how to use a cae gauge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how to use a cae gauge

pm666
01-09-2012, 18:29
I bought a .45acp case gauge which I have temporarily misplaced.
Regardless, I can see how it would tell if the OAL is too long since the round would stick out of the gauge, but how can you tell (using the case gauge) if the round is too short (bullet set too far back)?

Thanks,
paul

unclebob
01-09-2012, 18:43
caliper the only way I know of.

pm666
01-09-2012, 18:45
ok so it's only good for determining if the round is too long?

njl
01-09-2012, 18:55
Too long or not sized properly. If you have a sizing problem or maybe a seating problem, the cartridge can end up too fat to go all the way into the gauge. If you can't find it, just pull the barrel from the gun you use the most, and use it as a case gauge.

The gauge isn't really good for OAL issues anyway...as you may find with various bullets that they hit your rifling before the round exceeds max OAL for the caliber.

unclebob
01-09-2012, 18:55
It also is a check to make sure the round will chamber. I only use the case gauge for my competition ammo.

pm666
01-09-2012, 20:47
Thanks for the info/replies.
That was a waste of money, oh well.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 21:04
It's not a waste of money. But it's not going to do things other then check the round for proper chambering. In many cases it won't even tell you if the round is too long. A long round can hit the rifling on the barrel and the case gauge won't know that at all.

XDRoX
01-09-2012, 21:22
Case gauges don't measure OAL. Why am I the first person in this thread to say this :dunno:

Do case gauges not work like I thought? How could they possibly measure OAL? They have a hole in both ends.

XDRoX
01-09-2012, 21:24
In many cases it won't even tell you if the round is too long.

Are their cases that a CG can tell you if a round is too long? I'm not aware of any.

My Lyman rifle case gauges can be used to measure the length of the brass to determine whether the case needs to be trimmed.

But I've never heard of a CG that checks OAL.

njl
01-09-2012, 21:32
I think Dillon's pistol gauges are actually machined to cartridge max OAL...so if you load a 9mm longer than 1.169, it should stick out the other end. But gauges are more of a "tightest spec chamber" sort of thing, such that other than OAL issues, you know that if the round gauges, it ought to fit any of your guns chambered for that round.

fredj338
01-09-2012, 21:47
ok so it's only good for determining if the round is too long?

Not even then really. The case gage has no rifling, the bullet has nothing to stop against, so it really only tells you if the round is the correct dia & maybe the case the correct length, but OAL, ALWAYS BULLET & GUN specific.:wavey:
I think Dillon's pistol gauges are actually machined to cartridge max OAL...so if you load a 9mm longer than 1.169, it should stick out the other end.
Even if that were true, it would be for one bullet design. A TCFP would fit the bbl of any gun diff than a RNFMJ, even if both were 1.169". Nope see above, always has been, always will be. THey are NOT useless, but not magic either. I like to use them to gage match ammo to find the 1 in 200rds that may have an issue w/ a bad crimp, thick brass or whatever. Oh, I know I could just use a LFCD, but I like my ammo to be accurate too.:tempted:

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 21:47
Are their cases that a CG can tell you if a round is too long? I'm not aware of any.

My Lyman rifle case gauges can be used to measure the length of the brass to determine whether the case needs to be trimmed.

But I've never heard of a CG that checks OAL.

The EGW gauge is made with a chamber and throat cutting tool. So it's cut just like a chamber but more importantly the throat as well. It's pretty tight in both areas. I only had a two of the 5 (it's a 5 round casegauge) not duplicate my KKM barrel perfectly. Those two that didn't were really darn close.

fredj338
01-09-2012, 21:54
The EGW gauge is made with a chamber and throat cutting tool. So it's cut just like a chamber but more importantly the throat as well. It's pretty tight in both areas. I only had a two of the 5 (it's a 5 round casegauge) not duplicate my KKM barrel perfectly. Those two that didn't were really darn close.
One could certainly make case gages or customize them for their exact spec, but it's just not possible for a single gage to work for all bbls & all bullets manuf.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 21:59
One could certainly make case gages or customize them for their exact spec, but it's just not possible for a single gage to work for all bbls & all bullets manuf.

"All" and "single" is the issue. Very few things in life meet that exacting standard. One single thing for ALL applications. Yep, not going to happen. But it's super easy to load a round just a little too long for the EGW gauge and then see if it chambers in your gun. If it chambers in your gun then the gauge is tighter then your gun and you can use it to check your bullet combo for that gun. Just retest it when you change bullets.

ron59
01-09-2012, 23:04
Edited

fredj338
01-10-2012, 10:46
"All" and "single" is the issue. Very few things in life meet that exacting standard. One single thing for ALL applications. Yep, not going to happen. But it's super easy to load a round just a little too long for the EGW gauge and then see if it chambers in your gun. If it chambers in your gun then the gauge is tighter then your gun and you can use it to check your bullet combo for that gun. Just retest it when you change bullets.
Steve, that is like eye balling it, the same thing one can do with calipers & their bbl. That is the issue w/ OAL, it CAN'T be universally applied to every gun & bullet. The reloader must find the correct OAL for his bullet & gun, always. You can use a case gage to eye ball it or your calipers, but unless you make a gage specifically for each bullet & even gun, they don't work that way & you know that.