.380 Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 Issue

dkf
01-05-2012, 13:47
I'm having issues with neck tension reloading .380. Dies are the Lee Carbide 3 die set. I'm using 90gr XTP bullets and once fired blazer brass and winchester brass.

The bullets measure .355". (measured with micrometer) After resizing I can push a bullet into the case by hand. There is some tension there but it seems to move too easy. I can crimp it in place with a decent crimp but that is something I would like to avoid.

Thoughts.

F106 Fan
01-05-2012, 14:02
Your bullet diameter is correct according to the Hornady manual. The outside diameter of the case at the mouth should be 0.3730" after assembly. I would expect the resizing die to get the case down to this diameter before the mouth is flared to seat the bullet.

Are you sure your sizing die is going all the way down to the shell plate? There is a very slight taper to a .380 case so it's important the the die go fully to the bottom of the case.

The instructions should tell you how to adjust the die but I usually put the ram all the way up, screw the die down until it touches, lower the ram and screw the die down another quarter turn. I want the ram to cam over. Maybe 1/4 turn is too much.

Dillon says to adjust their dies until they just touch the fully raised ram:
http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-Die-Instructions-May-2007.pdf

Richard

F106 Fan
01-05-2012, 14:05
BTW, how much flare are you putting in the case mouth? It only needs to be a very few thousandths - just enough to get the bullet started. Too much flare will disturb the neck diameter too far down.

These cases should be taper crimped just enough to close the mouth up to 0.3730"

At the base, the shell diameter should be 0.3739" so you can see the taper is pretty insignificant.

Richard

dkf
01-05-2012, 14:25
The sizing die is against the shell holder. The bullet can be pushed in by hand even without any flare on the case mouth. I just resized the brass and didn't flare to check the neck tension, which is not very good.

CVO
01-05-2012, 14:30
Whats the inside diameter of the case after you size it?

dkf
01-05-2012, 14:34
Outside diameter = .370"

Inside Diameter = Around .353" With the caliper set at .353" the case fits over and can be rotated over the ID jaws of the caliper without forcing. The caliper is a good stainless steel caliper.

F106 Fan
01-05-2012, 14:46
It almost sounds like the brass is too thin. Nothing that Blazer does would surprise me.

In general, the wall should be 0.010" so a 0.373" OD will have an 0.353" ID and about 0.002" compression fit onto the bullet. You are starting out with a 0.370" OD and getting down to a "loose" 0.353" ID. In fact, the ID might be even larger than 0.353" and that would result in not having as much compression on the bullet.

If the brass is thin, it might not be able to retain the compression on the bullet.

Why don't you get some decent .380, shoot it up and then try again.

Richard

F106 Fan
01-05-2012, 14:48
The sizing die only corrects the outside diameter. If the brass is thin, the ID will not be as anticipated. This is easy for a factory to accomodate but very difficult for reloaders.

Richard

Sparky26
01-05-2012, 14:53
I'm having issues with neck tension reloading .380. Dies are the Lee Carbide 3 die set. I'm using 90gr XTP bullets and once fired blazer brass and winchester brass.

Thoughts.
I had this problem with their 3 die set, so I got their .380 factory crimp die. Problem solved.
See: http://leeprecision.com/xcart/CARBIDE-FACTORY-CRIMP-DIE-380-AUTO.html

Colorado4Wheel
01-05-2012, 14:58
The outside diameter of the case at the mouth should be 0.3730" after assembly. I would expect the resizing die to get the case down to this diameter before the mouth is flared to seat the bullet.

Richard

It should be about .007-.010" smaller after sizing. It should be about .002" under saami after assembly.

Colorado4Wheel
01-05-2012, 14:59
I had this problem with their 3 die set, so I got their .380 factory crimp die. Problem solved.
See: http://leeprecision.com/xcart/CARBIDE-FACTORY-CRIMP-DIE-380-AUTO.html

That is not going to solve the sizing issue.

Colorado4Wheel
01-05-2012, 15:00
The sizing die is against the shell holder. The bullet can be pushed in by hand even without any flare on the case mouth. I just resized the brass and didn't flare to check the neck tension, which is not very good.

Call Lee and get a new sizing die.

dkf
01-05-2012, 15:09
Call Lee and get a new sizing die.

I will contact them.

I did not think it is brass related. I sized a few pieces of Hornady, Fiocchi and Speer in both nickel and brass with the same results. Most of my .380 brass is just blazer brass and winchester.

dkf
01-06-2012, 10:10
Deleted

dkf
01-06-2012, 10:21
Just got the my more accurate small hole gages and measured the ID more accurately and the smallest ID of the sizing ring is. .369". Looks like I will be calling again.

F106 Fan
01-06-2012, 10:26
The guy at Lee said the die measures within spec.(After several minutes of fumbling for specs) He said the inside diameter of the carbide sizing ring is supposed to be .367" and mine is right at .367".

That should leave the ID at around 0.347" and the bullet is 0.355" so you should have 0.008" of compression.

So, after sizing, what IS the OD of the brass? I might expect some springback but I'm not sure how much.

What is the wall thickness (vs brand)?

He told me they sell a smaller undersized sizing die that has a .364". I asked him if I can exchange my current resizing die for the "undersize" resizing die. I just got the set mid December and this is the first I'm using it. He said "we normally don't do exchanges". He said a .354" case ID after sizing is fine.

0.354" ID doesn't leave much for next tension if the bullets are 0.355"

So what do I do? Buy the undersized sizing die and spend more money on a product from a company that doesn't seem to care or just go out and buy another set from another company and hope they work or stand behind their product.

I tend to vote with my wallet. I would certainly not buy another product from them. Since I tend to buy from Dillon, I would get a die from them for about $27 plus shipping.

If the 0.367" diameter for the carbide ring is correct, I'm not entirely certain what to expect from another brand of die. Hopefully, a different die will solve the problem. It's not like you are the only person on the planet who loads .380.

Richard

dkf
01-06-2012, 10:33
I have to pay and send the die back so they can measure it and determine if I'm worthy of getting a replacement die.

He said the ID of the sizing ring is supposed to be .367". Mine is measuring measuring at .369" so I think its out of spec. I got my hole gage set for a more accurate measurement.

Looks like loading up .380 is pushed off even farther. I finally got powder (was out of stock) now this. Thats my luck.

dkf
01-06-2012, 10:39
BTW, how much flare are you putting in the case mouth? It only needs to be a very few thousandths - just enough to get the bullet started. Too much flare will disturb the neck diameter too far down.

These cases should be taper crimped just enough to close the mouth up to 0.3730"

At the base, the shell diameter should be 0.3739" so you can see the taper is pretty insignificant.

Richard

As I posted earlier I'm not doing any flaring of the case for the measurements I posted.(To rule the flare as the culprit) I'm just sizing (with the sizing die adjusted down tight to the shellholder)

I just sizing the case thats it. I can push the bullet into the case with my fingers with no flare on the case at all.

Od of the sized brass is .370" and the ID is at .354". The case wall is at .008".

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 10:51
Just got the my more accurate small hole gages and measured the ID more accurately and the smallest ID of the sizing ring is. .369". Looks like I will be calling again.

Tell them you need a warranty. Don't argue about the size . All that matters is it doesn't work. Ask for a R.A. #. It's out of spec simply because it doesn't work.

dkf
01-06-2012, 11:03
Tell them you need a warranty. Don't argue about the size . All that matters is it doesn't work. Ask for a R.A. #. It's out of spec simply because it doesn't work.

I should have. I already agreed I would send the die back.

