Collecting brass at the indoor range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Collecting brass at the indoor range

Thumpernator
01-07-2012, 20:06
How do you guys handle the situation where you and another shooter (complete stranger) are trying to collect your respective brass and you're both shooting the same caliber?

MightyTygart
01-07-2012, 20:08
Be cordial and come to an understanding. This is assuming that said individual can be reasonable.

TX Archer
01-07-2012, 20:16
I have only had one experience like this. Two guys were shooting from the same stall and much of our brass ended up in the same place. They obviously knew that they were getting much of mine and kicking it into their stall. I figured that it wasn't worth causing tension in order to save maybe a dollar's worth in brass. Since I was shooting a Glock and they weren't, the primers made it obvious which came from which gun so I made it clear I was checking and throwing theirs in their direction but keeping mine.

I might have become tense a few years ago but there are bigger things for me to worry about than something that small. If they felt they hit the lotto, I'm glad it made their day better.

PCJim
01-07-2012, 20:16
Same manufacture, too? If not, the headstamp can be used to determine the rightful owner. That is, if both parties are honest.

thorn137
01-07-2012, 20:27
More often than not, my problem is that people sweep up my brass and toss it. If I can dig it out of the bin on the way out, that's what I do; if not, I let the situation go... I wont let losing 100-200 brass ruin a nice day at the range.

thorn

F106 Fan
01-07-2012, 20:29
A lot of people mark the case heads with a Sharpie. Some use a straight line, some use an X or a Y, some use red, some use black. What you have to decide is whether recovering your brass is worth the time to mark it.

The other good reason for marking brass is to avoid picking up .45 ACP with small primers or 9mm with crimped primers. If you only pick up your own brass, you don't need to sort it.

Richard

Steve Koski
01-07-2012, 20:30
Scream, yell, pitch a fit, call the cops.

cowboy1964
01-07-2012, 20:31
I've been picking up a lot of small primer .45 ACP lately. Very annoying.

F106 Fan
01-07-2012, 20:37

It is annoying on my 550 but it is a huge PITA on my 1050 because the swage punch won't go into the pocket and the handle can't be fully lowered. Consequently, the case at station 1 may not get fully resized and the case at station 3 might not get the primer fully seated. It's a mess.

I try to pick up just my own brass but when I buy once-fired, I have to go through it very carefully. Even then, I miss a few; perhaps 4 out of the last 1000 have been small primer.

I just bought a box of Federal Champion in .45 ACP for my wife to shoot in my P220. She has only shot my reloads and I wanted her to see what factory ammo felt like (such as it is). What CRAP! The case head is concave (instead of flat) and it uses small primers. I'll have to watch where each case goes so I can keep them out of my stock. What a PITA!

And here I thought Blazer was all I had to worry about!

Richard

WiskyT
01-07-2012, 20:47
I don't tumble my brass. Dirty brass is very easy to discern from shiney brass.

GioaJack
01-07-2012, 20:48
If your brass is hitting the ground you're not closing the cylinder all the way.

Silly flatlanders.

Jack

shotgunred
01-07-2012, 21:02
I mark all my brass with an x. One side red one side black.

Taterhead
01-07-2012, 21:03
Be cordial and come to an understanding. This is assuming that said individual can be reasonable.

Good call. Most guys are pretty good sports about it as long as they don't think they are getting ripped off.

I did have a situation at an IDPA club match. Our matches are not lost brass so the squad each pitches in to tape targets and pickup the prior shooter's brass. I noticed that I was getting a minimal amount of brass back. Most was disappearing. I was the only person in my squad shooting 10mm so it was obvious that it was my brass. Then I noticed that one of the guys was just picking up my brass and putting it in his bag.

I casually asked him about it. He said that he doesn't load 10mm, but went on to explain the virtues of picking up whatever brass for trades, etc and was pretty jazzed to be finding all of this 10mm stuff. It took nearly 5 minutes to convince the idiot that it was my brass and that I would appreciate it if he would not follow me around and collect my brass.

He seemed confusesd about what I was asking. So I had to get blunt: "That 10mm brass in your bag is mine, and I want it back." He seemed a bit put off, because he thought he had found it fair and square. Knob. He did eventually capitulate and gave my dozens of rounds back while acting quite put out. Thankfully I only saw him the one time.

Usually though, guys are pretty agreeable if those involved are acting with an attitude of fairness.

G30Mike
01-07-2012, 21:06
The indoor range in my area doesn't allow people to pick up any brass past the firing line, even if there is noone else using the range at the time.
They like to keep it for themselves.
The outdoor range here is a treasure trove of once fired brass for the taking though.

snowwdog
01-07-2012, 21:07
If your brass is hitting the ground you're not closing the cylinder all the way.

