Is This True? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?

PghJim
01-09-2012, 02:54
I just read an old article in the 2012 Handgauns Annual magazine by Cooper who quoted an article that is in the 1928 Rank and File by Theodore Roosevelt. It is about Alvin York in the first World War and one battle with a 1911. I am old, but not that old to know if there is any truth to this:

"The Germans by this time knew that the brunt of the battle was being borne by one American. They realized they were not quick enough to kill him by frontal attack, so they sent an officer and seven men around his left flank to rush him. These crawled carefully through the brush until they were within 20 yards of him. Then with a yell they sprang up and came at him on a dead run, their fixed bayonets flashing in the sun.

The clip of cartridges in York's rifle was nearly exhausted and he had no time to reload. Dropping his Enfield he seized his automatic pistol (1911). As they came lunging forward through the undergrowth he fired. One after another his foes pitched forward and lay where they fell, huddled gray heaps in the tangled woods. Not only had York killed them all, but each time he had shot at the man in the rear in order that the other might not halt and fire a volley on seeing their comrade fall."

Glolt20-91
01-09-2012, 03:14
That is correct, York fired back to front engaging and killing his attackers with one shot each.

I've seen reenactments of his shooting skills, probably one handed, and he didn't miss. I believe there were 1or 2 marine MOH recipients who also used the 1911 in combat as part of their last ditch efforts.

Tiro Fijo
01-09-2012, 03:48
http://www.historynet.com/alvin-york-and-the-meuse-argonne-offensive.htm