Peter didn't seem too concerned nor very knowledgeable on the subject. Everything had to be looked up in books.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 11:23
So I just sized 4 cases using some mixed brass. Blazer and Win. Win sized to .369 OD, Blazer sized to .368. You may not know but I have measured a lot of sizing die ID rings. Long story. But I know from past experience with 9mm and 10mm that the sizing ring needs to be at least .003" smaller then your desired/target O.D. So if mine is sizing blazer brass to .368 my sizing ring is about .365" I have to take the primer punch out to measure it and I just don't want to hassle with that. The other thing I found is Lee normally set it's sizing dies up about .010" smaller then the SAMMI max size. I did not look it up but from what other posted that would make Lee's target ID sizing ring about .363". The .380 is a pretty small case so I ma not surprised to see mine be just a little bit bigger then that .010" number. You don't want to work a small case as much. But .363 and my .365" guess (because of how mine is sizing) is not that far off. NO FREAKING WAY a die with a ring at .367 is going to work right. That would make your OD on sized cases about .370" That would suck.

I just noticed your OD is .370. So my numbers seem to be spot on.

dkf
01-06-2012, 11:32
He said they have an undersized (.354" sizer ring ID) available also. I asked if I could exchange my sizer for one of those because my die is brand new. He said "we normally don't do exchanges"

No need to rip your setup down colorado, what I have ain't right. The sizing ring looks like it has a slight taper to it and its hard to get an accurate measurement with a caliper on slippy carbide, thats why I got my hole gages.

The thin case wall is going to expand when the bullet is pressed in. Peter (the guy from Lee) seemed to think a .001" undersize fit is ok. Which it is not for such a thin walled case that expands when the bullet is pressed in. Plus the case will have some "spring back" after exiting the sizing die.

I've been a machinist for quite some years now and a standard press fit rule is around .0015" undersize per 1" diameter HOWEVER that is on parts with a beefy wall. Thin brass just bulges too much for that rule to work.

I appreciate the help from you guys. More helpful than Lee thus far. Of course you guys are actual reloaders.

Well except maybe for Jack, he probably just would have put tape on it and call it good.:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 14:16
The thin case wall is going to expand when the bullet is pressed in. Peter (the guy from Lee) seemed to think a .001" undersize fit is ok. Which it is not for such a thin walled case that expands when the bullet is pressed in. Plus the case will have some "spring back" after exiting the sizing die.

Spring Back is about .003-.002" from what I can tell. It varies with the brass of course.

fredj338
01-06-2012, 14:36
Ah LEE QC srikes again. Make sure the die is marked 380 & not 9mm, diff specs. The sizing die should reduce the case back to factory spec +/- 0.001". Measure a loaded factory round & your sized case, if they don't at least come close, within 0.001", then it's likely the sizing die. As C4W notes, the LFCD doesn't fix anything.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 15:04
Ah LEE QC srikes again. Make sure the die is marked 380 & not 9mm, diff specs. The sizing die should reduce the case back to factory spec +/- 0.001". Measure a loaded factory round & your sized case, if they don't at least come close, within 0.001", then it's likely the sizing die. As C4W notes, the LFCD doesn't fix anything.

The sizing die should size the case well below factory spec. The FCD sizes it to factory spec. It's a big difference. It's almost like he has a FCD sizing ring in his regular sizing die.

dkf
01-06-2012, 16:05
The die has .380 stamped on it along with some other numbers. I sent the die back at lunch already. Maybe the sizing ring is actually a factory crimp setup. My 3 die set should not have had an FCD in it at all. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be loading .380 by next weekend. Guess I'll just have to fool around with .357sig in the meantime.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 18:26
I just remembered they don't make a FCD for the .380.

dkf
01-06-2012, 18:34

You sure?

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/CARBIDE-FACTORY-CRIMP-DIE-380-AUTO.html

ChrisJn
01-06-2012, 19:02

Yes they do Steve. I have one!

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 19:45
So maybe he got a FCD ring in his sizing die. I was sure that 2 years ago they didn't make a .380 FCD but I could be wrong. It's not like I would ever buy one.

dkf
01-06-2012, 20:20
Maybe they added it to their lineup recently. I think the bulge buster kit can use the .380 FCD.

dkf
01-13-2012, 08:24
I got a call from Lee this morning. The guy got my die and says it is within spec and sizes the case within spec. He said he sized a case and measured the ID at .352" (claimed that was the biggest pin gauge he could get in which I doubt) He said everything is within spec and everything should work hunky dory. (Said SAAMI spec on the .380 bullet is .356" despite every jacketed .380 being .355")

He tried to sell me that undersized sizing die again. I asked him why do they even make an undersized if the die I sent is the spec. "Some guys shoot undersized bullets to match their barrel".:shocked:

So now I'm getting sent back my die that doesn't work but a genius at Lee says it works. (despite not loading one round with it)

So what next?

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 08:36
Interesting. Sorry to hear that. I like Lee, but just know their customer service is just not that great.

dkf
01-13-2012, 08:45
I never loaded .380 before but I find it hard to believe I'm doing something wrong. The sizing die is adjusted tight up against the shellholder. I should not be able to push the bullet in with my fingers after the case is sized.

Colorodo would you mind trying the die out (since you have a lot of experience with the dies) and see if you have issues with it. I'll pay shipping both ways and send you a few of my bullets and brass to try.

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 09:00
I never loaded .380 before but I find it hard to believe I'm doing something wrong. The sizing die is adjusted tight up against the shellholder. I should not be able to push the bullet in with my fingers after the case is sized.

Colorodo would you mind trying the die out (since you have a lot of experience with the dies) and see if you have issues with it. I'll pay shipping both ways and send you a few of my bullets and brass to try.

Happy to help. I will pm you my address.

dkf
01-13-2012, 09:02
Happy to help. I will pm you my address.

I appreciate it. They are supposed to be shipping the die back to me today so it will take a few days until I get it. I will let you know when I get it.

F106 Fan
01-13-2012, 11:00
Said SAAMI spec on the .380 bullet is .356" despite every jacketed .380 being .355"

To be more precise, the SAAMI spec on a .380 bullet is 0.3565" - 0.0030" so the minimum acceptable diameter would be 0.03535"

The outside diameter at the case mouth is 0.3730" - 0.006" from SAAMI. If the brass thickness is 0.010" then the inside diameter is 0.3530" and for miminum diameter bullets, there is only 0.0005" for retention. Not a lot...

So, we hope for bullets closer to max diameter and the brass isn't running on the thin side.

Richard

dkf
01-13-2012, 11:39
Well it isn't working for me and Lee doesn't really seem to care, at all. Their attitude alone makes me not want to buy anything from them in the future.

I'm going to send the die to Colorado and let him see what he thinks. He already has a functioning die set so maybe he can figure out the issue. Worst case senario I buy a set of Dillon dies because it seems Dillon actually cares whether their product works for their customers or not.

Every dummy round I've loaded takes one not so hard hit with the inertia puller for it to fly out, crimped or not.

sdelam
01-13-2012, 14:38
I have a set of lee dies in .380 and had a hard time getting it set up with Montana golds. What I finally realized was that I could not reuse a bullet that had been seated once already. The crimp stage was swedging the bullet smaller and smaller the more I tried to stop the set back by increaseing the crimp.

In the end I started from scratch and didnt reuse any bullets when changing seating depth/crimp. It worked like a champ after that.

ColoCG
01-13-2012, 15:23
I have loaded .380's since 1967 using both RCBS and Lee dies. The Lee's for about the last 15yrs.

I've loaded fmj, cast, and plated bullets and the only time I have ever had a problem with neck tension was when the neck expander was set to deep.

I know you stated your bullets fit in the case neck without any case expansion.
So unless you have some extremly thin brass or it is not getting sized properly, and you have eliminated bullet diameter it sure sounds like the problem would be with the die.

So it will be interesting to here what C4W finds out.:dunno:

dkf
01-13-2012, 15:29
I can push a brand new bullet into a resized case with finger pressure. I've ruined many 90gr XTP bullets screwing with these dies. Light crimp didn't hold them, heavy crimp held them better but I could turn the bullet with my fingers. One fairly light smack from the bullet puller knocked all of them right out of the case. I should not have to distort a bullet with the crimp just to get it to hold.

