7.5 x 55 Swiss reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 x 55 Swiss reloading

norton
01-07-2012, 10:19
Spent a pleasant Saturday morning shooting my K31 Swiss rifle. I currently do not have dies for this so I did a little investigation.
One site I found says only Redding makes dies that are specifically sized for the K31 as opposed to older Swiss rifles of the same caliber.
Anyone here reload this round? Apparently you can use .308 bullets, but most of the cases are Berdan primed.

Steve in PA
01-07-2012, 14:37
I reload for my K31, and I use RCBS dies. And yes, you can use .308 bullets. I shoot 150gr FMJ and 150gr SP in my rifle.

Skytow
01-07-2012, 15:10
One interesting quirk with the 7.5 X 55 is that in the K31 the original bullets were really "pointy" if you will. The overall length and bullet shape are critical and it is common for those new to reloading this round to have rounds that are too long and the bolt will NOT close!

When you get your dies make up a dummy round and start testing with the bullet you want to use and see what length will work for you. The data in the "book" often won't work on a K31.

I use RCBS dies IIRC and have no problems.

Here is some interesting information on the K31 and reloading:

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/loaddata.html

I really like the 168 Sierra HPBT MatchKing!

Here also is an interesting exchange on reloading for the K31:

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/6545/IMR-4895-Load-Data-for-K31#.Twi3baW0x2A

enjoy,

JD

Uncle Don
01-07-2012, 19:21
You are going to find that the freebore of your rifle will be very short. I haven't seen one yet that isn't. My suspicision is also that you'll find that "pointy" bullets don't shoot as accurately as flat nose of 150 or 170 grain (at least in lead).

To find your free bore, I recommend the following method which will get you very close without having to buy the expensive equipment except for a fine pencil and 5/16" dowel.

With the bolt out of the gun and the bullet you intend to use placed and held up against the lands and grooves of the barrel, place your dowel in from the muzzle until you feel it stop against the tip of the bullet. Mark this spot on the dowel from the muzzle end. Remove the bullet and repeat the procedure with the bolt in and closed. The distance between the two marks will be a close indicator of the maximum COL for that particular bullet.

As to the dies - mine are Lee and have worked well for years, but I think most manufacturers will meet your needs. For powder, I use Accurate 5744 and that is pretty common for lead, but find a load you like and have fun.

Forgot to ask - does it have a soldier tag?

norton
01-07-2012, 20:05
You are going to find that the freebore of your rifle will be very short. I haven't seen one yet that isn't. My suspicision is also that you'll find that "pointy" bullets don't shoot as accurately as flat nose of 150 or 170 grain (at least in lead).

To find your free bore, I recommend the following method which will get you very close without having to buy the expensive equipment except for a fine pencil and 5/16" dowel.

With the bolt out of the gun and the bullet you intend to use placed and held up against the lands and grooves of the barrel, place your dowel in from the muzzle until you feel it stop against the tip of the bullet. Mark this spot on the dowel from the muzzle end. Remove the bullet and repeat the procedure with the bolt in and closed. The distance between the two marks will be a close indicator of the maximum COL for that particular bullet.

As to the dies - mine are Lee and have worked well for years, but I think most manufacturers will meet your needs. For powder, I use Accurate 5744 and that is pretty common for lead, but find a load you like and have fun.

Forgot to ask - does it have a soldier tag?

Hi Don
Yes it does have a tag, but not an individuals name. I think it was a city, like Geneva. Will have to look again. Thanks for the info.

Crosshair_84
01-07-2012, 21:59
Only thing I can add to this is don't try to neck size. It's tempting to try given the expense and scarcity of brass. You CAN get it to chamber and fire, but you won't have the leverage to extract the case.