XDM and Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XDM and Glock

Madmax1010
01-03-2012, 07:22
Hello

I have been out shooting the springfield XDm 45 4.5 and my glock 21sf.
These two guns are excellent,Accurate and very dependable in my opinion.
In the last two days I have put 900 rds thru each.
I carry a sig p220 or a 1911 but after spending the last two days shooting the glock and the XDM it is very tempting to reconsider.

As far as in your opinion , dependability and durability which would take the lead?

BTW I know this is a glock forum but try to lookpast this with your replies. Thanks

I'm not talking about feel or accuracy just Dependability and durability.

DWARREN123
01-03-2012, 07:29
From my experience the Glock has held up much better. My experience is a few years old and just me, YMMV. :wavey:

legion3
01-03-2012, 07:31
Oh I think they both will be solid in those departments.

The XD45 line of guns just hasn't been out as long as the Glock 21 has been (so less long term knowledge) but I bet both will likely outlast you in durability.

The polymer mags of the Glock are likely to take more abuse and last longer than the metal mags of the XD but that would be a very very small issue overall and not likely to matter.

sheepman
01-03-2012, 07:32
I don't think there will be much difference in dependability, both are good quality guns. I have a G21 and shoot action pistol with friends that have the XD. Both brands run OK if fed good ammo and the shooter does his part. :whistling:

KarlThomas
01-03-2012, 07:40
I've never had a failure with either.
I found the XDm 45 more pleasant to shoot and liked the ergonomics better.
I like that the glock doesn't have a grip safety.

All around, I like the XDm 45 as a whole more than I like any Glock in 45. A lot of this has to do with the fat grip on the glock 45s. The XDms perform much better in my hands because they fit in my hands better. If you have gorilla hands, it may be a non-issue, but for me, even the SF versions aren't comfortable. I think they are both incredibly dependable and durable.

DANGELO
01-03-2012, 08:33
I prefer to shoot, service and tweak a Glock. Both are old enough as XDs are a legacy Croatian design.

Go glock!

xmanhockey7
01-03-2012, 08:35
I have more trust in my Glock's durability over my XDM. Especially with the magazines. The glock mags I feel like i can throw down in the dirt step on then pick up and still be 100%. Def wouldn't dare do that with the Springfield mags.

brisk21
01-03-2012, 08:47
Both guns should meed anyones expectations of durability and depentability. That being said, go with the one you like to shoot more. Its actually a very hard choice. You'll probably end up with both. I prefer the Glock platform. (Ive had both)

TX expat
01-03-2012, 09:00
I think you'd be fine with either in that regard, and that's from someone who owns XDs and has never owned a Glock...

I've carried an XD as my CCW pistol for several years now and I've never had one issue with it (and more than enough rounds put through it to feel comfortable saying so). The XD is a rugged pistol and from the durability and dependability aspects, you probably wouldn't see any difference from a Glock. Obviously with no personal experience about Glock, I can't testify to much, but its combat worthiness has been proven enough times over that I don't need to carry one to know how it would hold up.

My only real gripe about the XD line is the grip safety. It didn't used to seem like a negative, but the more "worst case scenario" type of stuff I read and try and practice for, the more I'm finding that safety a liability. That's completely a personal opinion though and I don't expect it to necessarily apply to anyone but me.

Madmax1010
01-03-2012, 09:32
I think you'd be fine with either in that regard, and that's from someone who owns XDs and has never owned a Glock...

I've carried an XD as my CCW pistol for several years now and I've never had one issue with it (and more than enough rounds put through it to feel comfortable saying so). The XD is a rugged pistol and from the durability and dependability aspects, you probably wouldn't see any difference from a Glock. Obviously with no personal experience about Glock, I can't testify to much, but its combat worthiness has been proven enough times over that I don't need to carry one to know how it would hold up.

My only real gripe about the XD line is the grip safety. It didn't used to seem like a negative, but the more "worst case scenario" type of stuff I read and try and practice for, the more I'm finding that safety a liability. That's completely a personal opinion though and I don't expect it to necessarily apply to anyone but me.

I have heard a lot of complaining when it comes to the grip safety on the XD guns.
I personally don't have any problems with it because I'm an old 1911 fart anyway. Just for the heck of it why do possibly see the grip safety a liability?

TX expat
01-03-2012, 09:39
I have heard a lot of complaining when it comes to the grip safety on the XD guns.
I personally don't have any problems with it because I'm an old 1911 fart anyway. Just for the heck of it why do possibly see the grip safety a liability?

For me it's all about manipulation under stress/injury/weak hand types of situations. I've shot thousands of rounds through my XD and it's never actually been an issue, but after I started doing some dry fire practice stuff, I have actually had a couple of times where I couldn't get pin to drop simply because I wasn't fully engaging the safety.

Is that relevant for most applications? Probably not, and I admit that I was making an effort to create situations where I wouldn't be able to just draw my pistol and shoot normally. It did concern me enough that I've decided to look at something without any external safeties for my CCW weapon though.

eclark53520
01-03-2012, 09:39
I really like XD's except for the grip safety.

Which is why i carry Glock. Both are about even in the accuracy, dependability, etc categories.

If you are OK with the grip safety, both will be a good choice in carry weapon. I can't recommend one over the other.

eclark53520
01-03-2012, 09:43

I've had a couple of issues while practicing drawing from concealment where i didn't get my grip perfect which resulted in the grip safety not being pressed enough to fire the weapon. And under the stress of a life/death scenario i feel that's a probable situation.

Also during malfunction drills it has been an issue more so. Since you have to depress the safety in order to rack the slide.

brisk21
01-03-2012, 10:08
I never had a problem with the XD grip safety. I could take it or leave it. My XD and XDM always shot great and everthing. The gun just didn't fit my hand as well as the Glocks and I like the Glock trigger much better. That is the main reasons I prefer Glocks. You can't go wrong with either, and I think that the XD series is underrated when compared to other designs such as M&Ps, Sigs, HKs, and Glocks.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
01-03-2012, 11:45
Hello

I carry a sig p220 or a 1911 but after spending the last two days shooting the glock and the XDM it is very tempting to reconsider.

As far as in your opinion , dependability and durability which would take the lead?

BTW I know this is a glock forum but try to lookpast this with your replies. Thanks

This thread should give you your answer :supergrin:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/13658_.html&page=1

Comedian
01-03-2012, 12:03
Both are great, but for your criteria, i would go with Glock, by a slight margin.

Madmax1010
01-03-2012, 12:17
This thread should give you your answer :supergrin:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/13658_.html&page=1

Ya I seen that before that is impressive to say the least.
I don't know if there are any other guns i know of that with fair that well to be honest. It would be interesting to see if an XDM would come close or not.
Have you ever seen anything torture tests done on XDM's or XD's any where near like that?

LawScholar
01-03-2012, 12:21
I've had a couple of issues while practicing drawing from concealment where i didn't get my grip perfect which resulted in the grip safety not being pressed enough to fire the weapon. And under the stress of a life/death scenario i feel that's a probable situation.

Also during malfunction drills it has been an issue more so. Since you have to depress the safety in order to rack the slide.

I read a person's extremely harrowing personal defense story once where they had to deploy their 1911 (Colt Commander) and their hand had been injured, which delayed firing by several seconds. It's a long shot but a risk I'd rather not take.

I'm partial to Glock. XD's a fine gun, though.

TX expat
01-03-2012, 12:28
There's several extensive torture test articles on the XD. Heck, I've seen one on one of the Hi-Point pistols that was pretty impressive.

I can't say how definitively close they are to that one but it's enough to say that they all exceeded any realistic use that any normal person would ever subject a firearm to. Dropped in mud, sand and stuff like that, yeah sure; that stuff is probably all good, real-world test criteria. Does it matter that a Glock can be cemented inside a block of concrete, then buried in a yeti's rectum for two months before being extracted, chipped out and then fired? No so much.

boilergonzo
01-03-2012, 12:31
In .45ACP I prefer the XD (size and fit). I view my XD's and Glocks as identical in reliability and performance.

