Long time listener. First time caller... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long time listener. First time caller...

glock2619
01-06-2012, 23:19
Hello reloading forum. Let's just say I read here quite a bit and have picked up a tremendous amount of knowledge of all things reloading. I don't have much to contribute as I'm just starting, so I just sit back and listen.

Having said that, I'm through about 3000 rounds of .45 and 2100 rounds(ran out of primers tonight...) of 9mm. So far, so good... :embarassed:

Question: Did I hit some sort of reloading rite-of-passage tonight when I found a couple spent 9mm primers in the bottom of my coffee cup? Amazing how those things can bounce. Didn't seem to add or subtract from the so-so pot I brewed this evening. That might say something about the quality of coffee I use.

Oh, if anyone has any tips on how to keep that little primer flapper catcher thingy on the 550 working perfect all the time, let me know.

Anyways. Hello there.

F106 Fan
01-07-2012, 00:09
Oh, if anyone has any tips on how to keep that little primer flapper catcher thingy on the 550 working perfect all the time, let me know.

Good luck with that! I kind of wiggle the flapper around to try to keep it loose but even when it works, I still have spent primers on the floor.

The spring loaded nature of the Dillon decapping pin doesn't help. It can shoot a primer clear across the garage under some conditions.

I just run the Shop-Vac around and clean up the mess. It's not like the media separator is a tidy operation.

Richard

WiskyT
01-07-2012, 06:48
Hello reloading forum. Let's just say I read here quite a bit and have picked up a tremendous amount of knowledge of all things reloading. I don't have much to contribute as I'm just starting, so I just sit back and listen.

Having said that, I'm through about 3000 rounds of .45 and 2100 rounds(ran out of primers tonight...) of 9mm. So far, so good... :embarassed:

Question: Did I hit some sort of reloading rite-of-passage tonight when I found a couple spent 9mm primers in the bottom of my coffee cup?

Anyways. Hello there.

If you learned how to reload on this forum, and lived to tell about it, that would be the only right of passage that I am aware of.

XDRoX
01-07-2012, 08:24
I don't have much to contribute as I'm just starting, so I just sit back and listen.

That doesn't stop half the guys that post here. :rofl:

About your primer flapper issue. I replaced the pin with a safety pin. 99% of my problems went away. They make a safety pin that exactly the right size, about 3/4" if I was guessing. My flap nevers gets stuck open any more and I'd say 99% of my primers end up where they should.

PCJim
01-07-2012, 08:55
Like others posted, it seems to be an ongoing nuance of the 550 machine. After enough use, you'll also find that primer catch unit will cut a channel in your primer bar.

As to the coffee, I hope you didn't drink any after those spent primers found their way into it. The lead compound used in primers wouldn't be good for the long term health of the body.

shotgunred
01-07-2012, 11:03
The little primer flapper catcher thingy on the 550 will never work 100%.
Replacing the pin will help. I also taped a little bit of cardboard to the back of the primer cup to make it higher.

WiskyT
01-07-2012, 11:42
Like others posted, it seems to be an ongoing nuance of the 550 machine. After enough use, you'll also find that primer catch unit will cut a channel in your primer bar.

As to the coffee, I hope you didn't drink any after those spent primers found their way into it. The lead compound used in primers wouldn't be good for the long term health of the body.

On a Dillon it's called a "nuance" huh?

glock2619
01-07-2012, 14:07
@PCJ.. I didn't notice them until I was toward the bottom of the cup. No idea when they got in there. That will teach me to put my cup anywhere remotely close to the machine.

@XDR.. I will try replacing the pin. I suppose it's time.

@ everyone.. I should rephrase. I've learned lots from this forum as well as many tips and tricks, but it's not my ONLY source of information. I've got 3 different manuals I look to as well as others around me that (seem to) know what they are doing.

PCJim
01-07-2012, 18:48
On a Dillon it's called a "nuance" huh?

Like that, huh? :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2012, 22:04
I think it's called character.