Where do i mount my new press [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do i mount my new press

November Sunrise
01-06-2012, 05:45
I have a new 40" x 22" reloading bench coming this weekend and i need help figuring out where to mount my second press. I already have a LCT and know this unit needs to be mounted where i have at least a foot of working room on the presses left side. (I'm right handed too). The question is...I have a single stage Lee to mount along with the powder measure on this bench too. I don't know where to put it. I have never operated a single stage before. Any hints would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

shotgunred
01-06-2012, 06:05
One option is to mount each press to a pice of plywood. then as you need the press put it on the bench with clamps. Lee and several other companies make a clamp that lets you do the same thing.
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/STEEL-BASE-BLOCK.html

Boxerglocker
01-06-2012, 06:12
Mount the LCT a foot or so from the left side edge and the SS on the right. The SS will need more room to spread out when loading, being right handed you will be reaching with your left.

November Sunrise
01-06-2012, 07:09
Mount the LCT a foot or so from the left side edge and the SS on the right. The SS will need more room to spread out when loading, being right handed you will be reaching with your left.
Are you thinking the front right corner of the bench for the SS or not quite to the corner ?

November Sunrise
01-06-2012, 07:09
One option is to mount each press to a pice of plywood. then as you need the press put it on the bench with clamps. Lee and several other companies make a clamp that lets you do the same thing.
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/STEEL-BASE-BLOCK.html
I did see them. Are they very sturdy?

November Sunrise
01-06-2012, 07:10
Should i keep my powder measure portable or mount it to the bench too?
Thanks

creophus
01-06-2012, 07:55
Should i keep my powder measure portable or mount it to the bench too?
Thanks

I have my RCBS Uniflow "portable" as it's attached with a C clamp.

Boxerglocker
01-06-2012, 08:04
Are you thinking the front right corner of the bench for the SS or not quite to the corner ?

Give it 10-12 inches.... that way you can still place your calipers, scale...there for access.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2012, 08:29
www.patmarlins.com

November Sunrise
01-06-2012, 12:28
I appreciate the tips guys.

shotgunred
01-06-2012, 18:39
I did see them. Are they very sturdy?

I wouldn't get the whole thing. they sell just the top clamp. Personally I would just mount my presses to a piece of 3/4 plywood and clamp them on the desk as I needed them.

My progressive is mounted about 6 inches from the left side of my bench. Just enough room for bullets. My second press is 2 feet to the right of the first one.
The single stage is on the right corner.

IndyGunFreak
01-06-2012, 18:42
Where to mount your press... Hmm.. well, you'll need to tell us where your flat screen is first.. ;)

I don't have a single stage, but I like the "1 press at each end" solution. Leaves the middle of the bench free for work.

shotgunred
01-06-2012, 18:45
I guess that would work if you only had two presses. But who only owns two?:tongueout:

norton
01-06-2012, 19:16
My bench is 58 inches wide. I mounted the R/C on the right end about 9" from the edge. My Dillon 550 is in the center, about 30" from the edge.
Since I now have a shot shell press, I built another bench and placed it beside my first bench. When I retire, I plan to get rid of my desktop computer and its desk and have the entire wall for my bench.

PCJim
01-06-2012, 20:57
Mount it with clamps until you figure out how it best works FOR YOU. One man's liking isn't necessarily every man's liking. If that was the case, there'd be a lot of women in this world destined for a very lonely life.