So it will be interesting to here what C4W finds out.:dunno:Agreed. He has a lot more experience than I do I just do not know what I would be doing wrong to cause the issues. I'll have to send my shell holder along also because that is what I use to set the die to.

I have some 124gr XTPs also and I can push them into the case until it gets down a little to the ticker case wall.

ColoCG
01-13-2012, 15:46
I agree, you shouldn't have to and the bullet shouldn't go into the case that easily. Something is definitely wrong. I never even heard of an undersized sizing die for .380.

PCJim
01-13-2012, 16:54
dkf, before you send the returned die to C4W, try it again. Who knows whether they actually return the original die or another under the guise that there wasn't a problem to begin with...:whistling:

dkf
01-13-2012, 17:26
dkf, before you send the returned die to C4W, try it again. Who knows whether they actually return the original die or another under the guise that there wasn't a problem to begin with...:whistling:

I will. I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. Great minds think alike I guess.:supergrin:

I sent them a stripped sizing die. No decapping pin, pin nut, locking collar and etc. If it came off I took it off.

dkf
01-22-2012, 17:22
An update.

I sent the die out to Colorado4Wheel last week and he gave me a call today. I sent him 5 each of Blazer and Winchester brass and ten 90gr XTP bullets along with the sizing die.

Basically he found the same issue I did with the poor neck tension. He tried his own Lee .380 sizing die with the same result. He also tried some of his Montana Gold .380 FMJ bullets with both dies and the neck tension was not very great either. I'm sure Steve will stop in to mention what I missed. I appreciate Steve taking the time to help me out.

So it sounds like the guy at Lee was correct in saying the die was "within spec". I just got the feeling he really didn't care if it worked or not just that everything on their end was where it was supposed to be. I just felt I should have been able to load a very popular JHP with better neck tension.

So I guess if I want to use my current sizer die to reload I am going to have to use only lead bullets. The jacketed .355" bullet just seem to be too slippery to get the neck tension I would like. I guess I will pick up one of Lees undersize .380 sizing dies sometime to try and let everyone know how it works. For now I'm going to pick up some lead bullets and see how they work.

Colorado4Wheel
01-22-2012, 17:54
Neck tension was horrible with xtp's. It was the same with both dies. My Montana Gold was a lot better but I can still not good enough. This is a good reminder to check your tension. I have loaded several thousand .380 with this die and if I push hard I can get the bullet to move a lot. Not sure if I trust it or not. I need to chamber the same round over and over and see what happens. I don't worry about it with Lead and I doubt I will be paying for bullets just to shoot the .380 so it may be a moot point.

Colorado4Wheel
02-05-2012, 14:18
I tried a Dillon .380 die. Even with that die the XTP's DFK gave me still setback with a good push. Just thought you would like to know. It was the best of the three but still not good enough for me.

F106 Fan
02-05-2012, 16:52
Interesting...

I wonder what would happen with something like a Winchester FMJ? Cabela's lists the OD at 0.355" so maybe there is no difference but if that's the case, what does work for .380 besides lead?

Richard

sdelam
02-05-2012, 17:08
Were these bullets seated and pulled, and then reused. or were they only seated once each? I found I could not reuse MG's once they were seated. They just would not hold next tension after the first seating. Seems very strange that three dies, would have the same issue if the bullets are of the correct size.

maybe if you slap some red locktite on them :-)

dkf
02-05-2012, 19:27
Brand new bullets. I tried 90gr XTP and 90gr Nosler JHP bullets with the same issues. It seems the dies are made primarily for cast bullets.

I am going to be ordering the Lee undersize die this week and give that a shot. You should not need an "undersize" die to make jacketed bullets work IMO but apparently the industry thinks differently. I find it hard to believe myself and Steve are the only people who noticed this issue.

Colorado4Wheel
02-05-2012, 19:47
The Dillon die made the XTP's work about as good as the Lee die with MG bullets. Not great but not nearly as loose as the Lee XTP combo.

PCJim
02-05-2012, 21:53
I am going to be ordering the Lee undersize die this week and give that a shot. You should not need an "undersize" die to make jacketed bullets work IMO but apparently the industry thinks differently. I find it hard to believe myself and Steve are the only people who noticed this issue.

dkf, I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that you should not need an undersized die to load jacketed bullets. I do load 380s using Lee dies, but only with Missouri Bullet's 95gr LRN for practice with the P238. The carry round in that pistol is factory SD.

sdelam
02-06-2012, 07:16
Like I said, I had issues as well but got them sorted by reducing the amount of flare. Just enough to get the bullet seated....and I mean JUST enough. If i pick up some lead bullets I will have to increase my flare for sure.

That and the whole “trying to reuse the same bullet to set up my dies” was giving me a huge headache. I'm interested to see how the undersized die works, I might have to pick one up just so I don’t have to change my flare when switching bullets.

Colorado4Wheel
02-06-2012, 09:01
I seated those bullets with no flare just to see what would happen. Same problem.

dkf
02-06-2012, 12:12
dkf, I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that you should not need an undersized die to load jacketed bullets. I do load 380s using Lee dies, but only with Missouri Bullet's 95gr LRN for practice with the P238. The carry round in that pistol is factory SD.

I'm going to pick up some of those 95gr Missouri bullets and see how they work with the die I currently have.

Hunters Supply also has a 95gr pentagon HP that I heard has some nice expansion out of the .380. I have to get some of those the next time I order from Midway.

sourdough44
02-06-2012, 14:45
Just skimmed on through, but I'd try other brass & bullets & see how it works out. I recently finished up some 380 reloading with new Starline brass, 100 grn plated bullets & win 231 powder. Yes I also used Lee dies, all worked out just fine.

Colorado4Wheel
02-06-2012, 15:19
Just skimmed on through, but I'd try other brass & bullets & see how it works out. I recently finished up some 380 reloading with new Starline brass, 100 grn plated bullets & win 231 powder. Yes I also used Lee dies, all worked out just fine.

I used to think the same. Did you push the nose of the bullet hard against the bench?

dkf
02-06-2012, 15:22
I tried several brands of brass even nickel plated brass with not enough difference to speak of. If I have to buy new brass to reload jacket bullets I might as well not even bother reloading it. Depending on the plated bullet it could also be .356" instead of .355" which can be just enough difference to increase neck tension to an acceptable level.

dkf
02-10-2012, 13:13
I recieved my .380 undersized sizing die today that I ordered on Monday from Lee. I loaded up a few dummy rounds with the 90gr XTP bullets to test out. Neck tension is much better now. If I push extremely hard I can get the bullet to move back slightly but there is plenty of neck tension. Now I have to load some live rounds and see how it goes. Should be no problems. I want to pick up some lead bullets and test it as well to see if there is any shaving of the bullet.

The part # for the undersized .380 sizing die is LEE-380-G8 costs under $34 with shipping. There is a "U" stamped on one of the wrench flats at the top of the die so you can tell it from the standard die.

PCJim
02-10-2012, 13:26
I'd like to see a finished round after resizing with the undersized die and loaded with a 95gr LRN. Should look like a Barbie doll.

dkf
02-10-2012, 13:31
I got a little "bulge" from the XTP bullet presses into the brass.(case exspanded slightly) Measures within spec so should chamber fine. I agree, the .356" lead will probably be a tight squeeze.

just for fun
02-10-2012, 14:25
Read your post and had to go to the bench to see if I had the same problem (that I may have overlooked)! Loaded up a hundred for a new gun,but the deal fell through at the last minute! Hornady 90 gr. bullets, Winchester (and Federal) brass used lee dies. When you hold them sideways to the light you can see how deep into the case the bullet is seated. All is well. Thankyou for the heads up.

