hydra-shoks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hydra-shoks

sps
01-07-2012, 16:19
I just finished a thread putting down hydra-shoks.
I'm curious as to dept.'s and other agencies still issuing
these???

Brad55102
01-07-2012, 16:29
Aren't Hydra Shoks old tech.?
Its the HST now

sps
01-07-2012, 17:21
Brad-yes hydra-shoks are to a certain degree. According to federal it is still a top seller
for leo and civilian. I was amazed at how many agencies still use them! Some have switched back to them.
I've heard rumors about winchester ranger ammo problems?

9mm +p+
01-07-2012, 17:44
Just because it's not the latest whiz bang bullet does not mean it won't work. Are they my first choice? Nope but I'd use them if it's what i had no problem. We get caught up way to often in the newest this and thatl ike 9BPLE. It's been putting folks on the ground for 30yrs, no whiz bang bullet just performance.

ponders
01-07-2012, 17:45
high rate of failure to expand with those

barth
01-07-2012, 17:55
Think Miami vice, big hair, halter tops, pastel colors.
Top rated in the 80s and will still work today but...
New high tech bullets (HST) with that expand at lower velocities.
Are bonded for limited core jacket separation through light barriers (auto glass / car doors).
And run fast burn, low flash, gunpowder for short barrel performance.
These are advantages are worth having.

There is a Federal LE Tactical® Hydra-Shok®.
And I don't know if it's been updated or not? (I'm thinking yes)
That may add to the confusion.

CATATOMIC
01-07-2012, 18:21
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they quit making them. I never liked them. I've seen the 45 230 Hydra Shok bounce off car doors before.

hotpig
01-08-2012, 13:21
Brad-yes hydra-shoks are to a certain degree. According to federal it is still a top seller
for leo and civilian. I was amazed at how many agencies still use them! Some have switched back to them.
I've heard rumors about winchester ranger ammo problems?They are still Federals top shelf cross over personal protection and LE round. So long as there is consumer demand they will still make it.

I'm a Ranger dealer, there is no tech bulletins or recent recalls on ammo right now.

fredj338
01-08-2012, 14:04
Many depts used to issue them, they were pretty good in their day. Yes, old tech, but they do still work, probably as well as any other, but they do cost more than most & that is going to win the contract @ the end of the day.

PghJim
01-09-2012, 02:02
I understand the source, but M&S were not promoting slow, heavy bullets. If there is any validity, it looks like a pretty good bullet design.

http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=18&Weight=230

Jdog
01-09-2012, 03:12
thats a cool link w/lots of cool data
thanks for sharing

interesting how the heavier grain 10mm rounds did less stopping

Glock19Fan
01-09-2012, 05:43
I cant list any offhand.

However, after being forced to carry FMJ, you have a new appreciation for JHPs. I would have no problem whatsoever carrying Hydrashoks in my weapon as long as I know they were reliable.

I have tested them in ballistic gelatin in the past (135 and 147 grain 9mm) and even through 4 layers of denim I had no bullets fail to expand.

FLglockdude
01-09-2012, 08:23
They are old technology, but they'll still punch holes in people just like the newest designs. That being said, it doesn't make sense to choose Hydrashoks when the newest designs that perform better and more reliably cost the same.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix

fredj338
01-09-2012, 09:39
They are old technology, but they'll still punch holes in people just like the newest designs. That being said, it doesn't make sense to choose Hydrashoks when the newest designs that perform better and more reliably cost the same.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix
In many cases cost less! Point, if you have a couple boxes of HydrSHok, they don't need to be thrown away. Many, many LEO & civ used them & still do to great affect today.

Quarter Tank
01-09-2012, 11:21
If and when I become LEO and my department issues HydraShocks, I will use them with confidence. They will penetrate and expand and put perps on the ground consistently

cadillacguns
01-10-2012, 02:43
I have a box of 50 left over from 1996, through them in the car trunk, can't seem to shoot them up, or throw them away.

ULVER
01-10-2012, 03:47
I still recall when they were "Scorpion" rounds. Pretty neat back then...:supergrin: Back then...:yawn:

In the 80's we had one agency issue the 124gr. +P+ Hydra-Shok in 9mm. It was way slow, quite lame, and didn't expand worth a fart, after what mattered.

