cor-bon 357 sig load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : cor-bon 357 sig load

1canvas
01-05-2012, 10:57
i was looking at the corbon 125grn ballistics at 1425fps from a 4'' barrel, that pretty much duplicates the .357 magnum round. does anyone know what bullet they are useing?

dkf
01-05-2012, 11:07
I'm pretty sure they are still using a traditional "old school" JHP which they may even produce in house. Expect some fragmentation of the bullet as well. Yeah basically an old school fragnasty 125gr .357mag replica in .357sig.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page647.htm

Goodspeed(TPF)
01-05-2012, 11:09
Sierra Power Jacket. It's good to go.

1canvas
01-05-2012, 11:57
i just wonder why this load is not more popular. most posts i have read on this round talks about Gold Dot, HST, or Ranger.

cowboy1964
01-05-2012, 12:08
i just wonder why this load is not more popular. most posts i have read on this round talks about Gold Dot, HST, or Ranger.

Cost and street cred.

dpadams6
01-05-2012, 15:55

Because everyone nowadays want something that holds together. Some say that fragmentation was great back in the day, but holding together with deeper penetration is the ticket now. However, back in the day with that 357 mag 125 that fragmented nasty, it had one heck of a reputation that some say approached 96 % one shot stops. I'm a little confused at how some say that todays ammo that holds together is better than that. How in the world can you do much better than 96%.?

dkf
01-05-2012, 16:12

If it would come in 50 round boxes for under $35 I would buy some. I'm not paying over $1 a round when I can get ammo just as good or better for far less $$$ per round.

ABNAK
01-05-2012, 18:31
Cor Bon is indeed making their own bullets due to a supposed difficulty in getting Sierra's. It is a traditional cup-and-core bullet *similar* to the Sierras. I have some of these loads but haven't chrono'd them yet. However, I do have some of the Sierra loads they used to use and they clock at ~ 1400fps from a Glock 23 with a Storm Lake drop-in barrel.

Yeah, these days it's all about holding together. I do believe, however, that there is indeed something of value with fragmentation at ~1400fps. It was a reliable old-school load so why not?

1canvas
01-05-2012, 19:10
If it would come in 50 round boxes for under $35 I would buy some. I'm not paying over $1 a round when I can get ammo just as good or better for far less $$$ per round.

well i have no issues at $1 a round for defense loads that may stop someone as quick as the old 125grn .357 mag load use to. i do carry HSTs and GD now and i'm o.k. with those. the corbon load was just a thought when i read the ballistics. if they are not using Sierrra bullets i would not concider them, i wouldn't have confidence in their in house made bullets. i use to use to load Sierra bullets for years for handgun hunting and had a lot of confidence in them.

dkf
01-05-2012, 21:17
I have a couple pulled 125gr HST bullets. Once I get a chrono I want to load some up to get at least 1450fps out of my G32. I'm interested to see how they hold together.

CDW4ME
01-06-2012, 04:30
I chronographed the Cor-Bon out of my 32 sometime in the past.
Average for 5 shots was 1,380 fps / 528# KE; it was the hottest load I shot.
Gold Dot averaged 1,334 fps from the same pistol.

unit1069
01-07-2012, 08:24
I'm in the camp that doesn't want to pay $1/round when other proven .357sig premium self-defense JHP ammos are available at half the cost per round. Like Gold Dot, for example.

AWESOMO 4000
01-07-2012, 10:43
This is my favorite .357SIG load for the fact that it most closely approaches the original formula for the .357SIG - the .357 Magnum 125gr load out of a 4" barrel. It is match grade accurate in my P229R - then again, so is anything from WW White Box, Lawman, or Georgia Arms FMJ.

I have a box that I bought back in 2009 that uses the Sierra bullet. The current box I bought a month ago has a much wider more open hollowpoint that I believe to be their own design - kind of similar to the "flying ashtray" .45 design I guess is the best way to explain it. Haven't fired any yet, it's 20 degrees out.

One thing I like about the CorBon loads, they have noticeably more pop than the other popular new fangled super bonded, best thing ever loads. Nothing objectionable at all -- just kind of like comparing a +P 9mm to regular 9mm. If the gun is a bit crudded up with mud, blood, or something else, a little extra slide velocity isn't going to hurt.

Out of my G33 the Gold Dot did 1330, HST did 1280, Ranger T did 1300. Testing all four, the 125gr CorBon JHP expanded the widest, seemed to penetrate just as far as the GoldDot if not a bit more. It fragged a little bit, but whatever, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

For the .357SIG, the 125gr CorBon and Gold Dot are the way to go; can't go wrong with either one. From there I'd say Ranger T, then HST. HST has a good ball profile making it even more feed friendly with it's bottle neck design. Really any of the top 125gr .357SIG loads are great -- just have a slight preference for the CB loads.

cowboy1964
01-07-2012, 14:19
If a round frags "a little" what's to stop it from fragging "a lot"?

dpadams6
01-07-2012, 16:51
This is my favorite .357SIG load for the fact that it most closely approaches the original formula for the .357SIG - the .357 Magnum 125gr load out of a 4" barrel. It is match grade accurate in my P229R - then again, so is anything from WW White Box, Lawman, or Georgia Arms FMJ.

I have a box that I bought back in 2009 that uses the Sierra bullet. The current box I bought a month ago has a much wider more open hollowpoint that I believe to be their own design - kind of similar to the "flying ashtray" .45 design I guess is the best way to explain it. Haven't fired any yet, it's 20 degrees out.

One thing I like about the CorBon loads, they have noticeably more pop than the other popular new fangled super bonded, best thing ever loads. Nothing objectionable at all -- just kind of like comparing a +P 9mm to regular 9mm. If the gun is a bit crudded up with mud, blood, or something else, a little extra slide velocity isn't going to hurt.

Out of my G33 the Gold Dot did 1330, HST did 1280, Ranger T did 1300. Testing all four, the 125gr CorBon JHP expanded the widest, seemed to penetrate just as far as the GoldDot if not a bit more. It fragged a little bit, but whatever, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

For the .357SIG, the 125gr CorBon and Gold Dot are the way to go; can't go wrong with either one. From there I'd say Ranger T, then HST. HST has a good ball profile making it even more feed friendly with it's bottle neck design. Really any of the top 125gr .357SIG loads are great -- just have a slight preference for the CB loads.

you are correct about the hst's. we have the glock 31's at work and had several problems with the gold dot and a little with ranger t's getting hung up. The hst's have been flawless....

dkf
01-07-2012, 18:17
The HST chambers silky smooth in my Glocks. Too bad Federal has a halfed assed policy and I have a hard time getting it in .357sig. When you can find it the ammo is usually several years old.

AWESOMO 4000
01-08-2012, 08:03
If a round frags "a little" what's to stop it from fragging "a lot"?

Twoards the end of the tract - like 12" in after it's the size of a nickel - some lead flakes off. It went as deep if not a little deeper than Gold Dot from what I could see. HST looked like HST...the exact same, every time, no matter what you fire it into.

chewybaca67
01-08-2012, 08:56
Because everyone nowadays want something that holds together. Some say that fragmentation was great back in the day, but holding together with deeper penetration is the ticket now. However, back in the day with that 357 mag 125 that fragmented nasty, it had one heck of a reputation that some say approached 96 % one shot stops. I'm a little confused at how some say that todays ammo that holds together is better than that. How in the world can you do much better than 96%.?

That's my line of thought too.

CATATOMIC
01-08-2012, 09:08
I use to have some 125 gr Corbon form my 357 but I'm out. I have been wanting buy more. IMHO it's the best "fight stopper" in the caliber. If you want penetration get gold dots.

Coffee Dog
07-13-2012, 19:11

Sir: I have been saying exactly what your quote says!
Fragmentation made this round a legend--sooo how the
heck can ammo makers ever top a legend?
Human bodies haven't changed that drastically so
a fragmenting round to me would stop someone as well
as when this round established it's legendary status!
:wavey:

4949shooter
07-13-2012, 19:40
Sir: I have been saying exactly what your quote says!
Fragmentation made this round a legend--sooo how the
heck can ammo makers ever top a legend?
Human bodies haven't changed that drastically so
a fragmenting round to me would stop someone as well
as when this round established it's legendary status!
:wavey:

My thoughts exactly.

PghJim
07-13-2012, 20:07
I have a couple pulled 125gr HST bullets. Once I get a chrono I want to load some up to get at least 1450fps out of my G32. I'm interested to see how they hold together.

At about 1,430fps the HST still hangs mostly together, but I am talking about water jugs both with and without denim. I have not been able to get them safely over 1,430.

DT uses the Seirra 125gr bullet and it does an honest 1,500fps out of my 4.5" barrel. In water jugs it fragments with about 64% of the core going through all three jugs. It is impressive and my carry round when I do not have HST's. The HST's seem to expand the fastest, but I wish Federal would load them a bit hotter. Getting almost 1,400fps out of a 4.5" barrel.

These threads generally turn into an arguement when people say you must have bonded. I have an old thread where I compared the Remington SJHP 125gr. 357 mag out of a 6" 686 with the DT 125gr Seirra 357 sig load out of a 4.5" barrel. The performance was identical. My only problem with Corbon is that the last lot I bought would not go over 1,400fps out of the 4.5" barrel.

Adamz04
07-13-2012, 20:17
Not to derail this here but I've been curious about the Corbon DPX load in 357 sig. I know it's not as potent on paper as far as velocity and kE, but I would equate that to the copper bullet and spacing with lengths and such. Those XpB bullets are pretty slick I'd love to try some in my 32 to see how deep they penetrate but they are like 35$ for 20

PghJim
07-13-2012, 20:38
Not to derail this here but I've been curious about the Corbon DPX load in 357 sig. I know it's not as potent on paper as far as velocity and kE, but I would equate that to the copper bullet and spacing with lengths and such. Those XpB bullets are pretty slick I'd love to try some in my 32 to see how deep they penetrate but they are like 35$ for 20

The only copper bullet I carry is a 185gr 45ACP +p Buffalo Bore out of a P45 3.5" Kahr because I think it will work. They are very expensive and I have not seen one report of a shooting in any caliber. I did buy some Corbon's and they of course expanded and penetrated all three jugs, but the energy dump was not impressive. They may be the best thing, I just do not know.

dkf
07-13-2012, 20:45

Buffalo Bore has the hottest .357sig load I've seen with the 125gr Tac-XP bullet. One advantage to the mono metal bullets like the Barnes is they only expand to a certain point thus pushing them faster can yield extra penetration.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=317

A downside (along with price) is the bullets are very long for their weight. The 125gr TAC-XP bullet is around the same length as the 147gr XTP bullet. Longer bullet means it takes up extra real estate in the case and limits the amount of powder that can be safely used.

PghJim
07-13-2012, 21:00
But what happens went a person is shot by one? Does anyone know of data. Heck, I shot a rabbit with a 125gr HST and it looked like it was hit by a 22-250. I am not saying that rabbits are the standard, but it looked good enough to me.

unit1069
07-13-2012, 21:12
I don't think .357sig has to prove itself as an extremely effective LEO and civilian self-defense caliber. The Speer Gold Dot 125-grain round might be the only one with a significant documentation of street cred but I have no doubt there are several others that would fill the bill also.

The 125-grain weight very closely approximates the 125-grain .357 Magnum performance but the Magnum's heavier weight bullets provide more options for self-defense.

I'm holding out for a 140-150-grain JHP self-defense .357sig round from Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Federal, etc ... to close the weight gap. tnoutdoors ran a test on the Hornady 147-grain XTP .357sig and although it achieved 16" penetration it only expanded to a little over .50". The XTP is regarded as a penetrating JHP round that gives up expansion.

I really wonder what a Gold Dot in either the 5- or 6-petal design for .357sig would show in calibrated gel. One or two companies I've contacted have responded that they're conducting trials with the 147-grain bullet although they didn't specify what particular bullet. I think this is the next natural step in the evolution of .357sig caliber.

Nanuk
07-14-2012, 21:54

You must not have got the memo. Only jello results count. :rofl:

Coffee Dog
07-15-2012, 05:55

I 100 per cent agreed with you Nanuk! :goodpost:

PghJim
07-15-2012, 07:55

You would have to wonder where we would be in ammo development if the Silver Tip 9mm round in the FBI Miami shootout would have gone another inch. The Silver Tip did not fail, tactics and equipment did as well as how you handle a very determined murderer.

People worry more now how the target affects the bullet than how the bullet affects the target. If the target (gel) caused the bullet to hold togther, expand and penetrate it to a certain distance then it is a good stopping bullet. However, under the FBI protocol if a bullet dumps a ton of energy and completly makes the Gel disintegrate up to 11", it really does not have good stopping power.

There are still enough of us left who lived and worked during the revolver era and know what we saw. That does not make bonded bullets bad, but a 125gr 357mag/sig going over 1,400fps with a cup and core bullet was/is extremely effective.

dpadams6
07-15-2012, 12:05
You would have to wonder where we would be in ammo development if the Silver Tip 9mm round in the FBI Miami shootout would have gone another inch. The Silver Tip did not fail, tatics and equipment did as well as how you handle a very determined murderer.

People worry more now how the target affects the bullet than how the bullet affects the target. If the target (gel) caused the bullet to hold togther, expand and penetrate it to a certain distance then it is a good stopping bullet. However, under the FBI protocol if a bullet dumps a ton of energy and completly makes the Gel disintegrate up to 11", it really does not have good stopping power.

There are still enough of us left who lived and worked during the revolver era and know what we saw. That does not make bonded bullets bad, but a 125gr 357mag/sig going over 1,400fps with a cup and core bullet was/is extremely effective.

Agreed. And you have to include the 9mm Federal 115+p+.