870 follower opinion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 follower opinion

Jeep junky
01-09-2012, 17:43
A have a pair of 870's,
and my newer of the two had a follower jam up after the first trip to the range.
It didn't fail while at the range, much worse, it happened when I got home and loaded it for for night stand use.
I didn't discover this until I cleaned it a couple of days later,
No spring pressure on the loads when I went to unload.

I Prefer to put ammo into my shotguns, instead of cool after market parts...
but this has me wondering if anyone has tried GG&G's new follower plug.
Any opinions out there?

And yes, I'm looking at there combo deal, for the plug and oversized safety head.
So opinions on that are welcome too.

Lets hear it.
:therapy:

Buffering
01-09-2012, 17:52
I asked aippi a similar question a month or so ago and IIRC, his answer was that whatever you use, don't use a metal follower because it can peen the inside over time. I further recall that he said it didn't make much difference what non-metal material was used but those units with a tail were a waste of money because there is no place for the spring to kink regardless.

I took this to mean that 1. using the factory follower is fine and 2. if you want to replace it just use something that isn't metal but don't be wowed by claims of preventing binding, kinking or saving the children of the world from starvation.

Jeep junky
01-09-2012, 18:01
WOW, not what I thought I would hear!
I definitely had my finger in the koolaid, ready to give it a taste.
I almost fell for the hype!
Starving kids get me every time, but what I really want to avoid is a gun starved of ammo.
So plastic? Really?

collim1
01-09-2012, 18:45
WOW, not what I thought I would hear!
I definitely had my finger in the koolaid, ready to give it a taste.
I almost fell for the hype!
Starving kids get me every time, but what I really want to avoid is a gun starved of ammo.
So plastic? Really?

Plastic is fine. I have been shooting 870's for 15+ yrs and have never had a malfunction related to the mag follower.

Jeep junky
01-09-2012, 19:43
Plastic is fine. I have been shooting 870's for 15+ yrs and have never had a malfunction related to the mag follower.

Indeed,
20,or years behind vent ribs, and short shotties,
this is a first for me. But it did happen.
New gun hickup?:dunno:
Perhaps I should put some more rounds downrange.
Clean.
Repeat.
:thumbsup:

aippi
01-09-2012, 20:05
Does this weapon have a tube extension on it??????????

Jeep junky
01-10-2012, 10:33
Does this weapon have a tube extension on it??????????

Yes,
From the factory,
it has mag tube extension.

aippi
01-10-2012, 11:02
I don't believe your follower stuck. that is just not a common problem. What happened is that the tube extension was not properly installed and the spring got caught in a gap that was created by improper install.

To reslove this go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and Cleaning" Read how to properly install the tube extension and the issue is resolved.

Jeep junky
01-10-2012, 11:37
I don't believe your follower stuck. that is just not a common problem. What happened is that the tube extension was not properly installed and the spring got caught in a gap that was created by improper install.

To reslove this go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and Cleaning" Read how to properly install the tube extension and the issue is resolved.

You Sir,
Are totally onto something here
I don't know you, but I must ask a favor.

PLEASE keep your hands off my shotgun ...
it might like YOU better!

Great (simple ) tip,
I'm betting it got overlooked at the factory.
thanks

Unistat
01-10-2012, 12:32
If you have a clamp around a plastic extension, make sure it is not too tight. That can cause binding on my 870.

my762buzz
01-10-2012, 13:30
I asked aippi a similar question a month or so ago and IIRC, his answer was that whatever you use, don't use a metal follower because it can peen the inside over time.

Ok, but what about this?

There are some great polymer and aluminum followers out there that will serve you well.

aippi
01-10-2012, 14:48
Buff said metal. What I told him is "Steel", but Buff drinks more then me so excuse him, well maybe not more then me but excuse him and I both. Correct, but not steel and never stainless steel. Aluminum is softer then the follower shoulder stop in the mag tube and will not cause slap preening. Polymer of course is a non issue as it can not cause cause slap preening.

CLee0507
01-10-2012, 17:02
Correct, but not steel and never stainless steel. Aluminum is softer then the follower shoulder stop in the mag tube and will not cause slap preening. Polymer of course is a non issue as it can not cause cause slap preening.

I remember the old thread about it and it was a lot of plastic/aluminum vs. stainless steel posts, I don't remember if it was answered but have you ever witnessed the damage caused by this personally? I only ask because I find it hard to imagine that a SS follower after emptying all the shells out of the tube would likely cause any damage to the shoulder stop with the force of a spring which is not released at it's most compressed state, but at it's least compressed state.

I do not want to start another pissing match and do respect your knowledge of the 870, Lord knows you have FAR more expertise than I. I just "can't" see the likelihood of damage during my lifetime or my kid's lifetime.

Nutt51
01-10-2012, 17:07
When I put a Wilson 2 shot extension on my 2 870's, they came with
a new spring and a polymer hi-viz follower. Slick.
Ole' J.D. or Aippi will set you straight, the man knows 870's.
His website instructions helped me on my 870 Express and how to
remove the dimples and attach the aforementioned Wilson.

aippi
01-10-2012, 18:24
Clee -Yes, I have seen it. However, it would not be me they are diagreeing with. On page 66 of "the Remington Shotguns, A shop Manual" Jerry Kuhnhausen talks about the damage steel followers do to the follower shoulder stop. Also, while in attendance at the factory the Instuctor stated this is why Remington stopped using steel followers. They use polymer or aluminum these days.

In those other post guys attacked me as if I was making this up. This is well known by people that know these shotguns and I provided proof, yet, certain people continue to argue the issue. So, I tell them to argue with Remington or with Jerry Kuhnhausen. And by the way, on both occassion when I was at the factory in Ilion I saw Kuhnhausen's book laying on work benches and desk. So if those guys at the Remington think enough of that book it is good enough for me to go buy one and I refer to it often as a reference when stuff comes in that I don't do on a routine basis. That book has saved me a lot of work and kept me from messing up a clients weapon on several occassions.

CLee0507
01-10-2012, 19:38
Thanks Aippi, sounds like a great read.

Buffering
01-10-2012, 20:57
Buff said metal. What I told him is "Steel", but Buff drinks more then me so excuse him, well maybe not more then me but excuse him and I both. Correct, but not steel and never stainless steel. Aluminum is softer then the follower shoulder stop in the mag tube and will not cause slap preening. Polymer of course is a non issue as it can not cause cause slap preening.

I prefaced my answer by saying "IIRC" however I didn't "IIRC". The drinking part? Only me and Bombay Sapphire know the answer to that.

aippi
01-10-2012, 21:40
OMG - I am sitting here with a Bombay and tonic in my hand. If I turn into Buff I will have to shoot myself with one of my own Shotguns. We already think alike and now I find we both drink Import booze from England. That's it when this bottle is gone it is back to Bourbon

Also, if you find the book by Kuhnhausen you will want to keep as the trouble shooting section alone is worth the price of the book. You can find it at www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com)

CLee0507
01-10-2012, 22:34
Thanks again, googled and found it at Midway too.

Kaybe
01-11-2012, 09:05
I wouldn't use a follower with a large dimple in the middle. I have seen those. They will press on the center of the shotshell crimp and loosen it over time. The buffer stuff will come out and get inside the shotgun

CLee0507
01-11-2012, 14:58
I wouldn't use a follower with a large dimple in the middle. I have seen those. They will press on the center of the shotshell crimp and loosen it over time. The buffer stuff will come out and get inside the shotgun

That's interesting because I noticed that stuff in my gun once, I use Vang's follower and I just chalked it up to older shells. My 870 has been in the corner with magazine loaded for years.