Shooting gloves? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting gloves?

rcd567
01-08-2012, 13:14
I have arthritis in both my hands. I take some meds for it, along with all the other broken bones I acquired over a lifetime of Police work. Doc says it would help if I wore a pair of tight fitting gloves. Suppose to heat them up & keep the blood moving.

Any of you guys were shooting gloves? What kind? And where to get them?

I truely appreciate all the time and input you folks have shared with me.:thumbsup:

nickE10mm
01-08-2012, 13:26
I have arthritis in both my hands. I take some meds for it, along with all the other broken bones I acquired over a lifetime of Police work. Doc says it would help if I wore a pair of tight fitting gloves. Suppose to heat them up & keep the blood moving.

Any of you guys were shooting gloves? What kind? And where to get them?

I truely appreciate all the time and input you folks have shared with me.:thumbsup:

I personally use some cheap deerskin work gloves I got at Walmart. Lowe's and Home Depot has some too. Cabela's sells shooting gloves but none jumped out at me (for my price point) so I went with cheap. These cheapos are great once you break em in.

4949shooter
01-08-2012, 14:53
I got the cabelas, the kind with the finger tips exposed. I normally whear them when I am firing my S&W ..44 mag, but I wear them when I am shooting outdoors in the cold also. They are tight fitting, and fit me well. If I recall, there is a sizing chart.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Leather-Handgun-Gloves/725699.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dshooting%2Bgloves%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D21%26y%3D4&Ntt=shooting+gloves&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you read the reviews, they will help you with sizing.

IGotIt
01-08-2012, 15:01
I use the leather open finger "biker type" gloves with an adjustable strap on the wrist. I've had them so long I don't remember where I bought them. Maybe Wilsons Leather? I'm sure you can find them on line by a google search.

67November
01-08-2012, 15:04
I was just thinking about using gloves this past week. I went to the range yesterday and tried some driving gloves. Those seemed to work well for me. The ones I used are full-finger, but I can imagine that open would also work. As long as they're very thin and supple.

YMMV

Kegs
01-08-2012, 16:08
Any of these will work fine. Some of the open finger gloves have leather palms to absorb a little bit of the shock. I have a pair of those. I have a pair of cheap gloves I have no idea where I bought them with leather in the hands and black fabric elsewhere (full finger). Those work great for the cold shooting.

I also use some black leather driving gloves - you can get these from Wally world usually for $10 or so. Nothing fancy, you know you've got the right kind when it has a thinsulate 40g tag on the inside near the wrist collar. These really take the sting out of repetitive hot rounds.

Up here in the cold, you need gloves to keep frostbite away. For a set of tight gloves to enhance circulation, I would at least consider isotoner gloves...though they are not as insulative.

527varmint
01-10-2012, 01:00
Cabelas shooting gloves about 20 bucks and work great! I use them when using the glock with the 22lr kit because my thumbs become raw from loading 500 rounds into the clip in one session! I use them for all my shooting and hunting in mild weather. Have thicker ones for cold weather.

blackgun556
01-10-2012, 04:22
The mechanic gloves at walmart or any auto part store.
Work great.

robert91922
01-10-2012, 05:53
I bought mine on Ebay, combination of leather and spandex material, highly recommended:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200681953389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When choosing size from this seller take XL if your hands are L and/or take XXL if hands are XL - my own experience. They are thin enough for some touchy-feely operations like operating phone or field stripping a gun.

But, for shooting 44 magnum or hot 10 auto rounds I use tougher leather gloves, lined with Spectra or Kevlar. Affordable/good gloves can be bought on eBay, just take a look.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=leather+spectra+gloves&_sacat=See-All-Categories

nickE10mm
01-10-2012, 06:11
For a set of tight gloves to enhance circulation, I would at least consider isotoner gloves...though they are not as insulative.

Exactly, ... most people don't realize that any gloves or boots that are too tight will actually make you COLDER due to restricting blood flow. Many people like a tight fit when it comes to gloves (especially for shooting) but obviously, this trait is the opposite of what you want in the cold.

whiskey rebel1
01-10-2012, 06:29
From what I've read on other forums, professional G.I. types use these. http://camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Gloves.aspx

rcd567
01-10-2012, 09:04
From what I've read on other forums, professional G.I. types use these. http://camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Gloves.aspx

Today I'm pretty slow speed, high drag. About thirty years ago, after breaking one of my hands, my Sgt. sat down beside me in the locker room and shook his head. "Your not real bright are you?" I just sort of looked at him and he said, "We give you all these neat things to hit people with and your still using your hands."

He got up and walked away. After that I tried real hard to use something I generally already had in my hand...a Maglite. :wavey:

Think of this little animation in reverse:faint:...instead of the falling and the word THUD appearing. Think of the word THUD appearing, then the guy falling over.:supergrin:

Taterhead
01-10-2012, 10:38
I have a nice pair of lined Wilson's leather gloves that are warm but thin. They fit well in the trigger guard. Form fitting, but not tight. They have been surprisingly durable.

spitboy
01-10-2012, 17:08
Up here in the cold, you need gloves to keep frostbite away. For a set of tight gloves to enhance circulation, I would at least consider isotoner gloves...though they are not as insulative.

With your hot loads I would think the heat from the barrel would keep one hand warm! :rofl:

oldsoldier
01-10-2012, 18:28
I bought some expensive gloves from Cabellas and only used them once for shooting. They are too thick for pistol shooting. They do work out good as winter driving gloves though. I buy mechanix brand gloves from Lowe's for shooting. They have a lot of different types and the prices aren't bad. They last a long time too.

Chainlink
01-14-2012, 08:47
Sears has a mechanics glove I like and I got some work out gloves fingerless (ie: biking, lifting, rowing) that work pretty well. I don't wear gloves while shooting much but I know sometimes I should practice and so I practice with what I wear day to day.

tlen
01-14-2012, 21:55
Past shooting gloves are the ticket as they are padded. They are also pretty expensive. Try a pair of weigh lifter's or biking gloves first. They are also padded and much more reasonable cost wise. Shop WMT first......