Finally shot first reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally shot first reloads

jr05
01-07-2012, 08:25
Well, I finally got out and shot my first reloads. I loaded 10 rounds last night and brought them to the range this morning.

9mm
124gr Montana Gold CMJ
4.7gr WSF
Winchester brass
Remington 1 1/2 primers
1.158" OAL

Test gun : Glock 34

Results: They all shot well, chambered, and cycled the slide as intended. Shot next to WWB 115gr they had noticeably less recoil (good thing).

Average FPS though a prochrono digital = 1051 FPS with a max spread of 10.
Accuracy was about 2" at 15 yards, but that was not on a rest, they are perfectly good for what I will be using them for.

WWB measured 1230 with a spread of about 30 FWIW.

All in all I am very pleased, I would like to add 0.1gr more powder to ensure I am over the 130PF every time for USPSA but I only have the lee auto disk and the next jump adds about 0.4grains. I am thinking of getting another disk and reaming out one of the holes to give me the desired charge. But for now, I am just going to load up a hundred or so and test them out.

Boxerglocker
01-07-2012, 08:33
Well, I finally got out and shot my first reloads. I loaded 10 rounds last night and brought them to the range this morning.

9mm
124gr Montana Gold CMJ
4.7gr WSF
Winchester brass
Remington 1 1/2 primers
1.158" OAL

Test gun : Glock 34

Results: They all shot well, chambered, and cycled the slide as intended. Shot next to WWB 115gr they had noticeably less recoil (good thing).

Average FPS though a prochrono digital = 151 FPS with a max spread of 10.
Accuracy was about 2" at 15 yards, but that was not on a rest, they are perfectly good for what I will be using them for.

WWB measured 1230 with a spread of about 30 FWIW.

All in all I am very pleased, I would like to add 0.1gr more powder to ensure I am over the 130PF every time for USPSA but I only have the lee auto disk and the next jump adds about 0.4grains. I am thinking of getting another disk and reaming out one of the holes to give me the desired charge. But for now, I am just going to load up a hundred or so and test them out.

I would try loading a little shorter at 1.135 before reaming out the disc. The shorter OAL should give you a little extra pressure and boost your velocity.

WiskyT
01-07-2012, 08:39
You had a typo in the velocity.

Did you check the actual charge thrown by the next cavity? Often, the difference is a bit less than what the chart indicates. One tenth doesn't really make enough of a difference in a combo like you are using.

Lee makes and adjustable charge bar that should work well with ball powder with the volume you are dealing with. Very low charges of flake powders are complete fail, but it should work well with what you are doing.

If you modify a Lee cavity, use a soldering iron or similar to obscure the volume designation on that cavity and over-write it with a new mark so you there won't be any confusion about what size it is 20 years from now.

jr05
01-07-2012, 11:15
Thanks Whisky, yes that was a mix, definitely 1051 not 151!!!

I would definitely mark the disk if I decide to do that change (we will see, these are going to work for now). I will always confrim the first few throws though regardless of the settings I have.

It was a great feeling shooting the reloads and I made up 50 this morning after I got back from the range, will be using them tomorrow!

rkb58
01-07-2012, 11:21
Welcome to your new addiction. The reloading life is good !

lunchboxtheman
01-07-2012, 15:42
Grats on your first reloads!

The double disk kit for the auto disk powder measure lets you increment your charge more precisely in 0.1 grain increments. This way you wouldn't have to mame a disk.

You can get it at Midway for $11. Graf & Sons also has them for about a buck more if you don't want to deal with Midway's minimum order 'tax' and heinous shipping.

Double disk kit at Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/870920/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-double-disk-kit)
Double disk kit at Graf & Sons (http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7657)

jr05
01-07-2012, 20:23
[QUOTE=lunchboxtheman;18398508]Grats on your first reloads!

The double disk kit for the auto disk powder measure lets you increment your charge more precisely in 0.1 grain increments. This way you wouldn't have to mame a disk.

I don't think the double disk kit works down at this low of a charge weight does it?

lunchboxtheman
01-07-2012, 22:44
[QUOTE=lunchboxtheman;18398508]Grats on your first reloads!

I don't think the double disk kit works down at this low of a charge weight does it?

I'm not sure actually. My friend uses it for 308 and 223 and described it to me. I never considered that it might not be very useful for low charges. I tried finding information or a manual for it online but nada. Maybe someone here has used it and can give more info.

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 05:21
Lee has instructions that show allowable double disc combinations. You can't use a giant disc with a tiny disc, so he lists specifically which ones you can use. Basically, you can use two small ones no problem according to the instructions. I remember reading them once upon a time but haven't ever used my DD kit. I bought it to replace a couple discs that disappeared on me and it was cheaper than buying the replacement discs.

Kentucky Shooter
01-08-2012, 08:00
Congrats on your first reloads. I remember shooting my first reloads--- I was nervous for some reason, I almost wanted to wear leather welding gear and a helmet just in case. :rofl:But they shot well and uneventful, so the apprehension quickly wore off. Reloading is a great hobby in and of itself if you have the time.

jr05
01-08-2012, 10:44
Well, I brought my first larger volume box to the range today, 50 rounds, all loaded the same way as the last. They all fired well and had excellent accuracy (didn't use a rest or anything though). I used them to test out my ghost rocket trigger and kept the 25 round slow fire in the A zone of an IDPA target at 25 yards, plenty good for my IDPA/USPSA needs.

The only thing I noticed this time out was the muzzle flash. There is still burning powder coming out of the gun. Any thoughts on what I can do to minimize this? I probably would not have noticed if I had not mixed a mag with WWB and my reloads, definitely a difference. I looked at the primers and they all look identical to the WWB so not having any pressure issues (bottom end of the load spectrum anyway. Maybe too low of a load? Maybe try seating the bullet a bit deeper?

DWARREN123
01-08-2012, 10:46
Nothing better than shooting your own reloads. :supergrin:
Now to get the best load for your gun(s).