EAA Witness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EAA Witness

attrapereves
01-05-2012, 14:09
Does anyone own an EAA Witness in 10mm. I've only found a few reviews on the 10mm version and most of them aren't too positive. It seems like most of the complaints are about the magazines.

I'd like to pick up a full sized version since they are similar to a CZ-75.

Any thoughts?

nam02G
01-05-2012, 14:22
I've got one. I've never had any trouble with the magazines, but then I only have the 10 rounders. I used mine for a short time shooting limited-10 in USPSA matches. It always functioned well, but I found the rudimentary sights to be mostly useless for match shooting. My other big complaint about it stems from being a reloader. Brass ejection is very erratic and I could never get more than a couple pieces of brass back from each stage. Once when I was out target shooting I did a little test to try and figure out where the brass was going. It pretty much landed at about 45 degrees over my right shoulder. But went anywhere from 2 feet to 27 feet away.

21Carrier
01-05-2012, 22:58
I did a lot of research on them a while back. After considerable thought, I passed. Here's why:

The main problem is the new slide. Unfortunately, they redesigned the slide a while back, and it's now substantially weaker. Apparently, some of the 10mm guns have cracked their slides. Just search for it, and you'll find plenty of pictures/stories. Even worse, those that have had cracked slides, usually encounter HORRIBLE customer service from EAA. It appears that EAA is understaffed and overworked. Since Tanfoglio makes the guns, and EAA is just the USA distributor, it seems there is some sort of "pass the buck" mentality when warranty issues arise. That being said, some people get great service, and I think a member here is in the latter category. I think there's a guy here who had a cracked slide, and they ended up upgrading his slide to the Match unit, and essentially sending him back a much more expensive gun. I also remember him having a hell of a time getting the ejection and feeding tuned right. I think his name is Kwesi.

Anyway, besides the magazine issue, make sure you thoroughly research this slide cracking issue. I think it's the round-top slide that's newer and weaker. The older slide is more squared-off. Also, you can get the older slide if you order a Match (I think it's the Match version) gun.

I may end up getting one at some point, because they look awesome, and the CZ design is supposed to be a great one. It's certainly a classic design and gun.

Gary1911A1
01-06-2012, 06:26
I did a lot of research on them a while back. After considerable thought, I passed. Here's why:

The main problem is the new slide. Unfortunately, they redesigned the slide a while back, and it's now substantially weaker. Apparently, some of the 10mm guns have cracked their slides. Just search for it, and you'll find plenty of pictures/stories. Even worse, those that have had cracked slides, usually encounter HORRIBLE customer service from EAA. It appears that EAA is understaffed and overworked. Since Tanfoglio makes the guns, and EAA is just the USA distributor, it seems there is some sort of "pass the buck" mentality when warranty issues arise. That being said, some people get great service, and I think a member here is in the latter category. I think there's a guy here who had a cracked slide, and they ended up upgrading his slide to the Match unit, and essentially sending him back a much more expensive gun. I also remember him having a hell of a time getting the ejection and feeding tuned right. I think his name is Kwesi.

Anyway, besides the magazine issue, make sure you thoroughly research this slide cracking issue. I think it's the round-top slide that's newer and weaker. The older slide is more squared-off. Also, you can get the older slide if you order a Match (I think it's the Match version) gun.

I may end up getting one at some point, because they look awesome, and the CZ design is supposed to be a great one. It's certainly a classic design and gun.

I agree with the above assessment. If Tanfoglio would spend more money they would have a fine product. They seem to count on owners only shooting their pistols a little.

arushus
01-06-2012, 09:21
Ive looked into them some also, and found info along the same lines as carrier...it seems that the 10mm round just beats the gun up real bad, as if the slide and frame were built to handle other popular calibers like 9mm, 40sw, 38super, and .45acp, and they just re-chambered it for 10mm. At these higher pressures, speeds, and power, the gun tends to just fall apart. From what Ive read/heard, it handles most of the factory 10mm ammo that is loaded to around .40s&w pressures and speeds fairly well, bug when you fire the real 10mm ammo, parts start breaking...

07hemi4me
01-10-2012, 16:16
What about the older EAA Witness's any problems with them?

21Carrier
01-11-2012, 07:00

I don't think so. Like I said, I've only heard of the newer ones actually having issues. It seems like if you can find an older one with the thicker slide, it's good to go. But I'm not sure about that.

Gary1911A1
01-11-2012, 10:24

I think they must use the same recoil spring in the 45 for the 10MM. You would need to replace it with a 20 pound spring. Some shorten their ejectors to keep their Witness from launching the brass into the next shooting bay.

jamesbern
01-11-2012, 10:30
Just my opinion on the Witness Limited (not sure the exact model you are looking for).

I love mine! Mine is a 9mm while my buddies started as a .45 and now has a 9mm upper as well.

Both of ours have been very good. We shoot them in local competitions every week.

The grip, feel, and weight of the gun is awesome! I was actually looking at picking up another in 10mm or .45, but went with an FNP instead.

I emailed EAA a couple times with some questions and they did answer them, even though it took a couple days to hear back from them. So far i'm very happy with the pistol and it's performance.

I've heard the lower end stuff isn't as good so that could be different than everything i've experienced with mine.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Photography/c2b62116.jpg

meangreenlx50
01-11-2012, 20:03
I own a 10mm Witness with the Wonder Finish. I have shot alot of 10mm through it but I haven't loaded any nuclear hot 10mm rounds but its holding up well.