327 Federal Magnum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 327 Federal Magnum

firefighter4215
01-03-2012, 18:53
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 327 Federal Magnum in a snub revolver. I was considering getting a S&W Bodyguard 380 for my wife. Bud's has Taurus 327 snubs for $259 though. Thinking thw revolver may be a better option for purse carry. How is the recoil with these guns? I also thought I could load it with 32 H&R mag ammo to have less recoil. Thoughts?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RedHaze
01-03-2012, 20:00
My wife has her eyes on Ruger's SP101 in .327. So I'd like to hear some firsthand thoughts as well.

Velocity Figures (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html) are nothing to sneeze at either. Just over 1400fps with a 100gr JSP.

ColdSteelNail
01-03-2012, 20:00
I own a SP101 in 327 mag. I can tell you it is a hot load with a pretty harsh recoil. My wife hates to shoot mine. I think it's great self defense or hunting ammo but after about 50 rounds I've had enough. It's a very accurate and flat shooting round.

Tiro Fijo
01-03-2012, 20:06
I don't claim to be an authority on women, other than the international jetsetting Playboy that I am, but most women are better served with a small .38 Special with good ammo and off the top of my head there is none better than the Ruger LCR. No hammers to fiddle with. Sleek, simple & light.

ColdSteelNail
01-03-2012, 20:10
I don't claim to be an authority on women, other than the international jetsetting Playboy that I am, but most women are better served with a small .38 Special with good ammo and off the top of my head there is none better than the Ruger LCR. No hammers to fiddle with. Sleek, simple & light.
I agree. While my hates my SP101 327 mag she lover my (her) LCR 38.

RedHaze
01-03-2012, 21:07
According to my wife, the LCR is ugly. And she requires a "pretty" one. :whistling:

unit1069
01-04-2012, 05:57
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 327 Federal Magnum in a snub revolver. I was considering getting a S&W Bodyguard 380 for my wife. Bud's has Taurus 327 snubs for $259 though. Thinking thw revolver may be a better option for purse carry. How is the recoil with these guns? I also thought I could load it with 32 H&R mag ammo to have less recoil. Thoughts?

I think .327 Magnum is an interesting round, but when I started seriously digging into information what I learned gives me pause, only because of my particular situation.

It has around the equivalent power as 9mm, with more expensive and harder-to-find ammunition than 9mm. I decided that if I do buy a Ruger SP-101 with a 3" barrel (a very fine revolver) I may just as well have it a .357 Magnum with .38 Special and .38 Special +P capability.

A semi-auto in .327 Magnum would be interesting also, but then there's the problem of the long cartridge and it would probably end up being like the .357 Magnum semi-autos --- too heavy and bulky to provide any meaningful advantage over existing semi-auto calibers that already exist.

Still, the Ruger/.327 Magnum is very interesting and if I decided I wasn't going to shoot it much but keep it handy for certain situations I'd definitely give it a second look.

Bilbo Bagins
01-04-2012, 08:50
I went around the mulberry bush with .32H&R and .327 mag for the wife.

I'm not sure of the stats on the Taurus, but if its sub 20oz the recoil will SUCK BAD when shooting .327 rounds. You will wind up using .32H&R anyway. My wife shot a friends S&W .32H&R which weigh a scant 12oz and she HATED the recoil. Ammo is a PITA to find, and it seems odd that Taurus is selling their .327 revolver at a discount and Charter Arms isn't even listing their .327 patriot revolver on their website anymore.

Any savings you make on this cheap Taurus .327 gun you will lose in ammo cost, and you might eventually be stuck with an obsolete gun in 10 years.

I would just get a heavy steel .357 or .38 revolver like the SP101 or the S&W60 and then get some low recoiling .38 ammo. If that is still too much recoil for her, look into a .22mag revolver.

firefighter4215
01-04-2012, 10:43
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I was even considering it is because I reload. That negates the cost of practice ammo. I only have experience with the .32 S&W Long cartridge as far as 32's go. Since it has practically no recoil, I was curious about the H&R magnum cartridge. I'll have to continue thinking about it. I wonder how the recoil is for the reduced recoil 38 special loads?

dugo
01-04-2012, 21:54
(Edit: Looking back at this, it's longer than I meant it to be, but I hope there is something useful here.)

I have the sp101 in .327. Starting from the light side, .32 longs are cream puffs, recoil-wise, even in an airweight -- but you wouldn't consider them for SD if you don't have to, and they're not cheap. (Watch out for leading in the cylinders, too -- not a big problem, but a definite nuisance if it is left to build up.)

Standard Fed Personal Defense 85g .32 H&R rounds are comparatively easy to shoot, even in a very light revolver. The same rounds in the sp101 are cotton candy. These are starting to be viable as SD rounds. (c. $16 for 20 rounds)

The next step up the power ladder is Buffalo Bore's .32 H&R 100g JHP, advertised at 1300fps. These are the hottest factory .32 H&R's I've shot, and they make an airweight pop pretty sharply, but even at that they do not seem harder to control than a .38 in a comparable gun. In the sp101, they are easily controllable; to me, easier than a +p .38. These higher pressure .32's should be fairly effective SD rounds. There are some other new, hot-loaded .32 H&R's out there, too. These seem to be a good compromise between the old low power .32's and the stouter recoil of the .327. (These warn you not to use them in the old H&R revolvers, by the way.)

Next up is an 85 grain, low recoil Hydro-Shok round in .327. These are also a viable compromise. A lighter bullet, but (IIRC) with more velocity than the Buffalo Bore .32, this feels fairly comparable to the Buf Bore in the sp101. THe Hydro-shok is a reduced pressure round, running at c. 35,000 psi (the full house .327's run at around 45,000.) At these velocities (including the Buf Bore, above), folks are apparently getting good penetration and expansion, and the recoil is still not all that much of an issue. (IIRC, price is about the same as .38 hydroShok, ... I think.)

There are also American Eagle 100gr soft points in .327, which are cheaper, and might be good practice rounds. Haven't shot these, but I have the impression these are a little hot, too. (About $27 for 50 rounds.)

115 grain Gold Dots are the heaviest .327's I've seen. Haven't shot these, either, but you are not talking about easy recoil or blast anymore when you get to these. I can't remember, but I think these might juice along at maybe 1400 or 1450 fps or so. Not sure. Still, they are not going to throw as much recoil and blast as a .357, and you really are getting into some more substancial power with these. I have also seen some 110 grain Gold Dots advertised, but have not seen them; might be good "full power/compromise" rounds.

While the advertised velocities of many rounds is determined in 4 inch or longer barrels, most of the .327's velocities were determined from a 3" bbl. We're apparently talking about a real 1350 to 1500 fps from the sp101. The Buf Bore .32, and some of the other new hot .32's, also list good velocities from 2 or 3 inch bbl's.

Combined with a bullet that will hold together when it hits at those higher speeds, as I mentioned above, you apparently get some surprisingly good penetration and expansion from the hot Buffalo Bore .32 H&R's or any of the .327's. One article compared the full power .327 to a 9mm 115 grain +p+ -- not the standard 9mm. At any rate, whether that's realistic or not, they are smokers.

My interest in the .32 H&R and .327 was initially for my wife, who is somewhat recoil sensitive. She doesn't like a light weight .38, and is not all that happy shooting an sp101 with standard .38's. She likes to shoot the sp101 with Fed .32 H&R rounds, and can handle the hotter rounds if she needs to. She favors a S&W airweight .32 H&R for its lighter recoil with the Fed PD .85 grain round, compared to a similar light-weight with standard .38's, and can also handle it, though not happily, with the hot Buffalo Bore rounds.

firefighter4215
01-05-2012, 04:29
Wow. That WAS a long reply. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I was thinking pretty much everything you typed when I started this thread. I reload 32 long, so cost is not an issue. Also, the Taurus revolvers I mentioned were stainless. Bud's lists blued versions for $239 I think, if anyone is interested. I like a concealed hammer for ccw though, and one of the stainless ones was so equipped.

dugo
01-05-2012, 10:39
Well, I think those Taurus's sound like a sceaming deal to me, as long as the ammo stays convenient enough to get. ('Course, as a reloader, you have an advantage, there. I think your .32 dies might work on the .327, also, yes?)

