Why are vent ribs not more common on fighting shotguns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why are vent ribs not more common on fighting shotguns?

my762buzz
01-05-2012, 00:21
Would a vent rib work or not work for you on a fighting shotgun?

method
01-05-2012, 00:46

I'll say not work for you. For a bird/bunny gun, they're nice. They give you a nice long flat sight plane that works especially well for aiming while swinging the gun. A vented rib also helps reduce miraging over the barrel which can interfere with aim, but being as a fighting shotgun is mostly an indoor/night time tool, not really something necessary.

They're pretty, but I don't think very functional on a fighting shotgun.

collim1
01-05-2012, 06:37
I really like a two bead vent rib on a hunting shotgun. They are fast and accurate. I guess the main reason they are not as common is the close range expected for a combat shotgun.

HexHead
01-05-2012, 07:01
Just something to break off under rough conditions.

CAcop
01-05-2012, 11:11
What they said plus added expense. If you are making something that is going to be banged around a squad car or carried in a combat zone do you really need to spend money on a rib?

ScrappyDoo
01-05-2012, 11:54
Yeah I don't really dig it.

I had the 24" SteadyGrip fiber-optic-tube sight Benelli Supernova 'tactical' turkey gun... and it had a 24" vented rib barrel . Now I would imagine, if you hunt turkeys that this gun would be your absolute dream. Absolutey a sexay silkysmoove shotgun. Just wasn't the tactical model I wanted and also I did not like the vented rib.

Not something that I absolutely could not live with, but for ME PERSONALLY, not a feature I seek out.

fiasconva
01-05-2012, 15:41
Weapons are usually bought in bulk by purchasing dept's and not the actual users. Plain barrels are less expensive.

aippi
01-05-2012, 16:47
Only because buyers don't get it. The VT barrels give you a pefect sighting plane for quick shots close up shots. They are good enough to hit a quail in flight but not good enough to hit a man size target?????????? Hell yes they are.

Because these barrels are associated with sporting use, people want something else. The Tacti-fool crowd wants 21" big screen TV's mounted to the top of their weapon or the go the other way and want a peep sight. If they would stop and think they would realize that the Vent Rib barrel and the sight plane it offers is all they need, they would be converted. Of course custom gun builders would make less money with all these tacti-fool rails and optics they would be getting paid to put on these weapons.

Watch these Sporting Clay shooters. Best shotguns out there. Wouldn't want to go against one of them in a fight, yet many of their weapons have a VT barrel.

raven11
01-05-2012, 17:08
my 28in skeet shotgun has it but i've never seen a dedicated 18in have one

K.Kiser
01-05-2012, 17:54
I'll say not work for you. For a bird/bunny gun, they're nice. They give you a nice long flat sight plane that works especially well for aiming while swinging the gun. A vented rib also helps reduce miraging over the barrel which can interfere with aim, but being as a fighting shotgun is mostly an indoor/night time tool, not really something necessary.

They're pretty, but I don't think very functional on a fighting shotgun.

^^^ This is the reason.. Also during a blasting session the barrel will heat up an cause some sight picture distortion that is helped by a vent rib... A vent rib offers zero benefit in a gun fight/ defensive situation, especially if the user is very familiar with how their long gun comes to the shoulder and how to bring a quick sight picture...

Big Bird
01-05-2012, 19:12
The advantage that a vented rib provides a shotgunner is it raises the sighting plane off the barrel and provides for a larger field of view (read faster target acquisition) particularly when you are shooting targets that are rising from beneath the barrel as in trap or when shooting a quail. Its of dubious value to a tactical shotgun because you typically do not engage small, fast-moving, rising targets. If you look at some of the newer dedicated sporting clays and trap guns you will see vent ribs that rise significantly above the barrel to allow for the fastest possible target acquisition with the barrel almost completely out of the way.

Vent ribs also have the benefit of reducing mirage off the barrel on a hot day. But on a tactical shotgun shooting it until the barrel gets so hot that mirage distorts the shooters view of the target is dubious. If you compete in 3 gun or the like it may be useful.

Sighting plane? Eh....not if you shoot a shotgun like it supposed to be shot AND it fits you. But it doesn't hurt in that regard and can help you get the gun mounted in a consistently repeatable position which is critical to good scattergunning. I simply can't recall shooting any shotgun in the last 20 years and thinking to myself...gee if only it had a better sighting plane.

HexHead
01-05-2012, 19:28
One more thing, they'd look silly on top of the heat shield.

my762buzz
01-05-2012, 19:53
Maybe the Russians are the odd ducks with the ventribs on certain fighting shotguns. Example: Saiga 12k fighting guns?

http://izhevsk.club.guns.ru/images/fotog/3.jpg

ScrappyDoo
01-06-2012, 01:15
It boggles my mind how certain people can grt so upset when people like or dislike something they don't concur with. And accuse others of spewing nonsense when I can practically recite your positions and opniinons from memory because you put it out there constantly without modificaton for all to see about every. Why does it bother you so much people like things other than your opinion of wit things should look like ?

my762buzz
01-06-2012, 02:50
It boggles my mind how certain people can grt so upset when people like or dislike something they don't concur with. And accuse others of spewing nonsense when I can practically recite your positions and opniinons from memory because you put it out there constantly without modificaton for all to see about every. Why does it bother you so much people like things other than your opinion of wit things should look like ?

The vent rib choice doesn't bother me at all. I got several 870s with and without vent ribs. I can go either way. I am curious as to why they arn't more popular.
The comment about Saiga12K is just because I find it odd that those even have vent ribs when so many fighting shotguns do not. Beyond that, if my strong opinions about weapon choices or any specifics seem like they are rigid and unbending, it has to do with much personal evaluation and final conclusion.
Besides, there is nothing wrong with some debating of ideas on a gun board provided there is a real basis for the debate. There have been clashing ideas for a long time during man's history. Is it really a bad thing to have a strong opinion about something?

For example, I don't trust bird shot for a defensive load. Am I wrong? Maybe or maybe not. I am open minded to be convinced otherwise with some decent proof.
Does it bother me that some use birdshot or suggest to use it? No
A good debate should lay out all the specific arguments and the supporting material to each argument. People should be able to draw their own personal conclusions.

I think we can all have different opinions about weapons and ideas in general and still get along. I might disagree with some of my close friends about politics, gun control, etc and either they tell me or I tell them they are full of ...... and among men it is no big deal. Anyway, sorry if some of my strong opinions ruffled your feathers.

gsp174
01-06-2012, 07:52
I like the vent rib for my bird guns. I have a SxS that I shoot best because of the wide plane of the 2 barrels and the rib. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Is durability an issue? Maybe but you have to look at all these old bird guns with 28" of rib and all banged up but not broken. They have gotten more hard use that many of these HD safe guns. Except for the police guns, the trunk of a car can be a hard place to live.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

byf43
01-06-2012, 09:25

I prefer a vent-rib barrel on my hunting and Trap shotguns, so, why not have one on a 'fighting' shotgun???

My 1100 Competition Master Clone has a 22" barrel w/ vent rib.
My beloved 1100 Magnum has a 24" Hastings barrel w/ vent rib. (2-3/4" chamber.)
These shotguns have a 'less than normally used' barrels, but, they suit me just fine.
Granted, these are semi-auto shotguns.
The only 'shorter' vent-rib 870 barrel that I have, is on the 870 Youth, that my son shoots. It's 21" long.

All of my 'fighting' shotguns (Remington 870) don't have vent-ribs, but, I wouldn't object to it.
I've even thought about taking one barrel I have (26" Remchoke barrel) and having it cut to 18-1/2" and re-installing choke-tubes.

Why????
Because I can. . . . . .:supergrin:

BTW. . . last Sunday, I used that 1100 w/Hastings barrel in some informal Trap shooting.
Shot 3 rounds. Shot a 23; a 21; and a 24.
:thumbsup:
And everyone says that the 24" barrel is too short to shoot Trap. :)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/1983Rem1100Magnum.jpg

Big Bird
01-06-2012, 12:40
Maybe the Russians are the odd ducks with the ventribs on certain fighting shotguns. Example: Saiga 12k fighting guns?

http://izhevsk.club.guns.ru/images/fotog/3.jpg

That looks more like open sights as opposed to a vent rib. But I could be wrong.

ScrappyDoo
01-06-2012, 13:26
762 LEMMe send you a PM to apologize I was not referring to you in the leasd rbro

22highcaps
01-06-2012, 13:50
If someone would make a factory 18.5" vent rib IC barrel for the 870 I would be all over it. I love the look.

I will be getting a VR barrel to cut down for a project gun but I hesitate to put such a thing on my HD due to the "OMG, sawed off shot gun argument".

amd65
01-06-2012, 14:20
I have an OEM 20" vent rib barrel for my Mossberg 500, and it makes for a nice handling shotgun.

aippi
01-06-2012, 14:22
I have refered dozens of guys to Steve Rose of Rose Action Sports to cut down their vent rib barrels and thread them. I then rebuild the weapon for them. Test firing these weapon with that VT barrel at 18.5" proves to me this is a very fast sight system for an HD. Add the Tritium bead sight and you have a great fighting barrel.

And Remington makes this barrel for the 20ga in 18.75" and I use a lot of them on my weapons and test fire those also.

Remington does make a 21" VT in 12ga that comes with an extended Turkey Choke. I have used these for customers wanting a three gun shotgun and simply send it to them with a Modified choke tube.

Buffering
01-06-2012, 15:32
And Remington makes this barrel for the 20ga in 18.75" and I use a lot of them on my weapons and test fire those also.

Is that barrel the one that comes with the choke tubes? Or do they make a plain bead barrel in that length? The reason I'm asking is that the Rem Express Compact Jr. comes with a short barrel with replaceable chokes.

If you are using the choked barrel on your builds, have there been issues with chokes over time aka soft versus hard steel?

aippi
01-06-2012, 18:14
Buff - They only make it with Rem Choke, only draw back. They make it as 18.75" and 21". Unlike the standard bead sight barrels that have a pressed in bead, these are threaded so I can install the Meprolight Trit bead on them. Makes a nasty little 20ga HD.

Wish Remington would make an 18.5" VT for the 12ga.

Javelin
01-06-2012, 18:15
Cost.

RVER
01-07-2012, 12:14
Cost.

Cost again.

Jack Black
01-07-2012, 16:09
I thought this was interesting and unusual. In this video from Gunsite, his shotgun has both a vent rib and a ghost ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Gh6jDvGFY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

aippi
01-07-2012, 16:11
O Hardly think cost is an issue as a VT barrel with a bead would be cheaper then Most all GR sights.

Jamesey
01-07-2012, 18:54
Type "Mossberg 500" on YouTube and watch Hickok 45 demonstrate a "sawed off" vent rib AND a birds head pistol grip. I'm inspired to get one myself. (Sorry, I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to link to it)

my762buzz
01-07-2012, 19:13
Type "Mossberg 500" on YouTube and watch Hickok 45 demonstrate a "sawed off" vent rib AND a birds head pistol grip. I'm inspired to get one myself. (Sorry, I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to link to it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4

RVER
01-07-2012, 21:46
I have a Hogue Tamer grip on a Mossberg 500 that with Remington "Managed Recoil" 00 buck and slugs is very controllable and accurate. PGO shotguns can be shot very accurately however it takes training and practice. I won't shoot them with full power rounds.

fkizdi
01-08-2012, 12:48

+1million

Buffering
02-28-2012, 22:55
Buff - They only make it with Rem Choke, only draw back. They make it as 18.75" and 21". Unlike the standard bead sight barrels that have a pressed in bead, these are threaded so I can install the Meprolight Trit bead on them. Makes a nasty little 20ga HD.

Wish Remington would make an 18.5" VT for the 12ga.

Sorry for the gravedig however if the drawback to the 20 gauge barrel is the screw in choke, do you find a lot of build requests for a 20 gauge using the barrel from model 81100? For the unwashed masses, this is a currently produced 20 gauge 18.5" fixed choke barrel. It's the 20 gauge version of 25077. I donr ever recall seeing a 81100 at the range. Seems to be a decent basic starter HD gun.