Gun Control actually creates more crime and violence, agree or disagree? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control actually creates more crime and violence, agree or disagree?

nyycanseco33
01-07-2012, 03:27
With strict regulations of carry laws and infringement on our 2nd amendment rights to bear arms, do they help to prevent crime or does it increase and even create more crime?

Think about this:
1 - more laws mean more chances of people breaking the law, sometimes unknowingly and unintentionally
2 - they infringe on our rights as responsible gun owners, so we all pay the price instead of just the bad guys
3 - causes even more black market sales of weapons to subjects from all walks of life while us responsible owners must be hassled and harrassed to fill out the legal documents to obtain the same gun so we can shoot in a safe manner or use it for protection
4 - federal law states 2nd amendment right to bear arms but the states feel the need to regulate it further, I don't agree and feel them doing so is unconstitutional...

Please share your thoughts, feelings, and feel free to add to my list if you'd like...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HandyMan Hugh
01-07-2012, 04:45
I agree with you completely!

Gun control is a failed experiment in social engineering.
It is impossible to know how many thousands of innocent people have died at the hands of criminals because of restrictive gun laws. Laws that kept the innocent victims from having a firearm when the need was greatest!

It is a crying shame that HOPLOPHOBIA ( a baseless fear of weapons esp firearms) is not yet recognized by psychiatry as a mental disorder.
It is also a crying shame that there are large numbers of Hoplophobes in public office, writing even more anti gun laws, and THEY call us nuts.

John Rambo
01-07-2012, 08:38
Disagree almost completely. I assert that neither gun laws nor gun rights have a significant effect on crime.

Some things that do effect crime levels

Police levels
Infrastructure spending
State of the economy
Natural disasters
Immigration laws
Legalized abortion
Unemployment

HandyMan Hugh
01-07-2012, 09:38
Read John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime", I mean really read it, and see if you disagree still.

Jerry
01-07-2012, 10:55
Disagree almost completely. I assert that neither gun laws nor gun rights have a significant effect on crime.

Some things that do effect crime levels

Police levels
Infrastructure spending
State of the economy
Natural disasters
Immigration laws
Legalized abortion
Unemployment

I have to call you on that one John. In every state that has adopted CCW the violent crime rate has dropped. Now I don’t agree with having to “buy” a license to CCW but it has proven that when citizens are allowed to carry violent crime is deterred.

John Rambo
01-07-2012, 12:42
I have to call you on that one John. In every state that has adopted CCW the violent crime rate has dropped. Now I don’t agree with having to “buy” a license to CCW but it has proven that when citizens are allowed to carry violent crime is deterred.

I can't research that at the moment. But until I can do so, I'll leave you with this thought. The violent crime rate has been going down nationwide for many years, with only a hiccup or two along the way.

I would also question how citizens being able to carry deters violent crime when criminals won't know someone is carrying until they pull, given that most people carry concealed.

Jerry
01-07-2012, 15:37
I can't research that at the moment. But until I can do so, I'll leave you with this thought. The violent crime rate has been going down nationwide for many years, with only a hiccup or two along the way.

You are absolutely correct. They started dropping when Texas adopted CCW (1994 ish) and have declined in every state that had done so since. Hence they have dropped nationwide. In the years before they were steadily climbing.

Louisiana adopted CCW in 1996. There was a 30% drop in violent crime the same year when it had been on the increase for meny years befor. Car Jackings were on the rise. There was “ ONE ATTEMPT” a year after CCW passes. The passenger shot and killed the wouldbe hijacker. There have only been a coupe in all the years since.

If you haven’t already get a copy of “More Guns Less Crime” by John Lott Jr. it’s a must read.

I would also question how citizens being able to carry deters violent crime when criminals won't know someone is carrying until they pull, given that most people carry concealed.

It’s quite simple. Criminals don’t know who is and who isn’t carrying firearms so they commit fewer violent crimes. Again, John Lott does a good job of explaining the why and how.

nyycanseco33
01-07-2012, 19:32
If you haven’t already get a copy of “More Guns Less Crime” by John Lott Jr. it’s a must read.

is this a common book I could fin in most book stores or is it something I'm gonna have to search high and low for? I'd really like to read this book to see what it has to say, have heard multiple people recommend it and I def am interested in the findings in this book

Jerry
01-07-2012, 19:49
is this a common book I could fin in most book stores or is it something I'm gonna have to search high and low for? I'd really like to read this book to see what it has to say, have heard multiple people recommend it and I def am interested in the findings in this book

Got the original at Barns and Nobles several years ago and the latest edition about one year ago. Or you can click your way to education. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=More+Guns+Less+Crime&x=11&y=18

runcible68
01-10-2012, 15:35
From what I can see from the statistics, neither guns or the absence of guns has an effect on crime rates. The best that could be said of the impact of concealed carry is that it has a statically neutral effect on crime. It's like chicken soup - can't help, can't hurt.

What does affect crime rates?

1) Lengthy prison sentences, especially for gun crimes.
2) Better education and choices for people to avoid getting sucked into criminal activity.
3) Plenty of police to deter and investigate crime.
4) Strong values imparted by parents and caregivers.

In response to a previous poster, while the economy is indeed tanking, crime rates are still low and even falling. So there goes the bad economy reason. Same for unemployment.

Abortion's been around for the past twenty years, but the crime rate has also gone down during that time.

Immigrations is broken but, yet again, the overall crime rate, has steadily fallen over the past twenty years.

Natural disasters always make for a bump in crime, but they are anomalies and, even when you factor these episodes into the national average - yep - crime rates are still down.

We can't use crime rates as the boogeyman for advancing the cause of guns because we live in a safer country than we did 20 years ago.