Nosler 180 grain E-Tip 30-06 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nosler 180 grain E-Tip 30-06

Zombie Steve
01-03-2012, 18:08
A buddy gave me a box of these yesterday. Thought it would make a good elk load. Dang, these bullets are long (no lead, just copper alloy). I emailed Nosler as there was no data in their manual for this bullet, and they said to back off published max for their other bullets by 2 grains and that I should make sure I'm at least .050" off the lands. OK, food for thought.

If I'm going to go through load development, I'll likely want another box. They sure are pricey bullets, so I don't want to do this twice.

So, choice #1 - IMR 4350 or RE-22? That's what I have on hand. Nosler's book shows both as being more accurate on the low end of the data in their testing, but RE-22 as having a touch more speed (I'm mentally subtracting about 80-100fps as my barrel is 2" shorter than tested. I've had good experiences with RE-22 in the past... IMR 4350 was given to me and I'd always heard it was great in the '06.

Choice #2 - leave them on the shelf and go buy some interbonds or mag tips for half the price. No lead restrictions here or anywhere else I hunt.

Willing to entertain other powders if you have a compelling reason... any experience with gilding metal bullets is welcome. Your thoughts?

labdwakin
01-03-2012, 18:14
Well, my first reaction is to say that you shouldn't mess with those at all and should just send them to me for proper disposal...

However, I have used 4350 in the venerable and much discounted 30-06 with excellent results. I have NOT had any experience with RE-22 though.

Should be an EXCELLENT elk bullet, but you might be able to trade them to some poor guy in Kommiefornia for twice as many of something that has published data and contains lead. Just my $.02.

F106 Fan
01-03-2012, 18:22
I was surprised that the bullet wasn't in the Nosler Reloading Guide 6.

One thing I did note is that all of the RE22 loads are compressed - perhaps as much as 10% (assuming 2 gr off max) whereas the IMR4350 loads are not. I'm wondering where that extra 10% goes before the bullet is seated.

Richard

Zombie Steve
01-03-2012, 18:44
Compressed RE-22 loads in .30-06 with 180's are nothing new. My Mag-tips I shoot now crunch a bit and I'm just above the middle of Speer's data. I am wondering how much it will be with this bullet. When I first saw them, I thought they were 200's. Did I mention they are freakin' long?

I've also heard some guns just don't like gilding metal bullets. All the pics I've seen of them taken from game animals sure look impressive. Weight retention is supposedly 95%, but I keep seeing accuracy complaints.

:dunno:

WiskyT
01-03-2012, 19:01
Maybe there just isn't enough room in an '06 case for enough power with that bullet? You could always single load them.

labdwakin
01-03-2012, 19:03
Please keep in mind that bearing surface of the bullet is your biggest concern. Is your '06 a 1:10 twist?

dkf
01-03-2012, 20:48
Midway has the E-Tips listed cheaper than the Partitions. The Barnes TSX seems to be the most popular lead free bullets.

fredj338
01-03-2012, 21:15
Compressed RE-22 loads in .30-06 with 180's are nothing new. My Mag-tips I shoot now crunch a bit and I'm just above the middle of Speer's data. I am wondering how much it will be with this bullet. When I first saw them, I thought they were 200's. Did I mention they are freakin' long?

I've also heard some guns just don't like gilding metal bullets. All the pics I've seen of them taken from game animals sure look impressive. Weight retention is supposedly 95%, but I keep seeing accuracy complaints.

Actually the mono metal Barnes all copper are tougher to get to shoot well in some guns. I think why Nolser decided to use gilding metal. As noted, they are long for caliber & at least w/ the Barnes, the do like a little jump to the rifling, perfect for a longer throated rig. I tend to like compressed loads fo slower powder, seems to get better accuracy & higher vel. So I would try the RL22 & see how she runs. Use a drop tube to get the powder better compacted before seating a bullet. I would prefer a 165gr monometal in the 06, but you have what you have.

Zombie Steve
01-04-2012, 01:12
I appreciate it fellas. The rifle is a 700 with a 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. No problem loading off the lands - there's a ton of freebore in both my 700's.

I used a drop tube for the RE-22 and Speer Mag-Tips and it seemed to help compact the powder charge. I'll definitely try it with these.

Wanna trade Fred? Anyone else in Cali?

ColoCG
01-04-2012, 11:01
Hey Zombie, I haven't had any experience with the E-tip but IMR-4350 has always worked good for me in 30-06.

I haven't tried RL-22 in 06 but I know it works good .300 Win mag.

If those bullets don't work out for you, you may want to try 180gr. Nosler Accubond bullets.

I get super accuracy with them in 30-06, and .300Win mag., also great performance on Elk. and cheaper than partitions.
They also work great in the .270Win with 140gr. bullets.

Zombie Steve
01-04-2012, 12:47
I've been looking at Accubonds. They look really nice, but they're pricey too.

Oh well, I'll load up some of these e-tips and see what happens. I think I'm going to try the 4350 for two reasons... I've never used it / curiosity, and thinking back to how compressed the RE-22 was with shorter bullets. I too like slightly compressed loads in rifle rounds, but I think with this bullet it's going to be really smashed down there.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

fredj338
01-04-2012, 13:20
I appreciate it fellas. The rifle is a 700 with a 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. No problem loading off the lands - there's a ton of freebore in both my 700's.

I used a drop tube for the RE-22 and Speer Mag-Tips and it seemed to help compact the powder charge. I'll definitely try it with these.

Wanna trade Fred? Anyone else in Cali?
I would gladly Steve, but the only 06 I have left is a M1. I do have some Barnes for my 338-06 & was looking at some of the Nosler E-tips for my 280. I would think they will be easier to get good accuracy with over the Barnes all copper, but every rifle is diff. My Ruger #1 in 338x74K has a really long throat & loves the Barnes in any wt. So when do I show up for elk season?:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
01-05-2012, 11:31
So when do I show up for elk season?

May 7th... come for my 40th b-day party, stay for the elk.

fredj338
01-05-2012, 12:47
May 7th... come for my 40th b-day party, stay for the elk.
Well I am trying to get out there the end of June for the CO IDPA state match & if you & Jack are willing, a visit for the day. I would gladly drive back in Nov for elk.:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
03-23-2012, 17:40
A couple updates if anyone's interested...

I did try the 4350 and only loaded up to 53 grains (again, Nosler suggested that you subtract 2 grains from their published max for these long bullets). Good accuracy, but 53 grains (surprisingly not compressed) only got me up to 2,450 fps with a 22" barrel. I'm going to load them up some more and try to get them over the 2,600 mark. Hopefully, they shoot just as well. If they shoot well at or above 2,600, they're going with me this fall.

They are starting to crunch the powder as I got up to 55 grains. :supergrin:

One last note - these things absolutely cake my barrel with copper fouling. That's really, REALLY annoying.

ETA: Crap... this reminds me. I have to put in for my tag in the next couple days...

WiskyT
03-23-2012, 18:43

I did try the 4350 and only loaded up to 53 grains (again, Nosler suggested that you subtract 2 grains from their published max for these long bullets). Good accuracy, but 53 grains (surprisingly not compressed) only got me up to 2,450 fps with a 22" barrel. I'm going to load them up some more and try to get them over the 2,600 mark. Hopefully, they shoot just as well. If they shoot well at or above 2,600, they're going with me this fall.

They are starting to crunch the powder as I got up to 55 grains. :supergrin:

One last note - these things absolutely cake my barrel with copper fouling. That's really, REALLY annoying.

ETA: Crap... this reminds me. I have to put in for my tag in the next couple days...

A 10% increase in powder yields roughly 8% increase in velocity and 20% more pressure. These are just guidelines of course, but they make 2,600 fps seem unlikely.

PhantomF4E
03-23-2012, 19:03
I'm a huge fan of 4350 , especially in the heavier bullets. Although I put together a backed off 125 grain sierra game king that shot moa at 100 yards or less. Pretty much crap for 150+ but I designed the round for less than 100 so it worked fine. There may have been a better choice for the lightweight round but I'm always trying to make it work.... The 168 grain and up .308 bullet and 4350 are a match made in heaven.... Let us know how it works out. I've been meaning to give the lead free stuff a go .... Just in case the EPA gets its way ya know .....

Zombie Steve
03-23-2012, 19:06
I loaded rounds up to 56 grains, which is max for a 180 in Lyman (their accuracy load for 180's). I doubt I'll shoot them that far up, but I want to take care of this in one range session. I'd rather not have to make it another two trips. If I'm not seeing speed increases, or getting any pressure signs, I'll pull the rest.

I'm getting 2,600 with the mag tips and RE-22 only going half way into Speer's data... just happened to be the most accurate.

Really only one way to find out.

ColoCG
03-24-2012, 09:02

The copper fouling was why I quit using the original Barnes X- Bullets they fouled like crazy. I found that Wipe Out foam was about the easiest cleaner to remove the copper fouling, but it still took many passes thru the barrel.

Good Luck.

dougader
03-24-2012, 16:49
I use 55 to 56 grains 4350 using 180 grain lead core bullets, and that's the listed max. I'd be careful pushing all copper 200 grain bullets with 56 grains of 4350.

Zombie Steve
04-28-2012, 13:52
Well, to finish off this thread, I'll check in one more time with results - I found a great load at 54 grains of IMR4350:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/IMG-20120428-00475.jpg

I didn't shoot all the way up to 56 grains. I tried a few groups a little over 54 grains, but the groups opened up quite a bit. This group was going 2,540 from my 22" barrel. I suppose I'm willing to sacrifice 60 fps for a bullet that will hold together better than the Mag-Tips. Should fly better too. Only have a few left, and they're meant for elk. Now if only I could draw that damn tag. Why do they take so long?

ColoCG
04-28-2012, 14:31
Very good group Zombie! Those plastic tips really go thru that paper smoothly don't they? Much better than a pencil. :whistling:

Zombie Steve
04-29-2012, 08:58
That sounds like a challenge. Rifle match on the western slope!!!! Loser buys beer!

ColoCG
04-29-2012, 09:13
See what happens when you try to compliment a guy on his great target with it's nice clean holes. By the way I prefer "Dos Equis". And why do we have to go out west? :tongueout:

Zombie Steve
04-29-2012, 09:52
Thought you were out by Durango and accusing me of poking holes in paper with a pencil.

:tbo:

ColoCG
04-29-2012, 10:05
I would never accuse you of any thing like that, I thought you used the bullet tips. :whistling: Looks like an Elk killer to me.
And I'm north 60 mi. N of Denver.

Zombie Steve
04-29-2012, 14:19
Ain't that Wyomin'? :supergrin:

Mayhap we should have breakfast next time I head up Montana Way...