Also agree, as someone else said, that the LCR could be a good option for a light-weight, esp. w/ .38's through the .357 version.
Finer trigger, too. Critical Defense (? ... uh, the one with the soft rubber insert in the HP tip...) has a light, low recoil standard pressure .38 that is almost like a wadcutter to shoot. I think it's 110 grain bullet. ... Wife prefers those.

Bet you won't see many LCR's for those taurus prices, though. ...Hmmm.....

roknjs
01-09-2012, 19:29
I have the SP 101 in .327 and I love it. I don't think it's all that bad. I haven't shot any of the Buffalo Bore stuff, but the gold dots are smokin'.

I'm getting ready to send mine to Gemini Customs to have some custom work done then it will be one of my main carry guns.

Roughedgekid
01-10-2012, 17:17
I got one for my wife but I down load the round by 10% so it dont jump out of her hand. Put Crimson Trace grips on it and she can knock the center out of the target.

Glolt20-91
01-11-2012, 11:31
I've only tested 115gr Gold Dots from a snub Taurus platform. Gunblast has given the caliber a heads up and so do I, it brings a load and those GDs are simply wicked.

Do a word search for the furniture penetration thread and you'll see the 115gr data, including calculated soft tissue penetration.

Some may find the recoil from a snub to be a little harsh, but I don't think it's any more than lightweight 38s that are pushed a bit.

I believe the Ruger Blackhawk is offered in 327mag for those who are into varmint/predator hunting.

SJ 40
01-11-2012, 11:38
According to my wife, the LCR is ugly. And she requires a "pretty" one. :whistling:My Glock is ugly except when I'm caring it it's Beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. SJ 40

dougader
01-19-2012, 23:22
I've only tested 115gr Gold Dots from a snub Taurus platform. Gunblast has given the caliber a heads up and so do I, it brings a load and those GDs are simply wicked.

Do a word search for the furniture penetration thread and you'll see the 115gr data, including calculated soft tissue penetration.

Some may find the recoil from a snub to be a little harsh, but I don't think it's any more than lightweight 38s that are pushed a bit.

I believe the Ruger Blackhawk is offered in 327mag for those who are into varmint/predator hunting.

This. :wavey: I honestly think the recoil of 38 Special +P is worse in a steel, or LW, snub nose revolver than the full throttle 327 Fed rounds.

I have a 3" SP101. Six shots. Not five. And those 115 grain gold dots make an honest 1315 fps over my chrony (that's 442 fpe). And they penetrate like the dickens and don't break up, either. The 100 grain jsp rounds read 1410 fps from my 3" SP101 (441 fpe), and they hold together well too.

I reload. Buy 1,000 pieces of 32 mag brass from Starline and some cast bullets. 3.5 grains of WW231 gets you a soft-shooting practice round @ 845 fps. Up that to 4.2 grains 231 for about 1000 fps. Or pick up some Hornady 100 grain xtp's and push them out with 11.8 grains of WW296/H110 (max load by Brian Pearce in Handloader magazine, No. 270, Feb 2011).

I won't bad-mouth the 357 mag. Everyone needs to have at least one. I have 2, both are old model Ruger Blackhawks. I dislike the recoil of a 357 mag in a snubby 5-shot revolver. Some people load 38 +P's in their 357 mag snub guns. Why?

In a snub carry gun I have a S&W 431PD (32 H&R mag) in a Desantis pocket holster while the 327 Fed rides in the glove box of the car, or in my coat pocket after I park. Call me paranoid - or very well prepared - but a G26 usually rides strong side at the same time in a belt-slide OWB or a IWB "tuck" holster. In the winter, it's a G21 under the cold weather parka.

Look at the numbers on the 327 Federal from a snub nose revolver. It makes any 38 special look anemic. Over the chrony, 357 mag loads from a 3" gun don't run 125's @ 1450. Its more like 1250 fps for 434 fpe (see American Rifleman, April 2008, p.45).

The 327 Federal will dry up and blow away just like the 10mm. Never. Its a great round, whether you use it for SD, small game hunting or just blasting water jugs. :cool: