Commander size 1911 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Commander size 1911 9mm

brianfede
01-07-2012, 09:35
Hi,

I am new to the 1911 game, just bought a DW Heritage and now I feel the need to get a commander size 1911 in 9mm. Debating between the STI Ranger II and the DW Guardian. Anyone have experience with these 2 guns that can offer some insight? I really don't know too much about STI, other than the positive reviews I hear about the Trojan etc. ( I have read BAC's 1911 guide, very informative). Don't have a range nearby that rents the STI so that is not an option for me either.

This gun will be mostly used for targets and sometimes by my wife. I'm in Illinois so carry is not an option.

Secondly, is Oak Hill the place to buy STI's? Severns for DW?

Quack
01-07-2012, 09:52
Either will serve you well, but bobtails carry nicely.

STI has the Spartan IV coming out, which is commander size as well. Price is around $650 or so.

For DW you can do better on pricing from jetguns.com
STI has strict pricing policies, so the lowest you'll find is something like 10% under MSRP

glock2740
01-07-2012, 10:02
Either will serve you well, but bobtails carry nicely.

STI has the Spartan IV coming out, which is commander size as well. Price is around $650 or so.

For DW you can do better on pricing from jetguns.com
STI has strict pricing policies, so the lowest you'll find is something like 10% under MSRP
All of those are very good guns too.

brianfede
01-07-2012, 10:06
How to the finishes compare on the STI vs the DW?

Quack
01-07-2012, 11:19
the DW has a better finish.

i've taken a file to the slide and smal parts that were finished in the "Duty Treatment" and the file just slides right off. The frame is anodized.

ProCarryNAustin
01-07-2012, 22:31
I have a Ranger II. The finish on it was okay, but since I carry mine a lot I needed better. Sent mine off for the Severns Custom Hard Hat treatment and so far that has done the trick. I do not have any first hand experience with the DW.

glock2740
01-07-2012, 22:49
the DW has a better finish.

i've taken a file to the slide and smal parts that were finished in the "Duty Treatment" and the file just slides right off. The frame is anodized.
My "Duty Treatment" DW's are tough as nails. I haven't pushed the finish on my STI Legacy at all, but I will be willing to bet that it isn't anywhere near as good as my DW's. Now, after the Legacy gets back from Metaloy, getting hardchromed, I'll be singing a different tune tune. :rofl:

BuckyP
01-08-2012, 06:20
This gun will be mostly used for targets and sometimes by my wife. I'm in Illinois so carry is not an option.

If carry is not an option, why not go with a 5" gun? :dunno:

That's what I would recommend.

fnfalman
01-08-2012, 10:50
If carry is not an option, why not go with a 5" gun? :dunno:

That's what I would recommend.
Because the Commander size is handier?

FLSlim
01-08-2012, 14:47
For STI purchase, Oakhill is fine as are Dawson Precision and Brazos Gun Works. All their prices are the same or very close. I have the Ranger in 45 and have been very happy with it, but don't own a DW, so I can't compare the 2 except that the STI is a few hundred less expensive

vmr357
01-12-2012, 13:16
I decided I "needed" a 1911 for the anniversary last year but also wanted to stay with 9mm so I could share the same ammo with the rest of my autos. By chance I found an DW Guardian which I like very much.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/vmr357/Sargegrips.jpg

The difference between it and the STI Guardian is the difference between a Commander and a CCO style gun. Also, the DW has an alloy frame while the STI has a steel frame. I quite like the Bobtail grip, but I've held some other CCO's and like them too. I think you need to look at cost, availability, and how they feel your own hand. I don't think there's enough recoil from a 9mm to make that part of the decision.

Vern

ca survivor
01-12-2012, 18:55
I decided I "needed" a 1911 for the anniversary last year but also wanted to stay with 9mm so I could share the same ammo with the rest of my autos. By chance I found an DW Guardian which I like very much.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/vmr357/Sargegrips.jpg

The difference between it and the STI Guardian is the difference between a Commander and a CCO style gun. Also, the DW has an alloy frame while the STI has a steel frame. I quite like the Bobtail grip, but I've held some other CCO's and like them too. I think you need to look at cost, availability, and how they feel your own hand. I don't think there's enough recoil from a 9mm to make that part of the decision.

Vern
very niiiice!!!!

brianfede
01-12-2012, 19:46
Well my new DW Heritage is so sweet that I decided that I must buy another DW, so now I just need to wait for a decent deal. Hope to see the prices come off a bit or maybe I can find a used one. Thanks for the responses.