9mm 147 gr. Gold Dot vs 45acp 230 gr. Magtech [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 147 gr. Gold Dot vs 45acp 230 gr. Magtech

MAGNUMMAN
01-08-2012, 06:46
What do you think would be:
1. The best defense round; and
2. The most controlable in the Beretta PX9 and PX45 pistols.

The 9mm 147 gr. Gold Dot (985 fps & 317 ft lbs) or the 45acp 230 gr. semi wadcutter Magtech (780 fps & 310 ft lbs).

BuckyP
01-08-2012, 07:23
What do you think would be:
1. The best defense round; and
2. The most controlable in the Beretta PX9 and PX45 pistols.

The 9mm 147 gr. Gold Dot (985 fps & 317 ft lbs) or the 45acp 230 gr. semi wadcutter Magtech (780 fps & 310 ft lbs).

I say the Gold Dot. You are comparing a premium defense load to an economical practice round. YMMV.

G19aps
01-08-2012, 08:51
+1 Gold Dot

cowboy1964
01-08-2012, 13:43
What they said.

Glolt20-91
01-09-2012, 14:43
The SWC design is considered to be
outside the parameters of self defense ammo.

NG VI
01-09-2012, 19:34
What everyone else said.

Also, ignore muzzle energy figures as it pertains to service pistol calibers. It's meaningless as long as the loads are using a well-designed bullet and are within the normal range of weight+velocity for the caliber. 780 FPS for a 230 grain .45 puts it a little slower than I would want out of a defense .45 load, that's target-load speeds for that caliber and weight, and the bullet isn't something I'd use for defense if I had the ability to use something better suited.

MAGNUMMAN
01-11-2012, 03:38

Could you please cite a source for this assertion? Somebody needs to wake up Elmer Kieth from the dead and inform him his 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum & 45 Colt SWC self defense loads are considered outside the parameters of self defense ammo.

BuckyP
01-11-2012, 04:56
Could you please cite a source for this assertion? Somebody needs to wake up Elmer Kieth from the dead and inform him his 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum & 45 Colt SWC self defense loads are considered outside the parameters of self defense ammo.

1. Elmer Keith used lead, which has some ability to Flatten.
2. Gold Dots, SXTs, etc were not available in his time. If they were, I'm sure he'd choose those.

MAGNUMMAN
01-11-2012, 07:32
1. Elmer Keith used lead, which has some ability to Flatten.
2. Gold Dots, SXTs, etc were not available in his time. If they were, I'm sure he'd choose those.

When you said SWC were outside of the self defense paramters, you did not specify whether lead or FMJ. Elmer Kieth used hard alloy SWC. Hollow point jacked bullets existed when Elmer was alive, but he did not use them. Saying that you are sure he would use Gold Dots, SXt, etc. is just absurd!!! What facts do you base that on?
:faint:

BuckyP
01-11-2012, 07:53

When you said SWC were outside of the self defense paramters, you did not specify whether lead or FMJ. Elmer Kieth used hard alloy SWC. Hollow point jacked bullets existed when Elmer was alive, but he did not use them. Saying that you are sure he would use Gold Dots, SXt, etc. is just absurd!!! What facts do you base that on?
:faint:

Please note, I never said this, you are misquoting me: see above.

Hollow points of today are much improved over those from that time. Bonded hollow points offer much better penetration and less fragmentation from designs of years past. I will restate then, that "I strongly believe" he would choose a modern hollow point. Perhaps he may even consider the liability of reloading ammo in today's litigious society. Then again, maybe not.

And with that, if you have such a strong opinion on the matter, why are you even asking the question? Seems like your trying to justify an opinion that no one is coming forth to support. :dunno:

Ok, yes, yes, the Mag Tech SWC would be far superior. That is why so many police agencies issue it. Is that good?

:outtahere: