Question about Primers for reloads in a Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Primers for reloads in a Glock

Lord270
01-07-2012, 21:19
Hey everyone I want to know what yall use for your primers in your reloads especially ones to be used in a Glock. I use CCI primers in my rifle reloads but have heard not to use CCI in Glock reloads cause they are so hard to ignite using Glock firing pins which do yall use. federal, winchester, or what

F106 Fan
01-07-2012, 21:21
I have a G21SF so I use Federal Large Pistol primers.

Some stores will sell primers in a box of 100. Why not just try some? I think if the springs are all stock, CCI primers will work fine. But I don't know that!

Richard

cysoto
01-07-2012, 21:22
...heard not to use CCI in Glock reloads cause they are so hard to ignite using Glock firing pins...

Those who have told you that have no idea what they are talking about. I've been using CCI primers in all of my Glocks for years and have never had an issue. I also know many other shooters who use CCI primers in their Glocks and, again, absolutely no issues.

Oh yeah and this is with Competition springs installed...

XDRoX
01-07-2012, 21:23
Hey everyone I want to know what yall use for your primers in your reloads especially ones to be used in a Glock. I use CCI primers in my rifle reloads but have heard not to use CCI in Glock reloads cause they are so hard to ignite using Glock firing pins which do yall use. federal, winchester, or what

I've used Win, CCi, and Wolf SPP in 9mm for my three glocks. I've only used a few hundred Win, but thousands of CCI and Wolf. I've never had a failure to ignite ever.

So I wouldn't worry about it. Get whatever is cheap.

Smoker
01-07-2012, 21:26
I've not had any problems in my 32 with them.

GioaJack
01-07-2012, 21:29
Don't take any chances, this is your safety we're talking about... buy a 1911.

Jack

ron59
01-07-2012, 22:08
Those who have told you that have no idea what they are talking about. I've been using CCI primers in all of my Glocks for years and have never had an issue. I also know many other shooters who use CCI primers in their Glocks and, again, absolutely no issues.

Oh yeah and this is with Competition springs installed...

I would have told him that... at least with competition springs. I had no problems with a stock striker spring, but do with Wolff spring. I have several bricks of CCI sitting on my shelf as I won't use them because of it. I would get 7-8 light strikes PER 100 rounds with the CCI. I get 100% reliability with Federal, but not CCI.

Charlie Vanek is known for his Glock trigger kits. I bought one, it came with TWO reduced power striker springs, of different "strengths". His instructions indicated the weakest one (yielding lightest trigger pull) could very possibly have light primer strikes with non-Federal primers, and if that occurred, to either switch to Federal primers or to use the second spring which should take care of the problem.

It is NOT just a myth. It happens.

Are you using a lightened striker too? Because if you are, that's not comparing apples-to-apples. I'm still using the stock striker.

Zombie Steve
01-07-2012, 22:09
Should I be the guy to point out that a glock has a striker and not a firing pin?

I suppose I should.

I use CCI for just about everything, which includes glocks.

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2012, 22:12

I use CCI. Even with my G34 and a reduced powder firing pin spring. 100% if seated properly. THAT is the important part. Some presses just will not fully seat them properly. Both my 550 and 650 do it perfectly. But even some people with a Dillon have issues with combo. YMMV.

XDRoX
01-07-2012, 22:15
I've not had any problems in my 32 with them.

You have 32 Glocks? :wow:

Steve Koski
01-07-2012, 22:17

Exactly.

shotgunred
01-07-2012, 22:19
I have had several CCI primers with decent fireing pin dings that didn't go off. But several out of thousands so not enough to worry about.

Wash-ar15
01-07-2012, 22:25
I have shot 2k of CCI through my G34 with a reduced spring without problems.

dkf
01-07-2012, 22:40
You have 32 Glocks? :wow:

Probably a G32.

Lord Grey Boots
01-07-2012, 22:42
I have had problems with WLP in my Glock model 30.

Federal 150 work fine though.

D. Manley
01-07-2012, 22:45
Should I be the guy to point out that a glock has a striker and not a firing pin?

I suppose I should.

I use CCI for just about everything, which includes glocks.

Nitpicking but while logic may seem to tell you it's a striker, it is quite properly referred to as a firing pin...this, according to any Glock parts list you care to check.

To the OP's question, the information above is absolutely right, if you're running a stock setup there are no issues with virtually any primer brand you choose. If you are running a tweaked out gun with a lightened FP spring then go to the "primer of the gods", Federal. Winchester is a close second for easy, reliable 2nd choice and everything else takes just a tad more "whack" than those.

Crosshair_84
01-07-2012, 22:45
Are you talking about using pistol or rifle primers in your glock reloads?

During the "shortage" in 2008 many people started using rifle primers in pistol ammo, including myself. It works perfectly fine, with properly adjusted powder charges, with Winchester or Remington primers, but CCI rifle primers caused occasional misfires in my P-89. They fired on the second strike though. (Go DA/SA trigger.)

Lord270
01-07-2012, 22:57
Well I use a factory stock spring and I am looking at CCI pistol primers or Federal primers

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2012, 23:06
Well I use a factory stock spring and I am looking at CCI pistol primers or Federal primers

Speer makes CCI. No reason to not use CCI in a stock spring Glock.

ron59
01-07-2012, 23:19

I'd buy the CCIs then. They're usually quite cheaper, and are a *potentially* a problem only if you start adding aftermarket parts.

