Bodyarmor Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bodyarmor Question

Metro566
01-08-2012, 19:18
Ok I purchased a new vest because the department I work for is switching to the new level III's. Question I'm having is this; is it normal for the neck to plunge this low on a vest? My last vest was nearly right up to my throat...as it stands this drops to my collarbone. I was told that this vest is made this way in order to prevent it throat-punching you when you sit down....but it feels a bit off. I can return it if need be since it's only a few days old.

Thanks guys

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8600/vesty.jpg

Wonder140
01-08-2012, 19:28
Ok I purchased a new vest because the department I work for is switching to the new level III's. Question I'm having is this; is it normal for the neck to plunge this low on a vest? My last vest was nearly right up to my throat...as it stands this drops to my collarbone. I was told that this vest is made this way in order to prevent it throat-punching you when you sit down....but it feels a bit off. I can return it if need be since it's only a few days old.

Thanks guys

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8600/vesty.jpg

That's exactly how my vest sits on me. I never had one sit as high as you say. Couldn't imagine that...

Your agency doesn't pay for your vest?? Yeek, there are grants out there for agencies to do this...

Patchman
01-08-2012, 19:28
By no means am I anything expert on how bullet resistant vests should fit, but I think the neckline plunges a little to deep. Also, the area under the armpits could be more covered.

Does the dealer have different sized and cut vests to try out?

JDMitchell
01-08-2012, 19:33
I know my ABA and Spectra vests both cover a little more than the one in your picture. I would try to get refitted if I were you.

Metro566
01-08-2012, 19:34
The next size up is a bit too big....but yes I was a little concerned about the neckline. Their answer was to "wear it up higher"...but then it sits 4-5 fingers off my belt line instead of the recommended 2 finger-width. I'd be willing to wear it higher but would have to order the next length up which would be a Xtra Long (right now I wear a 46-Long)...the last thing I want is a GSW to the stomach. A colostomy bag and the worst pain in the world aren't worth it to me.

larry_minn
01-08-2012, 20:30
Not a LEO, do not wear a vest very often. (thank goodness) I did sit in with a team at a body armor vendor a few yrs back. (mainly looking at ideas for a front opening vest/storm flap of armor to make that weak spot a strong spot.

So just a personal observation. As you hinted. The more coverage you can get without being so uncomfortable you will take it off whenever possible....

It seems almost weekly I hear (on news, online,etc) of a Officer, other vest wearer who is severly injured/killed because the bullet went just off edge of vest. I was told to buy the best fitting vest I could afford.

collim1
01-08-2012, 20:42
I know my ABA and Spectra vests both cover a little more than the one in your picture. I would try to get refitted if I were you.

I agree. That two or three inches where you are not covered would make you DRT with a hit. That is not a good place for a bullet.

My vest has never hit me in the adams apple, and it covers the area in between my collarbones.

Agent6-3/8
01-08-2012, 22:33
If I'm looking at that pic correctly, its way too low, IMO. The top looks like its nearly down to the top of your sternum.

msu_grad_121
01-08-2012, 22:42
Add another vote for it being too low. I've seen V-neck vests before (granted, few and far between), but nothing like that. Seems like they just sorta threw what they had at you.

Then again, I'm that goof that will give up a great deal of comfort for that extra half inch of protection, because hey, you just never know, am I right?

tusk212
01-08-2012, 22:53
Is that a Point Blank Vision series?

Agent6-3/8
01-08-2012, 22:58
Then again, I'm that goof that will give up a great deal of comfort for that extra half inch of protection, because hey, you just never know, am I right?

You're absolutely right! I know one officer that would likely still be alive if his vest had covered just a bit more... :crying:

collim1
01-08-2012, 23:01
You're absolutely right! I know one officer that would likely still be alive if his vest had covered just a bit more... :crying:

I am due for a new vest and considering getting my new vest with no overlap as the several inches of overlap in my current vest is very uncomfortable.

