GSP Trooper kills Atlanta Braves trainer's wife has history of 'accidents' [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GSP Trooper kills Atlanta Braves trainer's wife has history of 'accidents'

RussP
01-07-2012, 12:40
The Georgia State Patrol Trooper who was involved in a wreck that killed the wife of Atlanta Braves Trainer Jeff Porter had a history of car accidents in his ten year history.

GSP Trooper had history of accidents (http://www.11alive.com/news/article/220800/8/DOWNTOWN--GSP-fires-Trooper-in-crash-that-killed-Braves-trainers-wife)

Why wasn't he fired earlier...

Fred Hansen
01-07-2012, 13:27
Some cops, and this guy sounds like one of them, feel they are above the citizens they serve.

I've never known anyone who has had that many accidents within that time frame, so I honestly don't know what sort of sanctions an ordinary peasant would face, but I would hope they would at least lose their license for (let's say 4) at fault accidents in a 10 year time frame. I also can't fathom how an ordinary peasant would be able to afford insurance with that kind of driving record.

Obviously they either let all criminally negligent/reckless people drive around with depraved indifference in the state of Georgia, or they cut some "special" people slack. It also really makes me wonder how many of the other accidents he was involved in got pinned on the other poor bastard(s) involved. I certainly hope that someone revisits the mind-boggling number of accidents he has had, and then perhaps do something to get this guy off the road.

Have you, or anyone on this board, heard/known of someone with this kind of driving record? It really astonishes me, and I'm no saint. :dunno:

boomhower
01-07-2012, 13:36
20 accidents in ten years is crazy. I don't know how he is still employees, especially with seven at fault.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

TheJ
01-07-2012, 13:52
Why wasn't he fired earlier...

That has to be the question on everyone's mind who read that. The optics on that are terrible. I'm surprised the guy still work for them too. I would imagine the liability attach to having an employee with a safety record like that must be tremendous.

Very sad for everyone involved. Can't imagine being that woman's family.

Mayhem like Me
01-13-2012, 10:13
He would have been fired after the third at fault if he worked at our agency,"Possibly" offered a job that did not require driving if one was available and he/she did not have other issues.

Some people cannot drive a police car and do what other things need to be done, get CAD updates and be alert 360..it is just too much for some people.
This guy had other issues as well horrible judgement and breaking state law by not using due care.

We had a lady Kill one of our deputies in an at fault accident and she got no jail time so I will be watching what happens to this case.

Mayhem like Me
01-13-2012, 10:17
I feel it is also important to say I do not know the extent of his other at fault accidents, If he backed into a ditch leaving a call and dented or scratched his car, that would count as an at fault accident for us so he may have accidents in that string that would really not raise a flag.

RussP
01-13-2012, 11:04
I've talked to cops who have accidents in their files. Most every one of them was the result of momentary inattention to the road. None of them match this guys frequency.