How's this upper - help the noob! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How's this upper - help the noob!

Drjones
01-09-2012, 00:11
Ok, after much mental anguishing on my part, I think this is what I've settled on for an upper:

- BCM 16" govt. profile barrel
- Carbine Length
- Midwest Industries free float handguard
- BCM BCG

$880.00

Thumbs up/down on the price?

FWIW, going to go on an LCW lower, not sure of the parts kit yet, and I just want a standard M4 buttstock - nothing fancy.

01-09-2012, 00:45
- BCM 16" govt. profile barrel
- Carbine Length
- Midwest Industries free float handguard
- BCM BCG

$880.00

Thumbs up/down on the price?
Upper = $650 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Upper-Receiver-MI-p/bcm-urg-m4-16%20mit10%20blk.htm
BCG = $140
CH = $22

Jack Black
01-09-2012, 01:29
I was going to say that sounds high, but I see 12131 did the math already.

WoodenPlank
01-09-2012, 06:51
Can't really beat a BCM on quality (short of Noveske for a lot more money), but as others pointed out, it's cheaper direct through BCM. My only suggestion would be to go with a BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter charging handle, not the standard one. Price difference is about $15.

samuse
01-09-2012, 19:18
If you're gonna get a 16" barrel, I'd really recommend a mid-length gas tube.

Mark Westrom designed that gas length for a 16" barrel.

Drjones
01-09-2012, 20:15
OK, yeah, now I see how I can build it myself through BCM for cheaper...and with IN STOCK products too! :wow:

Dare I ask for opinions on EO Tech vs. Aimpoint? :supergrin:

WoodenPlank
01-09-2012, 20:36
OK, yeah, now I see how I can build it myself through BCM for cheaper...and with IN STOCK products too! :wow:

Hang on, I'll get my popcorn...

TunaFisherman
01-10-2012, 00:38
I bought my BCMs uppers direct from Bravo Company
Another good site to check is
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BCOM

I am putting a BCM 16" Recce mid length together in next few days.

The lowers I bought from G&R and the uppers direct from Bravo.
These are the best prices I could find.

samuse
01-11-2012, 20:12

Whatever EOs the Army uses on the SOPMOD Block II kit (I can't remember the #) are good. The batteries don't last as long but I've seen several of 'em with a lot of use and no issues.

Aimpoints are always cool too.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2012, 01:58
There ARE better choices. Do you really want to risk getting a POS upper,
because you MUST have it now?

AimPoint CompM2......in a Larue mount. :supergrin:

Javelin
01-12-2012, 02:04
Why don't you check out AR15 or M4Carbine and see if someone is getting rid of their upper? I saw some Noveske uppers for sale for pretty reasonable & in that price range.

txgunguy
01-12-2012, 07:45

By going with bcm, how is he risking getting a POS? Is there a recent issue I haven't heard about?

bullittmcqueen
01-12-2012, 08:03
replace that rail tube with a daniel defense or a VTAC, make it mid length instead of carbine and thats about the best you could do.

Drjones
01-12-2012, 08:36
Why don't you check out AR15 or M4Carbine and see if someone is getting rid of their upper? I saw some Noveske uppers for sale for pretty reasonable & in that price range.

Good idea....what would you say is a "reasonable" price for Noveske?
I haven't even looked at them at all, no idea what they cost.

By going with bcm, how is he risking getting a POS? Is there a recent issue I haven't heard about?

Seriously...I've honestly not read one single negative word about BCM....and I've spend hours browsing here, M4Carbine, and other forums....WTF are you talking about?

BBJones
01-12-2012, 11:23

Seriously...I've honestly not read one single negative word about BCM....and I've spend hours browsing here, M4Carbine, and other forums....WTF are you talking about?

Pretty sure he was referring to the EOTech and saying to get an Aimpoint. Not talking about BCM.

MrMurphy
01-12-2012, 11:23
If BCM ever produces a bad product, and somehow it manages to ship, Paul Buffoni will make it good.

That is why they get recommended. Their QC is as good as Colt's, the only thing they're missing is the official gov't inspector.

pag23
01-12-2012, 13:06
BCM = Better Carbines Manufactured...

I couldn't resist being a BCM owner

Javelin
01-12-2012, 13:10
Good idea....what would you say is a "reasonable" price for Noveske?
I haven't even looked at them at all, no idea what they cost.

BCM is a great company. But right now Drjones there is a HUGE glut of AR uppers on the market. You could probably find a nice slightly used upper in the $700ish range. I have even seen (albeit basic) Noveske uppers in that price range. If you are in the market for an upper why not grab a deal at the same time you know?

:wavey:

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2012, 14:21

Oops,.......posted this after reading a thread about newer Bushmasters.
Early morning posting,......

BCM is a rock SOLID choice,.......please excuse the frain bart Fellas! :embarassed:

DieselNut
01-12-2012, 14:44
If you can't find the bcm in stock get an LMT. Its just as good. I bought mine new off gunbroker 2 months after obama got elected. Bravo Company carries them as well does other places.

MrMurphy
01-13-2012, 03:08
Agreed. LMT makes excellent products, they're just harder to find inexpensively.

txgunguy
01-13-2012, 18:54
Oops,.......posted this after reading a thread about newer Bushmasters.
Early morning posting,......

BCM is a rock SOLID choice,.......please excuse the frain bart Fellas! :embarassed:

No harm, no foul. I was just confused.

Drjones
01-14-2012, 09:39
One other thing is that upper in my original post has a free-float, railed has guard already installed. I'd only be saving like $50 or so building it myself...
Does that make it any better a deal?