As you read above, several swear "there isn't an issue", but I've load over 40,000 rounds with my 550. I've never had a Federal misfire. I never had a CCI misfire back when my gun was completely stock. After adding a Wolff spring, I was getting 6-7 light strikes per 100, and that happened through 2000-3000 of them (practice only, woudn't use them for a match). I got tired of even that, and plan on picking up a .380 one day and reloading for it, I'll save them for that gun.

The moral of the story:
Stock gun, no problems with CCIs that I've ever read.
There is *potential* for problems with CCIs if you lighten the striker spring.

Zombie Steve
01-07-2012, 23:37
I hate the Federals if for no other reason the packaging makes me want to pull Jack's hair out.

cole
01-08-2012, 00:28
I've had issues (hits without detonation) with old red box CCI SPP, as well as CCI SPPM, SRP and SRPM in Glocks. They all run fine in my hammer-fired guns. Fact is hammer-fired plain hits with more force.

DWARREN123
01-08-2012, 03:21
I use CCI #500 SPP now for my stock Glock G22. I have used Federal, Winchester, Magtech and Remington, does not seem to be much difference to me. :supergrin:

firefighter4215
01-08-2012, 03:29
Here's another guy who has had zero problems using CCI 500s in a stock Glock 22 and 27.

rpgman
01-08-2012, 05:40
I use both CCI n WINCHESTER in my Glocks.
A G27 Gen 4, G17 Gen 3, and a G34 Gen3 with no issues.
And buy them both by the thousands.
Greg

mizer67
01-08-2012, 08:40
If you're running CCIs with a reduced power spring, you're near the edge of reliability. It might work. You might have a few light strikes.

I wouldn't attempt this combo with an LNL AP. My Dillon gives primers a little crush and they ignite more reliably. I've had 2 light hits in the last 5,000 rounds of CCIs I've fired with a 4.5 lb spring in the gun. That could be operator error as well.

Boxerglocker
01-08-2012, 09:07
If you're running CCIs with a reduced power spring, you're near the edge of reliability. It might work. You might have a few light strikes.

I wouldn't attempt this combo with an LNL AP. My Dillon gives primers a little crush and they ignite more reliably. I've had 2 light hits in the last 5,000 rounds of CCIs I've fired with a 4.5 lb spring in the gun. That could be operator error as well.

Your Dillon isn't crushing the primers... it's fully seating them to the correct depth as opposed to your other press.

I use Wolf and CCI SSP's with my G34, 3.5# Rocket connector, and competition spring kit. I can't recall a light primer strike that couldn't be
proven to be reloader error in not ensuring the primers were fully seated. My G19 and 4th gen G26 have stock springs and have been flawless with all primers.

ALBin517
01-09-2012, 07:03
Glock 34 - Vanek connector - Federal Small Pistol Primers

100% through 1000 rounds

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 07:11
Once upon a time, people on this forum accused me of being overly critical of the LnL because mine would not seat primers. Now we see plenty of others say the same as me. It's funny how things change.

Beanie-Bean
01-09-2012, 08:24
I've just used CCI 500 and 300, along with Winchester LP on my 550. No problems, but my guns have stock internal springs. I think that the seating of the primer has more to do with it than the particular brand.

What are you reloading on? I've found that if you give the Dillon the same amount of push when priming, they'll all pretty much come out uniformly seated.

Are the problems you guys are seeing on custom/hot-rodded/modified guns? I haven't done any customization on any of mine, except for night sights, so I'm interested to see what works for different configs.

Thanks!

unclebob
01-09-2012, 08:50
I would say if you are going to shoot competition use Federal primers. If you are only using for plain range punching holes in paper get whatever is cheaper. It is no big deal if a round does not fire. I have only used Winchester and Federal primers in Glocks. A couple of years ago we got a batch of bad Winchester primers both large and small pistol. Since then we have all gone to Federal primers with do problems since then.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 08:51
Your Dillon isn't crushing the primers... it's fully seating them to the correct depth as opposed to your other press.

I use Wolf and CCI SSP's with my G34, 3.5# Rocket connector, and competition spring kit. I can't recall a light primer strike that couldn't be
proven to be reloader error in not ensuring the primers were fully seated. My G19 and 4th gen G26 have stock springs and have been flawless with all primers.

I've just used CCI 500 and 300, along with Winchester LP on my 550. No problems, but my guns have stock internal springs. I think that the seating of the primer has more to do with it than the particular brand.

What are you reloading on? I've found that if you give the Dillon the same amount of push when priming, they'll all pretty much come out uniformly seated.

Are the problems you guys are seeing on custom/hot-rodded/modified guns? I haven't done any customization on any of mine, except for night sights, so I'm interested to see what works for different configs.

Thanks!

If you put a light weight striker spring inside a glock you need to be much more careful with primer seating and primer selection.

Beanie-Bean
01-09-2012, 08:59
If you put a light weight striker spring inside a glock you need to be much more careful with primer seating and primer selection.

Thanks, C4W. Appreciate the feedback.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 09:08
For the record I use CCI in my competition glock.

Hogpauls
01-09-2012, 10:18
I have only used CCIs and I've had not one problem with them in my Gen2 G23 and Gen3 G30 and G20.

Lord270
01-09-2012, 11:09
Ok. Thanks everybody. My Glock is still factory specs on everything. I am going to use the CCI's cause they are cheaper and I can get them in bulk where I shop at