lil dandy?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : lil dandy??

easyj75
01-09-2012, 19:38
anyone use the lil dandy?? any pros or cons?? i'm just getting started and it looks like a good idea for a beginner..

thanks

bush pilot
01-09-2012, 21:33
I've been loading for many years and use a Lil Dandy all the time. They're accurate and throw loads as fast as you can turn the rotor.

F106 Fan
01-09-2012, 23:19
I have a couple of them and about 10 rotors. At one time, I loaded .45 ACP on an RCBS "Green Machine" which was an in-line progressive press. The 'Lil Dandy was part of the machine.

They have always worked well but I only did one load. I don't know why I bought all the other rotors but I did it years ago.

Richard

JBnTX
01-10-2012, 07:22
I just started using using the Little Dandy, and so far I like it.

It's quick and almost fool proof.

Three-Five-Seven
01-10-2012, 08:11
The virtue of the Lil' Dandy is that it can be hand-held while charging cases. Sometimes, you want to have your rounds in a case block with fifty rounds ready to charge. In this situation, the charging can be done quickly and accurately with a lil' Dandy. You can then inspect your charges with a light and proceed to bullet seating.

However, there are only a few, specialty situations where you want to charge cases in that way.

The rotors for the Lil' Dandy are expensive, difficult to find, and must be stored. You will find that every time you start a new project where you want to use the Lil' Dandy hand-held you don't have the exact rotor you need to do the job correctly. So, you have to find some rotors or "adjust" your load to use the rotors you have on hand with the powders you have on hand. Not the safest way to do hand loading.

Bottom line, I have a little dandy that I use rarely. I keep it because there are times when it solves a problem in a loading process better than other solutions. However, it is not my main powder measure and it is not convenient for most loading processes.

If you are just starting out you should think about getting a continuously adjustable powder measure. The best powder measure I've used is the Hornady LnL. I recommend you get one of those. You'll quickly spend that amount on a lil' dandy, gathering up the rotors you need.

Brucev
01-11-2012, 06:49
Once upon a time I loaded w/ the Lil Dandy. It worked well. Back then I loaded only a single load or two from my .357 Magnum revolver. It was a very good set-up. Over the years I've just simply tended to use the RCBS Uni-Flow for both handguns and rifles as it is already mounted on the bench, etc. I am currently getting ready to again start loading .38 Special ammo... for a nice S&W 15-3 that I got in a swap a few weeks ago. If at all possible, I will settle on a load that allows me to use the Lil-Dandy. I think it will make loading more convenient, faster, etc.

bdhawk
01-11-2012, 20:09
i have two of them. i used one of them for a long time, 'till i bought my first dillon. i got my second one when i bought out a guy that was quitin' reloading. i have about 20 roters, but some are duplicates. one of them is currently on loan to a friend.

i have an abbreviated chart, supplied by rcbs, that gives you approximate powder weights for different powders with different roters. for instance, one roter was supposed to throw 10gr of unique. it really throws 9.6 gr., which is my pet .44 mag. target load. once you choose the appropriate roter, they are very accurate, fast, and easy to use.

if you are using a single stage press, they are a a big asset.

JBnTX
01-11-2012, 21:53
i have an abbreviated chart, supplied by rcbs, that gives you approximate powder weights for different powders with different roters....

Can you explain more about this abbreviated chart?

Thank You

bdhawk
01-11-2012, 22:03
rcbs supplies the chart. it has the weights of various powders in the different numbered roters. for instance it tells how much powder, say unique, that roters 1, 2, 3, etc., dispenses. my chart is kinda old. the newer ones have a bunch more powders on it.

just google 'rcbs, little dandy powder chart'. you can find a rcbs PDF that is the instructions for the little dandy, and it includes the chart.

Goldstar225
01-12-2012, 05:00
I bought a little dandy in the early 80's to get away from using scoops. As long as you only use a couple of different charge weights it's fine. By the time you buy a few rotors you're up to the price of a uniflow without the versatility. I usd the little dandy for about 10 years but retired it in favor of the uniflow about 18 years ago.

Kasinefect
01-12-2012, 05:06
I have used a Little Dandy for many years though I have a Uniflow. It is a great way to speed up reloading.

thorn137
01-12-2012, 07:06
If my powder rotor was throwing 9.6gr instead of 10gr every time, I would be pissed and wonder what I was doing wrong. It sounds like a terrible solution for a beginner.

Doesn't sound dandy at all. Nay... dandyless, it is.

thorn

bdhawk
01-12-2012, 07:34
If my powder rotor was throwing 9.6gr instead of 10gr every time, I would be pissed and wonder what I was doing wrong. It sounds like a terrible solution for a beginner.

Doesn't sound dandy at all. Nay... dandyless, it is.

thorn

the chart is just a guideline. if the roter throws a bit too little or a bit too much, just select another roter. you still need to use your scales. you would have the same issues with lee's powder dippers and their charts, and any other powder dispenser that uses a fixed cavity. once you find the roter that fits your needs, make a notation in your records and you are good to go.

powders change in density over the years