Pistol Grip or No? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip or No?

youngbuck
01-09-2012, 20:18
I used to have a Mossberg 590 with Surefire light, side shell holder, knoxx stock, and door breacher barrel. Unfortunately I sold it for another pistol but have been looking at getting another one. I am just wondering if I should get a standard stock or a collapsable/pistol grip style?

This will be an HD gun and I would like to add another Surefire light and a Mesa Tactical sure shell holder so I could possibly mount a small optic to it

Lugi
01-09-2012, 21:41
Standard stock....nice simple and solid.

WoodenPlank
01-09-2012, 21:43
Shoulder stock with pistol grip? Sure. Pistol grip ONLY stock? No.

Lugi
01-09-2012, 21:48

I agree....

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/HIJODEPERRA/My%20Guns/000_0718.jpg

Speed feed stock.

XXLTexan
01-09-2012, 21:51
I have a 870 Express "Tactical" by my bed with a straight stock. That said you could argue that a pistol grip is harder to pull out of your hand by a home invader. My 0.02.

youngbuck
01-10-2012, 01:28
Perhaps I should clarify, I dont want a straight pistol grip. I mean a pistol grip with shoulder stock

MadMonkey
01-10-2012, 01:46

This.

frankr
01-10-2012, 03:19
I replaced the standard buttstock that came on my Mossberg 930 SPX with the Choate Mark V pistol grip style buttstock. I feel like I have better control of the gun when tactical reloading, and my follow up shots get on target faster. I like the way the gun swings into my shoulder and I feel like the recoil is slightly reduced because of the pistol grip especally on my 870.

513GunGuy
01-10-2012, 04:08
I would go standard stock just for ease of use.

Nestor
01-10-2012, 04:26
Standard stock.

22highcaps
01-10-2012, 06:44
I love stocks with pistol grips but even I would not put one on a Mossberg due to its safety location. That is probably why I do not own a Mossberg.

WoodenPlank
01-10-2012, 07:51
I love stocks with pistol grips but even I would not put one on a Mossberg due to its safety location. That is probably why I do not own a Mossberg.

I have to agree with this. It's the reason I use straight a straight stock, not a pistol grip stock.

fuzzy03cls
01-10-2012, 08:35
If it fits you. They don't fit me. Even the 12" lop was uncomfortable. I had to use a knoxx stock. Now it fits me & I use it well.

And the safety I do not care about. My finger is the safety. Just like a Glock.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/fuzzytheman/Guns/590a1stock.jpg

Glock411
01-10-2012, 08:50
I have 6 shotguns with the pistol grip, 2 are Mossberg crusiers (no comment), 2 Factory Benelli's M1 and M2 with their factory stock, (They are awesome) I have 2 870's with Mesa Tactical AR stock and Goodies one is the High and one Low, They are also incredible a little pricey but totally worth it. The great thing about Mesa Tactical stock it is super quality and it is adjustable to fit different people and what you maybe wearing.

sgt-spam
01-10-2012, 08:51
I LOVE my SpeedFeed IV stock.

Lugi
01-10-2012, 20:47
Perhaps I should clarify, I dont want a straight pistol grip. I mean a pistol grip with shoulder stock

Well.....like I first said then.

Ferdinandd
01-10-2012, 21:29
I've used shotguns in practical matches, and lots of HD/SD practice based upon that. I definately prefer a PG shoulder stock. It makes reloading easier, along with anything else that you need to do with only one hand on the gun. It would aid gun retention as well, if that is a concern, I'd imagine.

Nestor
01-11-2012, 04:29
It would aid gun retention as well, if that is a concern, I'd imagine.

Actually opposite.

.50 cal
01-11-2012, 08:13
Actually opposite.

How so?

Nestor
01-11-2012, 13:48
How so?

Any opponent who has hold of the other end of the shotgun and levers back, jams your thumb joint in the juncture between grip and trigger guard.
You have two choices:
- let it go,
- have thumb torn out of the socket.
You still have a slight chance of relocating your hand behind the pistol grip to get better position for retention, but you will have to let it go first anyway (not good at all with the guy holding your shotgun on the other end) and be blessed with excellent reflexes.
With the standard stock your hand is in much stronger position to resist that movement.
The worst stock to have in terms of weapon's retention is the pistol grip only.

frankr
01-12-2012, 02:41
I have no problem with the location of the safety on my Mossberg 930 SPX. When my 930 SPX is used for home defense as with any of my shotguns I keep 5 rounds in the magazine tube, chamber empty with the safety off. But of course the safety is ALWAYS ON when ever the gun is not being used for home defense, even if the gun is empty and stored the safety is on. None of my Glocks have external safety’s and both the Glock 27 I carry and the Glock 23 next to my bed our loaded with one in the chamber. I have a pistol grip style shoulder stock on both my 870 and 930SPX and if they made one for my Winchester SXP Defender I’d have one on it also. I really like them especially on my semi auto.

22highcaps
01-12-2012, 20:34
Any opponent who has hold of the other end of the shotgun and levers back, jams your thumb joint in the juncture between grip and trigger guard.
You have two choices:
- let it go,
- have thumb torn out of the socket.
You still have a slight chance of relocating your hand behind the pistol grip to get better position for retention, but you will have to let it go first anyway (not good at all with the guy holding your shotgun on the other end) and be blessed with excellent reflexes.
With the standard stock your hand is in much stronger position to resist that movement.

Is there a YouTube video out there explaining what you posted? I am having a really hard time picturing it.

Bob Hafler
01-13-2012, 14:13
Rifle stock w/pistol grips works for me.

Nestor
01-13-2012, 17:04
Is there a YouTube video out there explaining what you posted? I am having a really hard time picturing it.

Sorry, but I have no idea.

Blast
01-14-2012, 04:23
I prefer straight stock. More versatile. Much smoother/faster transition from shooting to using buttstock as blunt force weapon.
I also don't care much for side saddles except for the five shell elastic band around rear stock.

01-19-2012, 20:50
Having run shotguns with pistol grip stocks almost exlusively (knoxx stock) and then running a standard stock, I much prefer the standard stock. Gun just handles better.

I think the bottom line though is that it is really a matter of preference. So try both.

G30Mike
01-19-2012, 21:50

I use pistol grip only. Explain please.

WoodenPlank
01-20-2012, 01:38

Least amount of grip space overall, no stock means no toe of the stock to shove into an assailants chin, cheek, or chest to break close contact, least amount of leverage at the rear of the gun to counter a muzzle grab. Not to mention inherently less accurate than a shoulder stock, due to difficulty in using the sights.

Unless it's a dedicated breaching gun for an entry team, or an AOW-type shotgun (Ie: Serbu), I see no need for a PGO stock. If you need something that compact, look at some of the various folding and collapsing stocks on the market instead.

Nestor
01-20-2012, 15:15

Pistol with the long barrel is much easier to be taken away from You than a short barreled pistol. Now think about the shotgun with the pistol grip as about extreme long pistol. You have no leverage at all with the pistol grip when the BG will grab your barrel. Standard stock is MUCH better choice for CQB scenario as it allows You to defend yourself against the gun grabbing attempt.
I won't even mention accuracy as it was already explained above.

CTfam
01-20-2012, 20:00
I prefer a standard stock on a pump shotgun. Something about working the action and having your hands in different postions feels odd to me. (One on the pump and the other hand on the pistol grip.) It feels more natural (to me) having your hands on the same plain. If that makes sense...

Anything else I say PG stock all day!

Louisville Glocker
01-20-2012, 20:24
My answer...(old photo, Eotech on there now also). Ten Buckshot shells ready to roll.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z461/LouisvillePhoto/shotgun/105.jpg

G30Mike
01-20-2012, 21:09
Least amount of grip space overall, no stock means no toe of the stock to shove into an assailants chin, cheek, or chest to break close contact, least amount of leverage at the rear of the gun to counter a muzzle grab. Not to mention inherently less accurate than a shoulder stock, due to difficulty in using the sights.

Unless it's a dedicated breaching gun for an entry team, or an AOW-type shotgun (Ie: Serbu), I see no need for a PGO stock. If you need something that compact, look at some of the various folding and collapsing stocks on the market instead.

Pistol with the long barrel is much easier to be taken away from You than a short barreled pistol. Now think about the shotgun with the pistol grip as about extreme long pistol. You have no leverage at all with the pistol grip when the BG will grab your barrel. Standard stock is MUCH better choice for CQB scenario as it allows You to defend yourself against the gun grabbing attempt.
I won't even mention accuracy as it was already explained above.

Gotcha, less to hold on to. Makes sense. I've always had my HD shotguns set up like this, and have practiced at the range a lot. From my experience I've found that I'm as accurate with it as I am with a regular stock, so accuracy for me is fine in that regard. Thanks guys.