Can't say it doesn't work, but have they updated the design, since I was a young man>?:dunno:

513GunGuy
01-10-2012, 04:30
I have no problems with hydra shocks. We carry them in our guns and they seem to work well. Truth being told we have not had an officer involved shooting in over 20 years. Not a whole lot of performance information to draw from.

JohnnyReb
01-13-2012, 22:24
There are better, and worse bullets. Many agencies around here used to issue the hydra-shok, but have since switched to other brands.

Merkavaboy
01-13-2012, 23:22
I still recall when they were "Scorpion" rounds. Pretty neat back then...:supergrin: Back then...:yawn:

In the 80's we had one agency issue the 124gr. +P+ Hydra-Shok in 9mm. It was way slow, quite lame, and didn't expand worth a fart, after what mattered.

Can't say it doesn't work, but have they updated the design, since I was a young man>?:dunno:

Many of the Hydra-Shok bullets in various calibers and weights have undergone redesigns over the years, especially regarding the center post in the HP cavity.

Note: when Tom Burczynski still held the rights to the Hydra-Shok, there were quite a few different rounds in different calibers. The Scorpion load was just one style in 38Spl. (146gr wadcutter style). There was also the UPL, UDL, Hunter, etc.

okie642
01-19-2012, 22:01
I use Hydra Shok in my guns and have no issues with them. Yes there are newer designs and such, but Hydra Shok has a decent track record. It is still going to punch a hole in someone and I don't have any hesitation about using them. I have found the Hydra Shok to be some of the most accurate rounds in my guns.

cciman
01-20-2012, 17:29
Interesting reading the most recent NRA- Rifleman mag.

It gives a history of the FBI's process of ammo evaluation over the past 30 years (Miami Vice era), and creation of a actual FBI department that tests ammo for FBI duty use.

You get struck right away with the fact that buying ammo is a crap shoot. Very few non-federal LEO agencies have the resources that the FBI has/had to test their ammo, yet the FBI history is not that impressive on its own- as you can see in this article. Due diligence is shockingly minimal in the early years.

Ultimately, most non-federal LEO departments and agencies rely on economics (low bid), and marketing to make their choices (assuming that the ammo manufacturer has tested the ammo to do what it is marketed to do). I am hoping that they have real objective data to go by for making their choices.

Quite mysterious as to how ammo gets chosen. Even from a consumer standpoint, there is minimal head to head testing (non-manufacturer testing), that help make your choice.

rhino673
01-20-2012, 18:06
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they quit making them. I never liked them. I've seen the 45 230 Hydra Shok bounce off car doors before.

What the the heck kind of car door are you shooting at? That seems kind of hard to believe that any 45 cap would bounce off a car door.:shocked:

CATATOMIC
01-25-2012, 16:53
What the the heck kind of car door are you shooting at? That seems kind of hard to believe that any 45 cap would bounce off a car door.:shocked:

I personally shot one out of a G21 at the back door of an old bus that was being used for training. The hydra shok bounced off and hit the dirt!!! A few years later I was standing next to an officer that shot one out of a Kimber 1911 at a standard car door just below the outside rear view mirror. It also bounced off and hit the dirt!!! I saw both of these with my own two eyes. It happened !!!

Glock Authority
01-25-2012, 21:01
I personally shot one out of a G21 at the back door of an old bus that was being used for training. The hydra shok bounced off and hit the dirt!!! A few years later I was standing next to an officer that shot one out of a Kimber 1911 at a standard car door just below the outside rear view mirror. It also bounced off and hit the dirt!!! I saw both of these with my own two eyes. It happened !!!
Wow! What was the car 200 yards away? :supergrin:

saltydog452
01-26-2012, 09:45
230 at 850 fps isn't likely to bounce of automotive sheet metal skin. The slug could have encountered some interior lockwork.

Everyone has their own tale to tell.

Mine is that Federal 230 Hydra-Shock has a history of reliability through my mags and out my guns.

During the ammo crunch after BHO was elected, it was available even the newer designs were not.

It might not be the flavor of the week, but it'll do.

salty