Thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

10-acious
01-09-2012, 08:03
I have been an avid handgun enthusiast ever since my father bought me my first Ruger .22 many years ago. Since that time, I have bought, sold, and shot many different types of handguns in many different calibers. My favorite, a S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum which is now in my fathers hands.

I went through the HK P7 series phase, the 1911 phase (both production and custom) and everything in between. I never got caught up in the Glock bandwagon, although I have owned the 17, 19, 30 and 33 in the past.

It wasn't until I shot a friends 29 that I really became interested in Glock and the 10mm. Unlike most of you here, I don't reload and don't plan on it anytime in the foreseeable future, although I have heard that the 10mm is a reloader's dream. Which brings me to my point, Why isn't it okay for my wife and I to shoot the watered-down loads out of the 29?

robert91922
01-09-2012, 08:14
Not all commercial 10mm loads are the same. Try different brands e.g. Buffalo Bore or Underwood , you will notice difference. And save all 10mm brass, never say never :supergrin: At least, once fired 10mm brass is a good seller.
And of course, welcome to the 10-ring! I am glad you say you like shooting 10mm.

Taterhead
01-09-2012, 08:15
No problem at all. Ammo selection is a personal choice base upon a lot of factors -- objective and subjective. While it is true that some commercial ammo is about the same strength as 40, there are others like Winchester Silvertips that, while not meeting box top claims for velocity, are still in 10mm territory. That would be my first choice for a medium-strength self defense load.

Your 29 should function well with just about any ammo you feed it. Find what you like and can make good hits with, and that is the critical thing. Some guys around here don't like anything unless it is a +p load. But again, it is a personal choice.

rcd567
01-09-2012, 08:33
It's whatever floats your boat. If you like the lighter loads? That's OK. You can go heavier if and when you want. That's the plus of shooting a 10mm instead of just a 40 S&W. There are some real speed freaks here, and that's OK too as long as they understand not all people want to drive a rail dragster.:shocked:

Edit to add commercial: Check out Underwood's Ammo, the bang for your buck. Just google it. 50 rounds of new stuff, pretty stiff for about half the price of premium ammo.

10-acious
01-09-2012, 08:58
Thanks all.

I have about 1000rds right now with a bit of variety going on:

Remington 180gr
BVAC 180gr
Winchester 175gr
Corbon 150gr
DT 135gr
Hornady 155gr

I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on DT's "Bonded Defense" 165gr load. Are they using the Gold Dots or not?

Will be placing an order with Underwood very soon. I hope he can get the Gold Dots in soon.

arushus
01-09-2012, 10:14
One option for you, and especially your wife, since you like shooting weaker loads, would be to get a lonewolf .40sw conversion barrel! Ive got one and it has been nothing short of perfect! You shouldnt have to pay 10mm ammo prices just to shoot a .40sw powered load, know what I mean? So, I'd recommend getting the conversion barrel for a little over a hundred bucks and save yourself some money in the longrun.
For the longest time I wouldnt shoot Tulammo brand ammo out of my gun, dunno why, guess I was afraid it would be too dirty or not run properly. I finally got talked into it by a rather knowledgeable female walmart employee. Im happy as can be with the tulammo .40sw ammo now! It is weaker than WWB, but a lot cheaper too! And when youre just out punching holes in paper or plinking, who cares how powerful it is? So go get yourself a conversion barrel and load up on the cheapest .40sw ammo you can find!

arushus
01-09-2012, 10:16
Oh, and tulammo is about ten dollars cheaper per 100rounds than WWB, and fifteen dollars cheaper than the cheapest 10mm ammo I can find online. So your conversion barrel will pay for itself in only 350-400 rounds of ammo...

21Carrier
01-10-2012, 00:42
You shouldnt have to pay 10mm ammo prices just to shoot a .40sw powered load

This is MY reasoning behind not liking to shoot light loads through my 10mms. However, since I reload, it doesn't matter. I don't see a price increase either way (well, fractions of a cent for the hotter rounds due to powder charge). But if you're buying commercial ammo, why pay 10mm money for what is essentially .40S&W in a 10mm case? In that case, you should just get a G23 or .40S&W conversion barrel.

Some of the ammo you listed is at least medium to medium-hot 10mm ammo. The DT ammo, Silvertips, CorBon, and Hornady stuff is usually above anything that .40S&W can achieve, but not near 10mm max. As long as you're getting what you pay for, and you're happy, that's all that matters. However, if you LIKE shooting the lighter stuff, I'd either get a reloading setup (pays for itself in under 500 rounds with 10mm prices, think about that), or a .40S&W barrel. Definitely go to Underwood when you want to shoot some full-power 10mm stuff. It will open your eyes.

_The_Shadow
01-10-2012, 15:32
10-acious, :welcome: to the forum! The ammo you have on hand is good and will serve your purpose as everyone has pointed to.

The 40S&W conversion made sense for me from a reloaders standpoint...I could enjoy shooting more rounds from the same gun and sights with nothing more than a barrel/ammunition swap...using the plentiful 40S&W brass that is availible. This also saved extra wear on the 10mm brass while still getting plenty trigger time from my G-29 package!:supergrin:

Best regards! :wavey: