First G20SF Malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First G20SF Malfunction

4949shooter
01-07-2012, 13:30
Not a real big deal, but..

Was shooting Federal 180 grain stuff the range had, no problem. Shot some Winchester Silvertips no problem. Switched over to Hornady 180 grain XTP, and had an empty case hang up with the mouth of the case jammed into the top of the chamber opening. Any idea what could have caused it?

Not a huge deal but I am curious. I won't be carrying any Hornady 180 grain XTP either.

pizza_pablo
01-07-2012, 14:03
:popcorn:

4949shooter
01-07-2012, 14:33

I would have expected this type of response over in General Glocking.

Nice job.

Gary Davidson
01-07-2012, 15:33
Can you give a bit more information? Did you happen to take a picture of the malfunction? Was it the last cartridge in the magazine? If not, did the slide already strip the next cartridge from the magazine and try to feed it into the chamber when the malfunction occurred? How were the rest of the cases in that batch of XTP ammo being ejected? Were they being thrown out quite a distance from you, or were they barely ejected, landing close to you?

4949shooter
01-07-2012, 15:44
Can you give a bit more information? Did you happen to take a picture of the malfunction? Was it the last cartridge in the magazine? If not, did the slide already strip the next cartridge from the magazine and try to feed it into the chamber when the malfunction occurred? How were the rest of the cases in that batch of XTP ammo being ejected? Were they being thrown out quite a distance from you, or were they barely ejected, landing close to you?

It was not the last round in the mag, Gary. I cleared it and fired the magazine dry, so no pic. The slide was hung up on the case, and had not stripped the next round out of the mag. I locked the slide back, pulled out the mag, eased the slide back and dropped the case out of the ejection port, let the slide go forward, inserted the partially spent mag, manually cycled the slide and fired. There were no other problems with ejection, in the 350 rounds total I now have fired through the gun. The brass was not landing close to my feet, however I couldn't tell you how far it was being thrown because my son and I were firing on an indoor range in a port.

oceanbob
01-07-2012, 16:12
I would have to guess:

1. It's not the guns fault. Otherwise you would be having more problems than ONE.

2. It could be an under-powered round (under charged) from the factory. Not enough recoil to clear the case up and out.

3. It could be you rode the slide with your hand or finger slowing the slide down a bit. This prevents full ejection as well as other problems.

Be well, Bob

Gary Davidson
01-07-2012, 16:47
I was thinking along the same lines as oceanbob. Possibly an underpowered round. It could also be a magazine problem. It sounds like the slide did not go all the way back or was hampered by something that slowed it down. If you have more than one magazine, you might want to make note of which one you were using when you had the malfunction, in case the magazine was somehow slowing the slide down.

4949shooter
01-07-2012, 17:34
I had marked the magazine with tape after it happened. I took the tape off when we were done shooting and I didn't have any more problems. I guess I should have left it on.

Edit: Yes, now I remember shifting my grip around a lot trying to get comfortable. I haven't shot much during the holidays and didn't feel completely in sync. Perhaps I did hit the slide. Though I agree it could have been the round also.

Gary and Bob, thanks for the replies.

pizza_pablo
01-08-2012, 18:54
I would have expected this type of response over in General Glocking.

Nice job.

I don't have a 10mm, but want one, and I wanted to be able to find the thread easily.
Please accept my apology for having interest in your thread :upeyes:

4949shooter
01-08-2012, 19:31
I don't have a 10mm, but want one, and I wanted to be able to find the thread easily.
Please accept my apology for having interest in your thread :upeyes:

That's why people use the word "tagged." The popcorn symbol has a negative connotation to it.

SolidBrass
01-08-2012, 20:30
That's why people use the word "tagged." The popcorn symbol has a negative connotation to it.

I just click the "thread tools" tab and click "subscribe". :wavey:

alwaysshootin
01-08-2012, 23:32
I'm going with it was the ammo! One failure? Definitely, going with ammo related!

:supergrin::wavey::whistling:

21Carrier
01-08-2012, 23:38
I think OceanBob nailed it. Since the top round in the mag did not get stripped, that means the slide did not recoil all the way to the rear. Something kept it from doing so. That could have been your hands, or an underpowered round. I wouldn't worry about it until it happens repeatedly.

4949shooter
01-09-2012, 07:24
I just click the "thread tools" tab and click "subscribe". :wavey:

I'm going with it was the ammo! One failure? Definitely, going with ammo related!

:supergrin::wavey::whistling:

:supergrin:

I think OceanBob nailed it. Since the top round in the mag did not get stripped, that means the slide did not recoil all the way to the rear. Something kept it from doing so. That could have been your hands, or an underpowered round. I wouldn't worry about it until it happens repeatedly.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

pizza_pablo
01-09-2012, 16:28
I did not know this. Thanks for educating me. I thought it meant that I was standing by to see what occured.

4949shooter
01-09-2012, 16:51
I did not know this. Thanks for educating me. I thought it meant that I was standing by to see what occured.

Yep and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

XmmAUTO
01-09-2012, 22:18
This is why we never assume that a gun not even a Glock will function 100%
My G20SF has jammed 2 or 3 times. All of them I attribute to OAL being too long. My G20 also will stovepipe when there is no magazine in the gun.

I would like to stress that any time you have a malfunction such as Failure to feed, Failure to fire, Failure to extract or eject etc etc, you should clear such malfunction as though your life depends on it.
Train like you fight, Fight like you've trained.

Xmm

Glockz0r
01-10-2012, 04:33
I had one jam in my G20 (case got caught between the slide and the barrel length wise) but that was during a mag dump my first time out with 10mm so I'm pretty sure my grip had a lot to do with that malfunction.

4949shooter
01-10-2012, 15:47
I would like to stress that any time you have a malfunction such as Failure to feed, Failure to fire, Failure to extract or eject etc etc, you should clear such malfunction as though your life depends on it.
Train like you fight, Fight like you've trained.

Xmm

This is great advice, and is exactly why I didn't sit around looking at the malfunction, with the case stuck in the gun. I cleared it and continued. Also got my son to see me clear the gun and continue. A good lesson..

I had one jam in my G20 (case got caught between the slide and the barrel length wise) but that was during a mag dump my first time out with 10mm so I'm pretty sure my grip had a lot to do with that malfunction.

This sounds like the malfunction I had.