albyihat
02-10-2012, 15:19
dkf, I had the same problem with Hornady dies in .40 cal. The die is to factory spec but I got no neck tension. Redding makes their .40 dies to a smaller spec, and since switching I have had no problems. It sounds like your undersized die is working out for you, which is basically the same fix I went with. On a side note I gave the hornady dies to a friend to try out and he used them to load 10mm with the same results, no neck tension. So they went into the garbage, I was not about to let someone have a KB because I sold them crappy dies. Good luck with the new set-up

dkf
02-10-2012, 17:43
Thanks for the heads up on .40. I don't load for .40 yet but want to in the future.

I found a place that sells several undersize sizing dies which Lee makes special for them. I'll probably just get an undersize .40 die from them and buy the Lee 3-die set. I can use the standard sizer in the Lee set for my .357sig.:wavey:

http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersize-reloading-dies/

ChrisJn
02-10-2012, 18:28
I must be missing something here.
I have reloaded Berrys .380 HB 100gr for years using Lee three die set and never had a problem!

dkf
02-10-2012, 18:38
The Berrys plated bullet is also .356" in diameter and takes up more real estate in the case to help neck tension.

Colorado4Wheel
02-10-2012, 18:59
I must be missing something here.
I have reloaded Berrys .380 HB 100gr for years using Lee three die set and never had a problem!

Have you actually checked them by pushing hard against a table with a loaded round.

ChrisJn
02-10-2012, 19:53
Have you actually checked them by pushing hard against a table with a loaded round.

Yes, Steve. They don't budge at all.

Colorado4Wheel
02-11-2012, 00:29
I guess it's just sloppy tolerances. .001" would make a big difference. So a bullet .0005 bigger and a sizing die .0005 smaller would be enough to really help.

dkf
02-22-2012, 10:09
An update.

I finally got out to shoot some reloads I loaded with the new undersize .380 die. I shot them out of my LCP.

Using the 90gr XTP and CCI sm pistol primers and Power Pistol I loaded up 10@ 3.6gr, 5 @ 3.8gr and 5 @ 4.0gr. COAL was .960".

All shot fine without a hitch. The 3.8gr rounds seemed like a nice charge for practice without being too wimpy.

Colorado4Wheel
02-22-2012, 12:05
Glad they worked out OK.

G36_Me
02-23-2012, 20:54
Here is my experience from notes in my reloading logs.

- 95 gr LRN from Vance (the local lead guy) loads with no issues, no set back
-100 gr Rainier from Midway USA loads with no issues, no set back
- 95gr 380 Auto FMC from Magtech are way undersized and set back really easily; these Magtech bullets are slicker than snot and that doesn't help. They are beautiful and polished like a piece of jewelry.

I use Lee Dies for my 380.

jackmercer
05-31-2012, 20:30
Found this thread on a google search and wanted to send a huge thank you out to dfk for sharing his experience.

I've struggled for about two months now with 380 setback with a variety of bullets on a Dillon 550B. I've used MG 95gr, Speer TMJ 95gr and Speer GDHP 90gr and I was getting crazy setback with a simple index finger thumb push mainly with winchester, remington and federal brass that was shot more than once. Surprisingly, crappy foreign brass never gave me problems (RWS, GFL, Fiochhi, etc).

The sizing die went down to the plate minus a half turn, the flare was absolute minimal needed to set a bullet in and spent what seemed like days getting the crimp just enough to remove the flare. Tried a variety of things.

I ordered the undersized Lee 380 die two weeks ago and just tested it today. Problem solved!

dkf
05-31-2012, 20:51
Glad it helped you.

What sizing die were you using before?

R.Ph. 380
05-31-2012, 20:51

They were making one 4 years ago when I bought mine.........

SARDG
05-31-2012, 21:49
...Surprisingly, crappy foreign brass never gave me problems (RWS, GFL, Fiochhi, etc).
I think Fiochhi ammo is neither crappy or foreign as they now manufacture ammo in the US. (Lake Ozark, MO)