With regard to the grip safety, I like it. I don't see the limitations and concerns others have (they are entitled to their opinions and they are valid opinions, we just happen to disagree). I cannot manage to get any resonable grip I would fire from that does not result in the saftey working as designed. If I contort my grip to an insane position that fails to operate the grip safety, I cannot imagine actually firing the gun like that (I think the gun would chip my teeth or hit me in the ear!).

Pick the one you like. Both are viable options. Pick the one that fits you best. If it is a dead tie-breaker prioritize the two following items or let price decide:

If you like the idea of safer holstering WITH a grip safety, get the XD.
If you like the idea of potentially less safe holstering, but NO grip safety, get the Glock.

Both arguments have a hint of reality, but both are pretty long reaches... odds are, with good technique both will adequately serve!

As for the mags... Never had an XD mag problem. Never had a Glock mag problem. Metal mags help allow for thinner grips on XD. Aside from the benefit of thin-ness, I see little advantage of one over the other.

gocubs6
01-03-2012, 15:11
Hello

I have a G26, G19, and an XDM all in 9mm. I want to like the Glocks better. But, the fact is that all of them have been 100% since day one. The XDM points perfectly, the grip/trigger are right for me, and I'm a better shooter w/ it.

drew4691
01-03-2012, 15:13
Glock, duh.

bac1023
01-03-2012, 20:15
I much prefer the XDm.

GOOFA
01-04-2012, 04:36
The Glock would be and is my choice. If you really want to tempt yourself get hold of a Glock 21 Gen4, a big improvement over an already excellent G21SF.

Madmax1010
01-04-2012, 11:06
I much prefer the XDm.

Bac1023

I respect your opinions on things when it comes to guns, with that said
Why do you prefer the XDM over glock?

Paul7
01-04-2012, 11:17
My G21 was not reliable, even after going back to the factory.

Madmax1010
01-04-2012, 12:51
My G21 was not reliable, even after going back to the factory.

I have heard some people saying that not many tho.
What seem to be wrong with yours if you don't mind me asking?

eracer
01-04-2012, 12:56
Re: the XDM, I read that the slide can't be manipulated unless the grip safety is depressed. True?

This seems like a deal-breaker as far as a SD weapon is concerned.

gocubs6
01-04-2012, 16:13
Re: the XDM, I read that the slide can't be manipulated unless the grip safety is depressed. True?

This seems like a deal-breaker as far as a SD weapon is concerned.

This is true. I see this point all the time and I have yet to see anyone show me how you would rack a firearm w/o a grip on the handle. How would you ever manipulate the slide in a SD situation w/o at least one hand on the grip?

Aceman
01-04-2012, 19:38
Ok - I'm an HK fanboy. So I'm objective. Compared to an HK45, they both suck.

That said - two excellent weapons, with a somewhat differnt approach to things. But overall, can't lose either way - especially with Gen 4 Glock vs XDm.

I have an XD45, and never would have thought I'd have a grip safety gun. But it has been a non issue...and is the most accurate pistol I own period.

glock2740
01-04-2012, 20:04
I prefer my XD45 over the G21. And I like the XDm9 over the G17. Other than that, I prefer my Glocks over the other XD's and XDm's I've owned. Sold my XD40sc, and much more prefer my G27 over it. And recently sold my XDm40 to a buddy(get to "keep it in the family", so I can shoot it anytime I want:)). I much prefer my G23 over the XDm40, even though I would say that it should bo more properly compared to a G22, but I've yet to buy a G22. It all comes down to what feels good in your hand. The Glock and XD/XDm are GREAT guns. I have a few M&P's as well and they are in the same class. I owned a HK USP40 and it was a great gun, but it didn't feel good to me. Lots of great choices out there. :cool:

glock2740
01-04-2012, 20:07
I have an XD45, and never would have thought I'd have a grip safety gun. But it has been a non issue...and is the most accurate pistol I own period.
I LOVE my XD45 too. GREAT gun. And yes, very accurate. :thumbsup:

txpitdog
01-05-2012, 11:35
For me, XD feels better at the counter, Glock feels better while actually shooting. XD easier to fire accurately in slow fire, Glock easier to fire accurately quickly. XD = mushy trigger. Glock trigger is like pressing a button. 1911 trigger is freaking awesome.

Prefer a 1911 to both for range shooting. Prefer both to a 1911 for self/home defense.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

eclark53520
01-05-2012, 11:45
This is true. I see this point all the time and I have yet to see anyone show me how you would rack a firearm w/o a grip on the handle. How would you ever manipulate the slide in a SD situation w/o at least one hand on the grip?

4 people have come to me in the last year asking why sometimes they can rack the slide and sometimes if feels like it's locked. They can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why it happens either.

I only know 5 people that own XD's.

That's a pretty good percentage. And 3 of the 4 people are very well versed in guns, so it's not just a newb problem AFAIC.

It's just a risk i'm not willing to take in a life or death situation.

gocubs6
01-05-2012, 19:48
4 people have come to me in the last year asking why sometimes they can rack the slide and sometimes if feels like it's locked. They can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why it happens either.

That's a pretty good percentage. And 3 of the 4 people are very well versed in guns, so it's not just a newb problem AFAIC.

The question is have you had any problems? Having alot of guns doesn't mean much. You definitely need to have a proper grip when operating a pistol w/ a grip safety. If the person is used to a different grip, then that could cause problems. I'm still baffled how you can grip that pistol and not engage the grip safety.

Either way, if you don't feel comfortable, then I'm w/ you. Go w/ something else.

Electrikkoolaid
01-05-2012, 21:21
I don't see how one can grab an XD45 in a manner that you could fire it (under control) and NOT depress the lightly-sprung grip safety.

I've sat and played with it, and don't see how you can rack it one handed and also NOT get the grip safety either.

The safety is very passive, and prevents shooting your leg by holding it like so when reholstering:

http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hpim1987.jpg

There may be issues that favor the Glock over the XD (or vice versa), but the grip safety is a total non-issue in my actual experience.

ArmoryDoc
01-05-2012, 22:11
Interweb myths gone wild.

They are both good guns and I would be fine with either.

Shark1007
01-07-2012, 15:24
I have both, actually, I have two M21's. One is the "boat gun" and the other is the "office gun" now.

These are older Glocks, never had an issue except feeding Black Talons. I called Glock, they said there were recalls and refurbed both nicely.

I bought an XDM and it points better than the Glock for me.(bear in mind that with these two excellent guns, we are talking very subtle differences) The XDM, in my hands, just shoots a little better than the Glock.

I have great faith in both, but the XDM is now the bedside gun with a TLR laser/light, having replaced a Glock. I got the free magazine deal and the gun came with a superior case, a holster and more "stuff" than the Glock.

You can't go wrong with either. I still feel the Glock is a tiny bit hardier, but the Springfield shoots better for me. If I were in the field, my preference might well be reversed.

bunk22
01-07-2012, 16:09

Well in that case, it's a wrap, scientifically proven, eclark knows 5 people with XD's and 4 have an issue and thus, problems are a given :supergrin:

I have 2 XD's and though I prefer my G19 in 9mm, I prefer my XD45c to my old G21.

Aceman
01-07-2012, 17:30
You know, this is kind of old, but I think it still applies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ

glock2740
01-07-2012, 18:11
You know, this is kind of old, but I think it still applies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ
Yeah, but it's still funny. :cool:

Bearlaker
03-06-2012, 13:37
The XD/XDM is a great pistol, just overcomplicated and too high of a bore axis(for me)compared to Glock.