Just how effective is the .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just how effective is the .40

3000fps
01-03-2012, 09:15
Anyone have experience with this round for self-defense? Not saying firsthand but articles etc

Aux Bear
01-03-2012, 09:36
:deadhorse:

Aargh!

Foxtrotx1
01-03-2012, 09:40
It's terribly ineffective. But it's better than a Rock. /Thread.

TX expat
01-03-2012, 10:08
It's terribly ineffective. But it's better than a Rock. /Thread.

I think that's a subjective and misleading statement sir.

Are you taking about a full granite jacket rock or a hollow core rock? What weight rock are you referring to? Hand thrown or mechanically manipulated? There are plenty of large rocks I'd trust my life to but they wouldn't be acceptable for pocket carry...

Too many variables to fairly judge the rock this way, IMO.

Gunshine
01-03-2012, 10:11
I think that's a subjective and misleading statement sir.

Are you taking about a full granite jacket rock or a hollow core rock? What weight rock are you referring to? Hand thrown or mechanically manipulated? There are plenty of large rocks I'd trust my life to but they wouldn't be acceptable for pocket carry...

Too many variables to fairly judge the rock this way, IMO.

:rofl:Perfect:rofl:

3000fps
01-03-2012, 10:16
If it was so redundant you didn't have to comment, better yet quit hanging around in the caliber corner. What else did you expect?

I am considering going from .40 to 9mm

SPIN2010
01-03-2012, 10:21
Both are fine rounds (save your cash on the switch). :cool:

cowboywannabe
01-03-2012, 10:32
well, a shot to the chest with a .40 is more effective than a shot to the leg with a .40.

SCSU74
01-03-2012, 10:39
If it was so redundant you didn't have to comment, better yet quit hanging around in the caliber corner. What else did you expect?

are you LEO or using it just for plinking? One of our instructors told me something that i thought was funny and very true at the same time, pistols are for poking holes long guns are for F'ing stuff up haha. Basically shoot what you are comfortable with, personally i am not a fan of .40 because for me the recoil is worse than the .45 that i carry every day. 9mm with good modern ammo will serve you fine. We are issued 124g +p gold dots and it is an awesome little round, goes through glass, heavy clothing, whatever you need. You can google ATK ammo tests and they show 9mm going through all kinds of barriers and penetration tests.

TX expat
01-03-2012, 10:39
In seriousness, I'll say this; I'm making that same switch myself.

It's not really about 'effective' so much as capacity and faster shot control. Pretty much any credible research you do on effective ballistics will lead you to the conclusion that there is no real conclusion... Shot placement seems to be the only definitive 'effective' variable, and even that has numerous issues since even well placed shots that produce catastrophic wounds may not produce desired results immediately.

It seems that a good number of credible trainers (Rob Pinkus, etc.) have advocated the 9mm for just this reason, for SD. Rob has a good article on the internet (and it's one of the many reasons I like the guy) on why he now realizes that while he used to love the .40 round, he accepts that the 9mm is a better SD choice.

Now before anyone jumps in with all the law enforcement contradictions, I'm specifically referring to concealed carry self defense. Sure tons of LE agencies use .40s but they are open carrying full frame pistols and they have close to 60 rounds hanging off their belt. These guys are talking about discreetly carrying a single firearm, so they are making allowances for the constraints of concealed carry.

Bottom like, I believe either one would work so it just comes down to what works best for you.

3000fps
01-03-2012, 11:57
In seriousness, I'll say this; I'm making that same switch myself.

It's not really about 'effective' so much as capacity and faster shot control. Pretty much any credible research you do on effective ballistics will lead you to the conclusion that there is no real conclusion... Shot placement seems to be the only definitive 'effective' variable, and even that has numerous issues since even well placed shots that produce catastrophic wounds may not produce desired results immediately.

It seems that a good number of credible trainers (Rob Pinkus, etc.) have advocated the 9mm for just this reason, for SD. Rob has a good article on the internet (and it's one of the many reasons I like the guy) on why he now realizes that while he used to love the .40 round, he accepts that the 9mm is a better SD choice.

Now before anyone jumps in with all the law enforcement contradictions, I'm specifically referring to concealed carry self defense. Sure tons of LE agencies use .40s but they are open carrying full frame pistols and they have close to 60 rounds hanging off their belt. These guys are talking about discreetly carrying a single firearm, so they are making allowances for the constraints of concealed carry.

Bottom like, I believe either one would work so it just comes down to what works best for you.

Thank You!

Now I have to decide whether to carry the LWD 40-9 or just trade for a G19 lol

TX expat
01-03-2012, 12:07
No problem.

I'm going to pick up a G19 in the near future and start working with it and I'm sure that my current .40 carry pistol will get sold shortly thereafter. Personally, I wouldn't trade off my current weapon until I felt proficient with the new one, but if both were similar enough (like going from a Glock .40 to a Glock 9), I guess that might not be much of a concern since they'd feel and function the same. That's not an option for me though since I don't carry or own any other Glocks at this point.

9mm +p+
01-03-2012, 12:19
Therre's not a dimes worth of difference between 9,40,45 with PROPER loads. Carry what you want, all will work fine IF you do your part. i switched to 9 for EDC and have not looked back, lot's of rounds, light recoil for quick follow ups and good barrier penetration.

Quarter Tank
01-03-2012, 12:38
I like a bigger bullet. but that's just me. I would love to use a G21sf but its still a bit too big for my hands. Thats why I use a G22 and G27.

I like the ballistics of the GD 180gr and will give up 2 or 3 rounds of 9mm for it.

but that's just me.

Tiro Fijo
01-03-2012, 12:52
Therre's not a nickel's worth of difference between 9,40,45 with PROPER loads. Carry what you want, all will work fine IF you do your part. i switched to 9 for EDC and have not looked back, lot's of rounds, light recoil for quick follow ups and good barrier penetration.

Fixed it for ya & totally agree. :supergrin:

Metal_Tiger
01-03-2012, 14:58
I own both calibers in several Glocks
G26 G19 G27 and G23

My fav is the little G26. Can't get enough of that one. They all work though as you guys have said so well.

From what you guys are saying about the 9mm, I am making the right choice it seems in training more with the 'Baby Glock". Here in California the flush 10 round mag in the G26 is just as good as the flush 10 single stack mag in the G19. The smaller handle is just a more handy.

Metal_Tiger
01-03-2012, 15:00
ooooops

OctoberRust
01-04-2012, 17:11
Anyone have experience with this round for self-defense? Not saying firsthand but articles etc

It's about as effective as you are accurate...

barth
01-04-2012, 17:37

Just get a 40-9 conversion barrel and shoot both.
(I have a G27/40 with 357 and 9 barrels)

As for effective?
I think everybody would agree that SD ammo in 9/357/40/45 are all just fine.

And 40 in particular?
Something like 50% plus of all LE run 40.
But you already knew that right?

swinokur
01-04-2012, 17:54
hmmmm,

janice6
01-04-2012, 17:59
I'm not going to say it.........I'm not................I'm not....

Mattkcc
01-04-2012, 21:18
When my dept switched no real difference in shooting results. If you hit a guy in the spine he would drop if not he ran. It like shooting a dear with a 308 or 30-06 the deer can't tell the difference. What was noted was lower scores on the range in both slow and rapid fire. If I wanted more I'd get a 45. Also as the gun gets smaller 22-23- baby Glock so does the control issues. I really looked forward to the 40 cal. but after we got it I was soon wanting my 17 back. Bad guys can't tell the difference when they get hit.