My only worry is that I wont have protection on the sides.

lawman800
01-09-2012, 00:26
It's a bit low for my tastes. When I wear my duty shirt, the vest should be visible right above the open V-portion of the neckline. Doesn't look like yours is.

steveksux
01-09-2012, 00:40
I'm not a cop or a doctor, but looks like the top area doesn't really cover the thoracic cavity too well. I know there's some stuff in that open area I wouldn't want to get shot in.

Also I seem to remember some Detroit officer getting shot under the arm on a raid, and that round being fatal, it missed his vest. So I have to say it seems kind of low under the arms as well.

Randy

pal2511
01-09-2012, 03:23
If I get shot and it misses my vest by an inch there probably wasnt much I could have done anyhow. I think your vest is cut too low though. Love my USarmor vest and hated the representative I have though.

COLOSHOOTR
01-09-2012, 03:32
Wow that is cut way too low! My vest has a very small cut out for the thoat area. Is that a custom fit vest like the US Armor ones or just a generic size? If it's the former the person who measured you F'd up bad.

It should look like this.... (Custom fit US Armor IIIA vest)
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/COLOSHOOTR/bodyarmorfit.jpg

Goldendog Redux
01-09-2012, 04:09
I'd take a v-neck over the Point Blank Vision piece of crap that strangles me and jabs my armpits. I guess my vest affords a lot of protection but I hate it. That uncomfortable piece of crap is after it was re-fit for me.

MF

Deployment Solu
01-09-2012, 04:59
My last vest was a Safariland Zero G Gold. I was measured for it. It did take a little getting used to for the reasons you mentioned, but it did seam to cover more of the areas than your pic. I'd see what else you can get. Comfort vs protection is a trade off, but, that doesn't look quite right to me. BTW, how much sitting do you do?? Lots of time in a squad requires some comfort.

BIGGUNS911
01-09-2012, 05:06
Wow that is cut way too low! My vest has a very small cut out for the thoat area. Is that a custom fit vest like the US Armor ones or just a generic size? If it's the former the person who measured you F'd up bad.

It should look like this.... (Custom fit US Armor IIIA vest)
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/COLOSHOOTR/bodyarmorfit.jpg

Were do you get the long acoustic tube for your radio? I like the way you have that set up but I would need a long tube like you have to make my unit work.

I 100% agree the OP's vest is cut way to low. Send it back and get the right cut. You will have to be in it for servral years :faint:.

Metro566
01-09-2012, 06:58
Yeah it's going back today. Thanks for all the advice and reaffirming my suspicions. Stay safe out there!

CJStudent
01-09-2012, 07:03
That looks way low to me, and cut way in on the sides, too. It almost looks like they gave you the long version of a size too small. Does it overlap at all on the sides?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jnc36rcpd
01-09-2012, 07:57
I agree. The neck is cut too low and there is too much exposure at the armpits.

If the vest company is talking "sizes", you might look into purchasing your own SBA from a company that actually sizes you.

Metro566
01-09-2012, 08:03
I'm just going to have them order the extra long...next size up since there is no overlap. This company doesnt do custom sizing and its about the only one within a looong drive time. I think one size up each way will work out...give me an extra couple inches on length and on the sides

Goldendog Redux
01-09-2012, 12:11
Be careful on the length. You don't want it up in your throat when you are sitting. From your pic, the length you have looks fine.

actionshooter10
01-09-2012, 17:44
The top of your vest should go from your navel to your jugular notch in the front. The back should cover from the prominient top vertebrae to just above your beltline. The sides should overlap approx 2 inches and the vest should be withing 1-2 inches of your armpits

cowboywannabe
01-09-2012, 18:06
neck scoop too low, and a lot of cheap makers use a similar neck scoop cut for the back panel, for you know, when you bend your head backwards to touch your shoulder blades.

get a properly measured and fitted vest. go with U.S. Armor.

COLOSHOOTR
01-14-2012, 06:25
Were do you get the long acoustic tube for your radio? I like the way you have that set up but I would need a long tube like you have to make my unit work.

I 100% agree the OP's vest is cut way to low. Send it back and get the right cut. You will have to be in it for servral years :faint:.

It's a agency issued item so I have no idea where they picked them up. It's also like 6 years old and the new ones have much shorter tubes.