Silly flatlanders.

Jack

:rofl:

JBnTX
01-07-2012, 21:57

Ain't that the truth?:steamed:

njl
01-07-2012, 23:24
If your ammo starts out in any sort of box that sits the cartridges nose down, it's really easy to run a sharpie over the case heads/primers, and that mark will survive firing (and even tumbling to some degree). If all your brass has a black/red/whatever sharpie stripe across the headstamp, it should be pretty simple to sort out.

bush pilot
01-07-2012, 23:44

Isn't this how most Koski family get togethers end?

Steve Koski
01-08-2012, 00:06
Word: The cops hate it when you ask them to separate your .40 from the next guy's .40.

meleors
01-08-2012, 02:17
Let me ask you think: Is it worth arguing with a man who is armed with a weapon, over a little brass?

mdsn969
01-08-2012, 02:20
I shoot a lot of the aluminum 9mm blazers... They can have it hahahahahaha...

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 06:13
If your ammo starts out in any sort of box that sits the cartridges nose down, it's really easy to run a sharpie over the case heads/primers, and that mark will survive firing (and even tumbling to some degree). If all your brass has a black/red/whatever sharpie stripe across the headstamp, it should be pretty simple to sort out.

Mark them on the inside, then pull them out of the other guys bucket, like they do with cards in a Western when they catch the dealer hidng an ace in his vest.

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 06:16
Let me ask you think: Is it worth arguing with a man who is armed with a weapon, over a little brass?

So all brass is communal? You sound like a freakin john lennon song, or was it vladmier lennon? Anyway, your on a slippery sloap here. Chuck Norris would never let some walk all over him like that.

dreis454
01-08-2012, 06:27
How do you guys handle the situation where you and another shooter (complete stranger) are trying to collect your respective brass and you're both shooting the same caliber?

You pick up what fell to your right & behind you & he does the same.

Ahmid
01-08-2012, 06:40
At the indoor range I go to it seems like no one picks up their brass. I only pick up my 357 sig, 10mm, and 45's. I let the 9's lay.

oldsoldier
01-08-2012, 07:09
I always find plenty of once fired pistol cases at the outdoor range I use. Most of it is 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The cops leave thousands of Federal .40 on the ground when they shoot there. I load .40 but already have large cardboard boxes full of the stuff stashed away. I'll never be able to use it all so I don't pick it up. I haven't bought pistol brass in many years. Rifle is a different story. I see a lot of the Wolf and Tula laying around but few brass cases. The cops even shoot Wolf. :crying: Once in a while I find a few hundered LC 5.56 but that's about it. The trap and skeet shooters leave literally barrels full of shells behind. I guess it isn't cost effective to reload them anymore. I think the range owners throw them away.

repo4sale
01-08-2012, 07:22
Finance, Stress & MEN:
A quote from my DAD, A Non-Com Sgt. US Army & 28yrs Reserve. Also a good real estate broker and investor.

Big Deals for BIG Men! Little Deals for LITTLE Men. Focus on the BIG deals...

Glockworks
01-08-2012, 07:27
Simple answer, in my area, I clean up. Till now I've thrown away in the brass bin. IF someone wants the brass, cool. I just bought a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) and was just thinking of now keeping my brass. So then, if in my stall, it is mine. If I come upon an OCD person, no need to argue, he/she can get what they must have to stay sane.

PCJim
01-08-2012, 07:55
Simple answer, in my area, I clean up. Till now I've thrown away in the brass bin. IF someone wants the brass, cool. I just bought a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) and was just thinking of now keeping my brass. So then, if in my stall, it is mine. If I come upon an OCD person, no need to argue, he/she can get what they must have to stay sane.

Unless you're very sloppy with your cylinder dumps, you shouldn't be having a problem keeping track of those 44mag cases. :whistling:

Glockdude1
01-08-2012, 08:16

http://i55.tinypic.com/14cqr1g.jpg

Sounds like you are finding .45 Blazer Brass.

:cool:

ponders
01-08-2012, 08:43
The outdoor range here is a treasure trove of once fired brass for the taking though.

Mine is too! the ground is like walking on streets paved of pure brass!:cool::cool::cool::cool::wavey:

spookmagnet
01-08-2012, 10:31

Do the best you can, and be prepared to give some up. I don't sweat it - I think of all the times I've scored big with brass some one else has left.

eracer
01-08-2012, 10:41
So all brass is communal? You sound like a freakin john lennon song, or was it vladmier lennon? Anyway, your on a slippery sloap here. Chuck Norris would never let some walk all over him like that.It's really too early to be as drunk as your horrific spelling indicates you may be...

