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/arvg1/?action=view&current=1187PSlugsWolf25yrds.jpg)

bc