CCI Pistol Shotshells [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCI Pistol Shotshells

VT_smokey
01-06-2012, 23:03
Has anyone tried them before? I'm looking for something to use for snakes, mostly water moccasins while fishing. Right now I'm considering either getting some shells for my G23, or getting a small .22 revolver, something like a North American Arms .22LR to use them in. Any suggestions which one to go with?

9mm +p+
01-06-2012, 23:17
I've shot a couple of snakes with them, out of a revolver a 38 load to be exact. They required 2 shots each so I'd definetly not go the 40 route as they might not cycle your 40. That being said the 22 versions are even lower powered and a mini revolver carries 5, personally I'd suggest one of those small derringers in 410 if size will be an issue. Or a 357 wheelgun.

9L0ck
01-06-2012, 23:20
From what I hear the cci work good for snakes but they have a feed issue. The next round tends to jam or FTF (feed). Buy a box and see how it works in your 23.

collim1
01-07-2012, 13:29
They suck in the calibers I have tried. I had a giant rat in my storage shed that had been chewing holes everywhere. I carried my j frame around the house with the first round a shot shell hoping to get a shot at him.

Sure enough I heard him chewing, opened the door and popped from about three feet away and he ran off. I know he didn't die cause he came back. I eventually poisoned him.

BTW, I was dumb enough to think that with the significantly reduced payload they were would be about half as loud as a normal .38 round (heck they dont weigh half as much as a regular .38 round). I was very wrong, ears rang and the neighbors all heard it.

The .22's are really a joke. The semi-autos will not cycle the action of any gun I have tired them in.

I suspect would have to step up to a .44mag or .45 colt loading to get a decent enough shotshell to be useful.

VT_smokey
01-07-2012, 16:21
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting a S&W J Frame and some .38 Shotshells. I'll take them to the range next week and see how they work. Hopefully I won't have to find out how well they work against a cottonmouth, but its gotta be better than nothing. Now I just need to figure out a way to carry it with my waders on...

SCmasterblaster
01-07-2012, 17:03
I'd use the .44 magnum shotshells by Speer. There sre a lot more pellets, and at close range is quite effective..

David_Ely
01-16-2012, 21:37
I've used a lot of CCI shotshells on the local chipmunk population in my backyard. As has been said, they will not cycle an automatic so going with a revolver was a wise move. I was amazed how well they did work on chipmunks. I've killed them with 22LR, 9mm and 45 Colt shotshells. And the above poster is correct ... They are LOUD out of a pistol.