Boxerglocker
01-08-2012, 12:03
Do the best you can, and be prepared to give some up. I don't sweat it - I think of all the times I've scored big with brass some one else has left.

:agree: It's the repeat offender range brass trolls that I don't tolerate. The one that hang out there all day long shoot 200 rounds of 22lr to scrounge everyone else brass.

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 12:21
It's really too early to be as drunk as your horrific spelling indicates you may be...

First, I don't drink. Second, intoxication has nothing to do with spelling. Jack is popping morphine like they are Skittles and he is an excellent speller. In fact, most authors are piss drunk when they write. Jimmy Breslin was DWI just waking up in the morning. Third, if the fact that I don't check my spelling on an internet gunboard bothers you, I don't care. I don't spell properly because I don't have to. When I did have to, I carried a dictionary in my briefcase or a pocket speller.

bush pilot
01-08-2012, 12:26
Word: The cops hate it when you ask them to separate your .40 from the next guy's .40.

They like it even less when you ask them if they're man enough to carry a .40.

AA#5
01-08-2012, 12:37
So all brass is communal? You sound like a freakin john lennon song, or was it vladmier lennon? Anyway, your on a slippery sloap here. Chuck Norris would never let some walk all over him like that.

Chuck Norris never has a problem recognizing his own brass.

When he arrives at the range, other shooters sweep all their brass off the ground, then they all apologize to him for being there & leave.

bush pilot
01-08-2012, 12:41

Hell yes, if it wasn't why would the cops take the time to flag every spent case at shooting scenes? Go over and try to pick-up the brass and see if they stop you.

JBnTX
01-08-2012, 12:49
I just make it clear to everyone right from the start that any brass that hits
the floor is MINE!:poke:

michael e
01-08-2012, 13:05
Have never had this problem. Get to range when they open, they give me as much space as they can between me and the others because they know I reload, I leave when it starts getting packed ( usually get 2 3 hours in already) . Only way it would be a real issue is lossing my 45GAP 10MM brass. But have yet to see anyone else shooting those at same time as me.

eracer
01-10-2012, 06:50
First, I don't drink. Second, intoxication has nothing to do with spelling. Jack is popping morphine like they are Skittles and he is an excellent speller. In fact, most authors are piss drunk when they write. Jimmy Breslin was DWI just waking up in the morning. Third, if the fact that I don't check my spelling on an internet gunboard bothers you, I don't care. I don't spell properly because I don't have to. When I did have to, I carried a dictionary in my briefcase or a pocket speller.
Hippies don't wash themselves because they don't have to.

Sgt. Rambo
01-10-2012, 07:46
I shoot a lot of the aluminum 9mm blazers... They can have it hahahahahaha...

Just a suggestion.... ALL metal is money... Save your aluminum and scrap it. Its easy money to make to buy more ammo. I save ALL my brass including .22s. I save the primary calibers for reloading and scrap the .22s and cracked/damaged casings. Yeah it may take a while but metal = money and I put all my scrap metal toward more guns/ammo. Just a suggestion.

ron59
01-10-2012, 08:32
As I shoot, I take a short break after every mag or two.... use my feet and corral any brass that went behind me and drag it back into my stall so there's no mistaking it's mine. Might even pick up a piece or two that went by the back wall my feet can't move and toss it in the little box. Takes all of a couple of seconds.

If you just stand and fire bullets continually, your muscles tire faster and it's harder to maintain focus on what you're doing. For me it's just that short break I need to stay fresh.

rpgman
01-10-2012, 08:40
Just a suggestion.... ALL metal is money... Save your aluminum and scrap it. Its easy money to make to buy more ammo. I save ALL my brass including .22s. I save the primary calibers for reloading and scrap the .22s and cracked/damaged casings. Yeah it may take a while but metal = money and I put all my scrap metal toward more guns/ammo. Just a suggestion.

I do the same.

Jon_R
01-10-2012, 08:52

About 2 months ago I showed up to shoot a USPSA match it was pretty early in the morning and in one of the bays on the picnic table was about 50 .308 Hornaday Match Brass in a pile sitting on the table. It felt like it was candid camera or something. Thank you very much brass gods. :)

PCJim
01-10-2012, 14:00
About 2 months ago I showed up to shoot a USPSA match it was pretty early in the morning and in one of the bays on the picnic table was about 50 .308 Hornaday Match Brass in a pile sitting on the table. It felt like it was candid camera or something. Thank you very much brass gods. :)

So THATS what happened to my brass.....

JK... :supergrin:

SigFTW
01-10-2012, 15:48
Our range built brass catchers at each station, it catches about 80%, the rest I pickup between one or 2 mags. Never had a problem with someone grabbing my brass.

At an indoor rang I once visited it had signs that said "DO NOT pick up your brass", lol, like that stopped me!

Thumpernator
01-10-2012, 16:22
Anyone use one these Brass Wizards? http://shellsorter.com/page15/page15.html

MrVvrroomm
01-10-2012, 16:44
How do you guys handle the situation where you and another shooter (complete stranger) are trying to collect your respective brass and you're both shooting the same caliber?You have a gun, right? Settle it like men.

F106 Fan
01-10-2012, 16:49
Anyone use one these Brass Wizards? http://shellsorter.com/page15/page15.html

Yes, we have two. They are actually called a Nut Wizard and they are intended for picking up nuts in an orchard.

I bought them from Dillon and I have no idea how the price compares with anywhere else.

If the ground is at all hard, they work great. Sunday, the range had been covered with new pea gravel that was very fine and not compacted. They didn't work so well as the brass just settled in the gravel. We still got the vast majority but I recall watching as some brass drifted out of sight.

I'm an old man and crawling around on my hands and knees is not the fun it used to be.

Richard

OctoberRust
01-10-2012, 17:06
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

skeeter7
01-11-2012, 00:31
I have multiple 5 gallon buckets of 40S&W brass in my basement just so I don't have to worry about the few pieces I would lose to a situation like this. But anyway, I usually ask the guys as they come in if they are keeping their brass. If they say yes, then I politely ask if they can wait for 2 minutes to shoot while I sweep up everything that is mine on the floor. Then I would just move a few stalls down from them and sort it out later.

WiskyT
01-11-2012, 04:56
I have multiple 5 gallon buckets of 40S&W brass in my basement just so I don't have to worry about the few pieces I would lose to a situation like this. But anyway, I usually ask the guys as they come in if they are keeping their brass. If they say yes, then I politely ask if they can wait for 2 minutes to shoot while I sweep up everything that is mine on the floor. Then I would just move a few stalls down from them and sort it out later.

Admit it, it still bothers you a little when some 40 brass doesn't come home with you. I have buckets of it and still try harder than I need to to get it all back.

Bren
01-11-2012, 05:19
I just stay out of indoor ranges. If it's that or not shooting, I don't shoot.

eclark53520
01-11-2012, 07:12

Let me ask you think(whatever that means): Is it worth shooting someone over some brass?

If i thought the guy next to me was the type of person to shoot another human being over brass, i wouldn't be shooting next to them.

JayPap
01-13-2012, 16:23
Fire one warning shot over thier heads. If this does not work wing em.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:35
From someone who doesn't reload ......yet. I'd actually encourage someone recycling my brass.So I don't mind your asking if I want mine,but wait til I'm done to sweep or pick it up.

skeeter7
01-14-2012, 04:07
Admit it, it still bothers you a little when some 40 brass doesn't come home with you. I have buckets of it and still try harder than I need to to get it all back.

It does bother me a little because of how much work I had to do to hoard it all. I try my best trying to get it all back but I try to tell myself that most of the brass I have was stuff that I took off the range floor that belonged to someone else...the least I can do is not sweat losing a few pieces.

kshutt
01-14-2012, 05:51
I've turned into a real freak over the whole brass issue. I shoot in the same stall every time, and it's the one closest to the corner. All of my brass is usually close together, and I pick it up after every magazine! I know, I know, but wait it gets worse! I can usually take back as much once-fired 9mm or 45acp that I so desire, if I want to dedicate myself to a little range clean-up before I leave. You see, at the range I frequent you're supposed to leave the area clean and swept before you leave. The owner loves me because he sees me occasionally "helping to keep the range clean" after others leave and don't sweep up! It's a disease people, a disease! :supergrin: Oh yeah, I don't have to compete with anyone for my brass. Mine's in the corner!

dbarry
01-14-2012, 07:54
how do you guys handle the situation where you and another shooter (complete stranger) are trying to collect your respective brass and you're both shooting the same caliber?

hey! Look over there - it's elvis!

PCJim
01-14-2012, 09:06
Hoarding brass? Hoarding? Who's hoarding????
Um, let me see if I can store a few more of these orange HD buckets over here in this corner.. :cool: